IGNORED

We are not safe yet.

tinman85

6 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

WE ARE SAFE

Yes but no but yes but...

Of course the rational part of me now says it would need a whole run of results to go the wrong way for us to go down. 

Equally, as a Bristol City fan who can see every permutation, do I feel 'more than 250/1' safe?

Nope

(ps, even worked out Blackburn need to improve their goal difference by 10 compared to us, as we have scored more goals...)

Just now, cityexile said:

Yes but no but yes but...

Of course the rational part of me now says it would need a whole run of results to go the wrong way for us to go down. 

Equally, as a Bristol City fan who can see every permutation, do I feel 'more than 250/1' safe?

Nope

Well, try it  . WE ARE SAFE I promise you

3 hours ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Agree it is not at all likely but it's not as simple as Blackburn having to "win big" to catch us, they don't.

Routine wins for them and routine defeats for us could mean they overtake us.

As you say would take a miracle for at least one of the others currently below us not to stay there.

The point we're forgetting is that Blackburn haven't managed a league win by more than one goal since December. And only three times all season (only once against a team higher than 23rd). So "routine wins" it ain't. 

Winning a couple of games on the trot by two goals would be a feat Blackburn haven't achieved since... November 2014.

And even then we'd have to lose our two games with a goal difference of at least -6 (OK, so you don't have to go back quite as far for that one...)

If we have no keeper on the bench Saturday and Frankie gets sent off conceding a penalty in first minute , flowed by Flint and Korey for arguing and Villa have to field their U16s against Blackburn due to a vomiting bug through the whole club we could be a bit nervy going into the Brum game 

We are not safe, but to put it in perspective, if my calculations are right there are 243 different permutations of the results of our, Birmingham's and Blackburn's final two games, and only one of those 243 permutations could lead to us being relegated (Blackburn and Birmingham win both games, we lose both games).  Having said that, I can't see us getting anything from Brighton on Saturday, so if Blackburn and Birmingham do win, its going to go down to the final Saturday and we have got the game we do not want, against one of the other relegation candidates.  Still far from comfortable about this situation.

Mind you, if QPR beat Forest on Saturday - and the law of averages says they've got to win a match some time - that leaves Forest 3 points behind us with one to play.

The key to all of this is not to collapse against Brighton on Saturday.  We must not lose by more than two goals.

11 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

This is true, seriously though are there still the doubters that think we are not safe?

We were safe when we drew with Blackburn,

Sorry mate but whatever way you look at it, we are not yet safe.  You think and hope we will be, but it hasn't happened yet.  At the moment there is still a realistic possibility of us going down.  Blackburn win two games; Birmingham win two games; we lose two games (including one at the probable champions) and we could be down.  That is unlikely, but football is a strange game and unlikely things do sometimes happen (ask the Gas...).  It is not as if we have a +20 advantage on goal difference...   

3 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Would you use a parachute that was 250/1 safe?

surelly odds are not probability? One is an attempt to work out if something will happen, the other is an attempt to get you to bet, modified by the number of people who take you up that bet?

Let's put it another way.

I know it's different when it's your own team and there will always be nervous nagging doubts, but I think us going down is as likely as Wigan staying up. 

Wigan are 23rd, 6 points behind Birmingham but with a BETTER goal difference than them, but who realistically believes that they will survive the drop?

Now don't we all feel better.

As a lifelong pessimist and knowing that City can always contrive to do the impossible, like losing a game when 3-0 up in the 89th minute, I am really confident that we will not be relegated this season, even though I was pretty sure we would be, way back in November.

There are too many teams below us, two of whom play each other, QPR v Florist, and our superior goal difference, to see us going down. That is not a sea change to "optimism" but just being realistic.

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

We are not safe, but to put it in perspective, if my calculations are right there are 243 different permutations of the results of our, Birmingham's and Blackburn's final two games, and only one of those 243 permutations could lead to us being relegated (Blackburn and Birmingham win both games, we lose both games).  Having said that, I can't see us getting anything from Brighton on Saturday, so if Blackburn and Birmingham do win, its going to go down to the final Saturday and we have got the game we do not want, against one of the other relegation candidates.  Still far from comfortable about this situation.

Mind you, if QPR beat Forest on Saturday - and the law of averages says they've got to win a match some time - that leaves Forest 3 points behind us with one to play.

The key to all of this is not to collapse against Brighton on Saturday.  We must not lose by more than two goals.

That's a good analysis, which could even be added to.

In the event of City losing both, and Blackburn and Birmingham winning both, we will stay up in any of the following scenarios:

- The goal difference swing to Blackburn is less than 9

- Burton lose both their games

- QPR beat Forest and Forest fail to win their final game

- Forest beat QPR and QPR fail to win their final game

- QPR and Forest draw, and both fail to win their final games

If you work it out, which I have, sort of, the odds on us going down are probably around 5,000 to 1, which I believe is what Leicester were to win the Premiership..................

16 minutes ago, NickJ said:

That's a good analysis, which could even be added to.

In the event of City losing both, and Blackburn and Birmingham winning both, we will stay up in any of the following scenarios:

- The goal difference swing to Blackburn is less than 9

- Burton lose both their games

- QPR beat Forest and Forest fail to win their final game

- Forest beat QPR and QPR fail to win their final game

- QPR and Forest draw, and both fail to win their final games

If you work it out, which I have, sort of, the odds on us going down are probably around 5,000 to 1, which I believe is what Leicester were to win the Premiership..................

Good post.  Actually QPR fans must be feeling pretty nervous at the moment: Forest look as though they are putting a bit of form together, and I wouldn't bet against them winning on Saturday, then QPR go to Norwich on the last day of the season...

Anyone reading the Brum or Blackburn fans forums?

Archived