IGNORED

Where are the doubters now?

Inactive user

6 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Still a LJ doubter and I'm still here.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. When LJ was announced, I groaned. He had no experience of the Championship and no success with previous teams. 

Oldham and Barnsley fans came on here and told us what to expect. They weren't wrong were they?

So I buckled down and gave LJ my support. Some good signings made over the summer - Tammy albeit on loan came after direct intervention from LJ, Brownhill, Patto, O'Dowda and Mags were positives. Then he made a few shockers - O'Neil (Poor Gaz wouldn't make the move so now has to commute up and down the M4 daily), Engvall (who the **** is Engvall?) and Matthews (thankfully he is on loan - just turned to dog muck and no one knows why).

New Year time and I started to get fed up. Either the Cardiff or Reading game and I was thinking, he's gonna have to go. I cant wick it when clubs go choppy changy with managers but I'd felt he'd run his course. SL stuck by him.

Then came the Burton game and magic, the ride evened out bar Brentford and PNE, which brings us to now.

I still don't think he is the right man. But he'll get his 3rd window. He'll have 5 to 10 games to show his new team. If we are in the relly zone come October, I'll be writing to Keith Dawe myself and begging him to pick another man and to dig his heels in if SL isn't in agreement.

BS3 area? Luckwell, Ashton Gate, Ashton Vale, Southville, South St. Or Ashton Park, Bemmy Down if talking secondary school.

Our lips are sealed

Just noticed that none of this makes any sense  :laugh: Something's got a bit mixed up here. I was saying about how Dolly reminds me of a teacher... but we're back to LJ     weird

17 hours ago, reddoh said:

I Think we would be in a bloody mess without Tammy and Pack

Interesting that you include Pack. On his day - QPR and Wolves at home recently - he can be excellent. Besides his diagonal passes (you can tell it's not his day when they sail into row D [his day also includes powering into tackles, like the won, v QPR I think, where he chased and chased and hammered someone near the dugouts]), he can play passes few others of our midfield will (not can, but will). His pass for Paterson's goal v QPR - shaping to give it sideways to Little, giving his man the eye and then a direct pass forward to Taylor who'd lost his man - was the sort of pass we expect from Tomlin.

It's the sort of pass we see many Championship midfielders play: effective, creative, positive. Too much of our midfield passing, as has been noted many times, is about just keeping the ball. Pack is guilty of this as are they all. I guess it's drummed in tot hem in training. Yet we have players who can mix that up. If you keep passing sideways the opposition know what yr gonna do. If you mix it up, and this works for any area of the game/pitch, the opposition will be on their heels a bit, not being able to know if you'll do A or B (or C, if you're really good).

Many opposition players can just push our midfielders - pack, Smith, O'N - further and further back, having to pick the ball up from the c-halves. Let us have the ball there, they'll think, we won't hurt them as the ball shuttles from Flint to Wright to Fielding etc.

Yet Reid, Tomlin (although we'd prefer hi to be in the final third of the pitch) and Pack can hit a direct pass forward, move us from one gear to another, add some thrust and surprise to our game. Sure, lull the opposition in to thinking we're just going to pass and pass and wait, then hit a ball to a moving Taylor, Paterson, Tammy, whoever. Just that split second of switching off from marking will give us 2 yards of space, 5 yards of space, enough to do some damage.

Our best performances are quick passing (isn't everybody's best like that?), direct and positive. You can't do that all the time, obvs, some of it has to be sideways (unless you're the bloke who was stood nx to me v QP who demanded it forward every single time we had the all and bollocked everyone - me, included - when this failed to materialise. I moved for the 2nd half) But if 95% of the time it's sideways, ineffective, harmless, you might as well not bother. Those have been our worst performances. 

We have all seen, this season and last, teams like Reading and Brentford (esp last season) move the ball quickly and at speed. It's frightening to watch when you're on the end of it. I remember thinking the same when Blackburn came down, opening game of 1990, think they went 1-0 up, Howard Gayle? Obvs that was 27 years ago, but speed of play is so hard to defend against. Pedestrian, predictable, ponderous is so easy to defend against. We need to be the former. It doesn't matter who replaces Tammy, strikers thrive on getting the ball, so bloody get it to them!

Pack can do this. His pass to Paterson for the first on Sat was splendid. Almost impossible to defend against. But Pack doesn't do that often enough for me. 

Without Tammy, we'd be shafted, as reddoh says. Not so sure about Pack. Think without him we'd be roughly where we are. He doesn't have enough games that he dominates. I like him (although I haven't fallen in love with him, as the song goes*), but we could do better, quite easily, I think, in the transfer window (although personally I'd start Hegeler nx season).

Interested as to why you think Pack is up there with Tammy, reddoh...

*I guess that makes me a gAsshole as some bellends on this forum suggested the other day. Face palm. Laughter. 

7 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

Understand your point. However, Jose has earned his stripes.

When LJ has a few Champions League, Premiership, FA Cup and foreign titles then maybe he can earn the respect of players and can dress them down in public. Winning something would be a step in the right direction. Winning two relegation fights, one self-imposed, ain't a great CV to date.

My fear is that we have a repeat of his dad. He can't man-manage the bigger names, who are necessary to push us to the levels we aspire. 

Anyhows, onwards and upwards. We've got him for a while so let's hope he and his self-selected young and inexperienced coaching team can take their 'L Plates' off soon.

Just wondering why all these players who cannot stand LJ's guts, managed to pull up their collective socks, and let's face it, start performing when most needed ie Now.

Plus, it was hardly a bloody character assasination of these guys was it? I would hope they would be big enough and old enough not to cry about it like little kids. Whatever he did, we stayed up and with some breathing space.. for me, he turned it round. All about opinions, respect yours

On 23/04/2017 at 05:01, Dollymarie said:

I've deleted a bunch of posts, I'm aware people may have a cider or 6 on board, be nice please, attack the post, not the poster

OK Dolly!

I've smashed the s**t out of the mail and torn all the envelopes to shreds.

According to my anger management counsellor, I should feel calmer, but I'm stil angry........

What the hell!    I'm gonna tear down the City poster off the wall and face the consequences..

1 hour ago, AppyDAZE said:

Just wondering why all these players who cannot stand LJ's guts, managed to pull up their collective socks, and let's face it, start performing when most needed ie Now.

Plus, it was hardly a bloody character assasination of these guys was it? I would hope they would be big enough and old enough not to cry about it like little kids. Whatever he did, we stayed up and with some breathing space.. for me, he turned it round. All about opinions, respect yours

Well, self-preservation must be a factor. Don't think flash Range's and BMW's would look right outside tinpot grounds in the league below. Just think the Mem and St James Park - they couldn't accommodate the sort of ego's we have!

Anyhows, we're stuck with LJ. Appreciate he's had a difficult season and a number of the reasons for that have not been entirely his fault. MA, for all his froth, is also culpable as are many of the players.

Here's hoping that 'I've learned' isn't just (more) weasel words and that both LJ and MA genuinely have and, most importantly ensure they don't make the same errors again. 

Happy, for now, to back the Club and look forward to LJ ripping up the division next year. Not quite sure though whether I would offer praise for the Club saving itself from a self-inflicted crisis, however churlish that might seem to some. 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 21:37, Rednwhiterob said:

I've had a self imposed exile for a while but to all of the bed wetters who ripped into me when I said we wouldn't go down, we'll I'm pleased to say you were wrong. Hahahaha :clapping::clapping::sub::sub::P:P

The doubters are still waiting for us to be mathematically safe before sprouting their mouths off

Archived