IGNORED

We are not safe yet.

tinman85

21 hours ago, WessexPest said:

All the Villa fans I know - and I know a fair few - are supporting Blackburn against their own team! Be interesting to see what impact that has on the players...

That's an interesting point - if we were in Villa's position, nothing to play for, we're playing a team fighting against the Gas for survival would you want City to lose? 

If people do that then they are putting their hatred for another team ahead of their support of their own team.

Just now, Monkeh said:

well if birmingham fail to win (but get a point) and we lose 4-0 they would still have to beat us 13-0 to stay up

Could be close if we brought back Hunt, Nyatanga, Fontaine and Mcgivern

14 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

There are five teams below us that need to do better than us in the remaining ten matches, and some given our much better gd.

For that to happen is ....well I did calculate the odds, and it is in the region of 25 million / 1  :yawn:

Yes, but some don't have to do very much better.  If you take it a week at a time, the nightmare scenario gets a little more scary.  What if the following happened on Saturday?

• We lose to Brighton by three goals
  • Burton draw at Barnsley
  • Forest beat QPR by a single goal
  • Birmingham beat Huddersfield by a single goal
  • Blackburn beat Villa by two goals

Any of that might happen, and then the position going into the last match is:

• Burton        52 -12
  • City            51  -9
  • Forest        51  -10
  • QPR           50  -13
  • Brum          50  -21
  • Blackburn   48  -13

So Burton are safe, but its all to play for for the rest of us on the final day, and I can't see Birmingham rolling over.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be over as much as anyone else and I know that this is looking at worst case scenario, but my nerves are really playing up this week!

I'm a half glass is nearly full sort of chap. I think we're up and can see us getting something at Brighton. We've done it before, Middlesbrough last season and a draw at Newcastle this year. If someone offered me this position a month ago I'd of bitten their arms off.

Just now, elruli said:

I'm a half glass is nearly full sort of chap. I think we're up and can see us getting something at Brighton. We've done it before, Middlesbrough last season and a draw at Newcastle this year. If someone offered me this position a month ago I'd of bitten their arms off.

Then it would be sensible never to offer you anything Elrui - you never know when you might turn and "bite yer arm off"!

10 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Yes, but some don't have to do very much better.  If you take it a week at a time, the nightmare scenario gets a little more scary.  What if the following happened on Saturday?

• Burton        52 -12
  • City            51  -9
  • Forest        51  -10
  • QPR           50  -13
  • Brum          50  -21
  • Blackburn   48  -13

So Burton are safe, but its all to play for for the rest of us on the final day, and I can't see Birmingham rolling over.

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be over as much as anyone else and I know that this is looking at worst case scenario, but my nerves are really playing up this week!

Ok - so lets all go and jump off the suspension bridge! 

35 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

• Burton        52 -12
  • City            51  -9
  • Forest        51  -10
  • QPR           50  -13
  • Brum          50  -21
  • Blackburn   48  -13

Well after that I'm convinced were doomed.

Going to smack a ton on that skybet at 1000/1

Thanks for that my pension is now sorted!!!!

36 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

• Burton        52 -12
  • City            51  -9
  • Forest        51  -10
  • QPR           50  -13
  • Brum          50  -21
  • Blackburn   48  -13

You are doing your level best to ruin my optimism, I have been through enough already this season, I don't need this, But if all that did happen I promise I would by a ST at the Mesmorising Ground.....   

45 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

• Burton        52 -12
  • City            51  -9
  • Forest        51  -10
  • QPR           50  -13
  • Brum          50  -21
  • Blackburn   48  -13

I'm with you in wanting to guard against complacency!  At this time of the season strange things happen with out of form results often based on teams who need points finding a way of getting them against those with nothing to play for. I wouldn't be surprised to see Blackburn beat villa on Saturday. QPR v Forest will also be a very interesting game. 

But - for all those things to happen is one hell of an accumulator. Maybe we can relax just this once...

Experimental361's stats machine gives us a 0% chance of going down.  The lad runs thousands of simulations and is used by Paddy Power and other bookies.  he uses the data from all shots faced and attempted to predict the likely outcomes of all matches. We're done.

2017-04-25-ch-probabilities.png?w=860&h=792

Full explanation: https://experimental361.com/2017/04/25/e-ratings-update-championship-25-apr-2017/

3 hours ago, hoxton casual said:

surelly odds are not probability? One is an attempt to work out if something will happen, the other is an attempt to get you to bet, modified by the number of people who take you up that bet?

That true. But probably not too far from the probability. Allowing for a margin. 

20 hours ago, Neo said:

1. We will be safe by the time we play Brighton

2. We will get at least a point against Brighton

I will quote this thread at 7:30 Saturday to show I was right x

This is the highly like scenario particularly point one. 

However this is us. Anything weird that can happen may happen. Villa fail to show up and why would they 'professional pride pah' there will be many villa fans secretly hoping they lose. 

Fingers crossed its all over for us by five on Friday. Maybe we get the chance to see McCoulsky relegate Brum! 

5 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

This is the highly like scenario particularly point one. 

However this is us. Anything weird that can happen may happen. Villa fail to show up and why would they 'professional pride pah' there will be many villa fans secretly hoping they lose. 

Fingers crossed its all over for us by five on Friday. Maybe we get the chance to see McCoulsky relegate Brum! 

Not sure it will be.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Experimental361's stats machine gives us a 0% chance of going down.  The lad runs thousands of simulations and is used by Paddy Power and other bookies.  he uses the data from all shots faced and attempted to predict the likely outcomes of all matches. We're done.

2017-04-25-ch-probabilities.png?w=860&h=792

Full explanation: https://experimental361.com/2017/04/25/e-ratings-update-championship-25-apr-2017/

The bit above that is interesting- it has us as 9th in Exp. Goals scored/conceded Ratio, but then you factor in the individual bits- 7th best attack in League according to Expected goals per game...but 18th best defence. Midtable!

If that model is anything to go by...Reading would be 23rd!

2 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

• Burton        52 -12
  • City            51  -9
  • Forest        51  -10
  • QPR           50  -13
  • Brum          50  -21
  • Blackburn   48  -13

I think you're driving yourself a little nuts here. I don't expect all of those stars to align. Final day Blackburn are at Brentford - a bloody tough place to get a result.

I don't expect us to get  anything from Brighton but they will either be in cruise control or edgy with the Toon breathing down their necks - either way that should favour us and mean we avoid a repeat of last season's 4-0 thrashing down there.

Frankie Fielding says Relax - the Brighton boys won't leave us sore...

Archived