IGNORED

The Official Blackburn Rovers v Bristol City Match Day Thread

Just now, old_eastender said:

Terrible tactics by us in the last 5 mins... at least 3 times Tammy gets hold of the ball well in their half but no City player within 30 yards of him and eventually he gets muscled out of it. Still at least we held on.

We didn't really have any choice. It was shit or bust for them. They're chucking 9 men forward, we can't afford to have someone alongside Tammy. 

If we take a step back the difference between 1 and 3 points should be insignificant. Today was about chalking one more game off leaving them 3 hard games and us two winnable games plus a four/five point advantage. It would've been nice to make the gap 7 with a win, but as soon as we're down to 5m 1-1 we simply have to defend the Alamo. And in the context of games left, it much better they drop 2 than we do. 

Just now, RUSSEL85 said:

Really? If we lost it would been bedlam on here. Draw is fine.

We have gained no ground away from the zone. We could have, and should have been in a position to make Blackburn need maximum points from their last three games. Now if we don't win against Barnsley on Saturday we need to go to the champions-elect needing to do better.

In spite of our recent run this has been yet another game of too many where we let in one goal when we should have killed the game.

Just now, sephjnr said:

We have gained no ground away from the zone. We could have, and should have been in a position to make Blackburn need maximum points from their last three games. Now if we don't win against Barnsley on Saturday we need to go to the champions-elect needing to do better.

In spite of our recent run this has been yet another game of too many where we let in one goal when we should have killed the game.

We've gained MASSIVE ground. This was Blackburn's best chance for points. One less game. We've definitely gained 

That was a very nervous afternoon checking the score on my phone, especially once they'd equalised. 

Happy with a draw - I definitely would have taken that this morning. Still four points clear of Blackburn and another point gained on Brum and Forest. Hope the City fans who trekked north have a good journey home.

4 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Terrible tactics by us in the last 5 mins... at least 3 times Tammy gets hold of the ball well in their half but no City player within 30 yards of him and eventually he gets muscled out of it. Still at least we held on.

You think getting men behind the ball to defend a crucial point when under siege from the opposition who desperately need the win is a terrible tactic?

What would you have said if we'd conceded late on with two loitering around up top?

• Like 1

I was so nervous during the game, removed myself from her as I just didn't know what to do with myself. A precious point, always a gutter when you have been dominant and were winning the game but I would have taken a point beforehand and it's one less game now for teams around us.*

*No doubt these points have been made but as I refreshed this thread and found over 200 new replies I haven't read them all!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 29AR said:

We've gained MASSIVE ground. 

No, we haven't. It's still 4pts, and it's only gone from 4pts with 15 available to 4pts with 9 left. And I would be far more comfortable needing to get the job done vs Barnsley at the Gate in front of our white-hot crowd, than vs Brighton at their place with their white-hot crowd.

Edited by sephjnr
Just now, ChippenhamRed said:

You think getting men behind the ball to defend a crucial point when under siege from the opposition who desperately need the win is a terrible tactic?

What would you have said if we'd conceded late on with two loitering around up top?

By playing that way we were just inviting pressure, and time after time this season we have then cracked under that pressure. Far better to get someone up in support of Tammy to give the defence some breathing space. Thankfully this time it didn't cost us.

Just now, sephjnr said:

No, we haven't. It's still 4pts, and it's only gone from 4pts with 15 available to 4pts with 9 left. And I would be far more comfortable needing to get the job done vs Barnsley at the Gate in front of our white-hot crowd. than vs Brighton at their place with their white-hot crowd.

Maintaining the gap while reducing the remaining games in which your rivals could potentially catch you by 25% is unquestionably gaining ground.

A good result today that turns the pressure on those immediately around us.

Ideal situation now would be win against Barnsley on Sat, failing that (Brighton result dependent), it could be a very interesting last game of the season especially if Brum need to win to stay up!

Well done today City.....a well earned point.

Edited by MelksRed
2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Can't win em all. Good result. Just need to continue being professional and safety will come. 

Serioualy squeaky bum time now in the Midlands!

Think Birmingham's run in shades Forest's in being the tougher of the two - the fact they need to come here last game is a double edged sword, as we might be safe, but also might need something, and they are in abysmal form.

Praying Brighton grab the title next Friday so our game there is a celebration for them; might be able to catch them on their heels. 

Edited by samo II
  • Like 1
Just now, sephjnr said:

No, we haven't. It's still 4pts, and it's only gone from 4pts with 15 available to 4pts with 9 left. And I would be far more comfortable needing to get the job done vs Barnsley at the Gate in front of our white-hot crowd, than vs Brighton at their place with their white-hot crowd.

Tbf 4 points ahead with 9 available is a position most would have given their right arm for around 3-4 weeks ago.

Just now, samo II said:

Think Birmingham's run is shades Forest's in being the tougher of the two - the fact they need to come here last game is a Doyle edged sword, as we might be safe, but also might need something, and they are in abysmal form.

Praying Brighton grab the title next Friday so our game there is a celebration for them; might be able to catch them on their heels. 

Hoping we can be completely safe come the last day. Would be funny to send Brum down at AG after they did the same to us a few years back!

• Like 3
Just now, cynic said:

Off course we have, we probably need 3 points maximum now - hopefully against Barnsley on saturday.

Very good point for us, keeps them at arms length 4 points (5 with GD) in front with 3 games left. 

Shame we didn't take the chances for 3 points but would have taken the point beforehand.

We were 25/1 for relegation before this game and I suspect the odds will be even longer now - people who think we haven't improved our position can always stick a few quid on that I suppose (waste of money mind).

Everyone talking about the missed chances.........were we missing sitters?

Just now, cynic said:

Off course we have, we probably need 3 points maximum now - hopefully against Barnsley on saturday.

Very good point for us, keeps them at arms length 4 points (5 with GD) in front with 3 games left. 

Shame we didn't take the chances for 3 points but would have taken the point beforehand.

We were 25/1 for relegation before this game and I suspect the odds will be even longer now - people who think we haven't improved our position can always stick a few quid on that I suppose (waste of money mind).

At this point, even a point next week means Blackburn HAVE to win to realistically push us to the last day.

I'm certainly not complacent; a win next week should be the aim, as would make it very hard for anyone to catch us.  But we held on today, and always have Birmingham at home last day in our pocket, and I'd take us versus them last day to stay up if offered now.