IGNORED

Ok

BigTone

13 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

But without promotion form (1.9 pts per game ) and that's what it's been post Preston , like a bolt from the blue , with no great obvious reason, the season would have ended as a complete disaster / diabolical

Alternatively...

"But without relegation form (approx 0.0 pts per game ) and that's what it was for that run, like a bolt from the blue, with no great obvious reason, the season would have ended as a complete success."

Sorry, couldn't resist ;).

20 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Describing a bad run of 22 games as "40 games", and a 15 game spell of top 10 form as "a couple of games" is making up stats to suit an argument.

And I fail to see how finishing somewhere around 15th-17th when most expected mid table season qualifies as "disastrous". Disappointing, but hardly disastrous.

I am not disputing your right to a different opinion, I am just debating with you.

I think it has been far worse that simply saying at this stage "we could finish 15th"

As it stands we may also end up just 2 results from relegated. Thank God for the win at Brighton and the turnaround against Barnsley. Those 2 results might have saved us from the drop. It has been that close. 

We should never have flirted with that in the first place. 

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think people would judge this season less harshly had the wins and losses been dished out more evenly.

Agree with that

We , or LJ needs to understand why it wasn't though

Craziest season I've witnessed as I posted on another thread

Promotion form over the two good periods totalling 20 games , averaging 1.9 points a game

88 points if sustained over a season

and nailed on relegation form for the middle 25  

Equivalent 27 points for the season 

I've seen teams start well and implode or teams start poorly but improve but never a season where two runs of decent results sandwich such a horrendous spell !!!!!

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

I think it has been far worse that simply saying at this stage "we could finish 15th"

As it stands we may also end up just 2 results from relegated. Thank God for the win at Brighton and the turnaround against Barnsley. Those 2 results might have saved us from the drop. It has been that close. 

We should never have flirted with that in the first place. 

True, and I certainly agree that we shouldn't have been in the relegation mix.

But we could also end up 2 results from a top half finish, which pretty much everyone would have been satisfied with. Swings and roundabouts.

It certainly does show what a tight division this is, with not a lot between most teams.

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 08:38, bakes said:

I can't remember a season quite like this one, how LJ managed to turn it around at the end of the season is staggering.

I agree about all the tinkering and now we have a settled side / formation we have done well.

I would of happily seen him gone but to be fair i think he deserves another chance next season.

Talk about ups and downs from Preston to Brighton!

Me to and now I'm ready to eat humble pie. Let's see. Enough has been said so time to back off and give him some slack I think.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

But we could also end up 2 results from a top half finish, which pretty much everyone would have been satisfied with. Swings and roundabouts.

It certainly does show what a tight division this is, with not a lot between most teams.

The problem with this season isn't only about where we finish. 

It's about how things progressed.

The unnecessary pressure on players and fans. 

The disharmony. 

The lower attendances. 

The poorer turnover. 

The point I'm making - there is a big difference between gliding down to 15th at the end of the season and climbing there on the last day. 

Since LJ came here he has overseen just over a third of a season when we'showed promotion form, another third of a season when we showed promotion form( top 6 at start of the seaon) a third of this season when we had relegation form and the final third of this season when we again showed promotion format. 

Overall  I think LJ has shown he can manage at this level but that dire run of results eithervside of Christmas is concerning. We have all speculated,  but still don't know what caused it. 

To me it seems that our recent upturn in form and results has been achieved using players from the league 1 team ( Pack, Smith, Flint, Bryan, Little) and new young players such as Patterson, Brownhill and Taylor.

I thought the influx of young players would need some experienced older heads such as O'Neil and Tomlinks to hold them together but perhaps that's the one thing they didn't need.

It seems to me that LJ was tryino to find a way of accommodating Tomlin and this lead to a lot of the tinkering. In the end he has perhaps discovered that the best way, for the benefit of the team, is to accommodate him on the bench.

If LJ has the confidence of the players who have formed the settled team over recent weeks, I would say there is a lot to look forward to next season.

Mind you I was thinking the same this time last year! 

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Describing a bad run of 22 games as "40 games", and a 15 game spell of top 10 form as "a couple of games" is making up stats to suit an argument.

And I fail to see how finishing somewhere around 15th-17th when most expected mid table season qualifies as "disastrous". Disappointing, but hardly disastrous.

I am not disputing your right to a different opinion, I am just debating with you.

We COULD finish 15th but by Sunday we COULD end up in 20th spot, below Burton Albion having spent nigh on £15m as well!! Would that be acceptable? My take is 54-57 points over 46 matches having been in a full on relegation battle isn't good enough. Next season has got to be better and don't forget 23 league goals is sodding off back to Chelsea!! He's got to do a lot better next season.

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 09:47, Lew-T said:

Nothing has still changed in my mind. Just can't trust the bloke and with his changes, it's taken him this long to realise his best team. Most of which, are HIS players!

The scary thing is that he's had to ditch the majority of HIS players to secure this good end of season form! 5/6 of the starting 11 have been players who were here before he arrived. 

That's not what progress/improvement looks like to me.

5 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Conversely, I suppose one might also argue there is very little to support your view. In fact the close results could be argued to back up my point because the players wanted it that way. They did not want to be seen to be totally capitulating in each match. As far fetched as you might think it such things happen in football; I know enough people in the game who support this view to know that it is entirely plausible. As an outsider looking in of course I assume LJ works hard and tries his best. That is not in question. I suppose his biggest, and perhaps only, pat on the back that could be afforded is for him to apparently swallow some pride and go hug a player. I suspect he has done a fair bit of that of late. That alone might have given the extra 1% needed to turn games we would otherwise have thrown.

To suggest Lee Johnson has done enough to warrant another season after this diabolical campaign suggests we are a mediocre team content with mid table obscurity; we have gone backwards since he arrived; the final league position will perhaps tilt just in his favour, 2 or 5 points better off than a year ago. Make no bones, that is backwards. millions spent on players and stadia notwithstanding 11 rising to 15 million for Kodjia. I Disagree with you 100%.

Do I think we will be in a better place in 12 months from now? Yes.. it would be nigh on impossible not to be and not even Johnson could screw that up, surely? If we are in the play offs he will only then warrant support from those against him wishing he stays but boy what a totally wasted and overly expensive 1-2 years in the process. And lets not forget, Lansdown admitted he had huge reservations about appointing him in the first place. Anyway, he's here, he's going nowhere, that is all that matters now.

Aren't you indulging in conspiracy?

If players aren't playing for a manager, then expect a canning week in, week out. To say that they are deliberately keeping the margins at a certain level because they didn't want to look bad is just daft, otherwise it's a crime (it's called match fixing).

I'd rather people just say that it's LJ's tinkering, bad management etc. is the reason for the poor form because accusations like this damage the integrity of the game.

On 30/04/2017 at 07:42, BigTone said:

so a great result against Brighton in what I considered our most important game of the season. Kudo's to all involved. But where do we go now ? In my mind our problems this season have been down to LJ's continued tinkering and I still think he needs to be moved on for us to progress. We have a decent squad with a few exceptions and a panic buy or two. A couple out and a couple in and we look good. We have shown what we can do on our day.

I hope SL can see this and will make the changes required to move us on.

I wouldn't say a great result; that's when you put 2+ goals past the opposition. But it settled our safety beyond doubt, so for me, it's a result.

LJ started the season well, jumped off a cliff, and survived to finish on a high. He's one lucky guy.

I stood by him because of the start to the season and the small margins of defeat (in most games) - an approach not to everyones liking but we each have different approaches to risk.

Having now survived the mauling, my view, all LJ's talk now has to be converted into results because I doubt that he will be as lucky next season. I would hope that SL see's it that way as well, however, he's the owner and his thoughts trump my views (which I won't hold against him).

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Take Tammy out of the mix and what do you have?. He was also absent I believe for part of our bad run.

38 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Aren't you indulging in conspiracy?

If players aren't playing for a manager, then expect a canning week in, week out. To say that they are deliberately keeping the margins at a certain level because they didn't want to look bad is just daft, otherwise it's a crime (it's called match fixing).

I'd rather people just say that it's LJ's tinkering, bad management etc. is the reason for the poor form because accusations like this damage the integrity of the game.

Why would you prefer people opined of a convenient 'truth' ? I suppose, for your purposes, you can put it into the 'bad management' category if you prefer then.

Another thought; by not talking about it do we make the game cleaner, less corrupt? If FIFA have taught us all one thing it is this; if corruption is at the very top of the game and it is rotten to the core there is a fair chance that corruption, foul play or rigging games in a fashion to suit an agenda is there throughout. In fact, I know it is. At City? I sincerely hope not but there is much to at least explore this in the topic of bizarre capitulations and stand off defending when suited. Rewind some of the matches... To me its obvious.

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Why would you prefer people opined of a convenient 'truth' ? I suppose, for your purposes, you can put it into the 'bad management' category if you prefer then.

Another thought; by not talking about it do we make the game cleaner, less corrupt? If FIFA have taught us all one thing it is this; if corruption is at the very top of the game and it is rotten to the core there is a fair chance that corruption, foul play or rigging games in a fashion to suit an agenda is there throughout. In fact, I know it is. At City? I sincerely hope not but there is much to at least explore this in the topic of bizarre capitulations and stand off defending when suited. Rewind some of the matches... To me its obvious.

Let us define 'match fixing': the action or practice of dishonestly determining the outcome of a match before it is played.
The question would be, is dishonesty involved?

Considering that a professional sports person's aim in any game is to win, to deliberately choose to lose, in my view, would be dishonesty.

For the purposes for some argument for the small margin losses in games, it appears that you are prepared to accuse some Bristol City players (for this to work as you've described, this would have to be a collaboration) of 'match fixing'.

The reason? Because they didn't like LJ management style, or to put it into plain language, they were sulking.

Am I the only person who sees how inane this thinking is?

As to corruption in football? Thanks for the brief history, why it's wrong etc. I'd suggest that if people have proof of it, they report it. Be prepared to offer concrete evidence though, otherwise it won't go far.

9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Conversely, I suppose one might also argue there is very little to support your view. In fact the close results could be argued to back up my point because the players wanted it that way. They did not want to be seen to be totally capitulating in each match. As far fetched as you might think it such things happen in football; I know enough people in the game who support this view to know that it is entirely plausible. As an outsider looking in of course I assume LJ works hard and tries his best. That is not in question. I suppose his biggest, and perhaps only, pat on the back that could be afforded is for him to apparently swallow some pride and go hug a player. I suspect he has done a fair bit of that of late. That alone might have given the extra 1% needed to turn games we would otherwise have thrown.

To suggest Lee Johnson has done enough to warrant another season after this diabolical campaign suggests we are a mediocre team content with mid table obscurity; we have gone backwards since he arrived; the final league position will perhaps tilt just in his favour, 2 or 5 points better off than a year ago. Make no bones, that is backwards. millions spent on players and stadia notwithstanding 11 rising to 15 million for Kodjia. I Disagree with you 100%.

Do I think we will be in a better place in 12 months from now? Yes.. it would be nigh on impossible not to be and not even Johnson could screw that up, surely? If we are in the play offs he will only then warrant support from those against him wishing he stays but boy what a totally wasted and overly expensive 1-2 years in the process. And lets not forget, Lansdown admitted he had huge reservations about appointing him in the first place. Anyway, he's here, he's going nowhere, that is all that matters now.

Diabolical campaign?  If this season was diabolical, what did you feel about us under McInnes or O'Driscoll? I've rather enjoyed the football I've seen this season, even if the results didn't always go out way.  Far from diabolical.

4 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

The issue I have with people splitting the season into thirds is that the middle third wasn't relegation form, it was ROTHERHAM form!!! That sort of run won't be tolerated by fans again that's for sure.

And the rest of his time here (which is the majority) is play-off form. The issue I have with people focusing on LJ's tenure as purely the one negative run is that they ignore the rest to conveniently suit their own opinions, even when it is the majority of his time here that he's done extremely well and a run we recovered from months ago now. That's why there's no splitting from them, it doesn't suit their argument.

People with demanding expectations in this thread again claiming that the season was a 'disaster'. It certainly wasn't a success and there was one disastrous run but these people really need to reign in their expectations. 17th place where we are currently seems perfectly acceptable considering our resources and the squad we have. Again, maybe it's because the highs were so high and the lows were extremely low, but it seems some just can't let go of a bad run of results, which we've since recovered from in an extremely impressive fashion, and won't be as tolerable as they would be if our results had spread out in a more balanced manner, for whatever reason. I just find it very sad how people can be so single-minded.

We had one bad run of form, players and management were rightfully criticised. LJ and SL acknowledged that criticism was warranted. We recovered in incredible fashion. He's 35 years old, managing his first full season at this level so it was unlikely to be plain sailing throughout, we're Bristol City and usually in relegation battles. If we finish 17th or higher it's our 4th highest finish this turn of the century, so not a disaster, that's for sure. Get over it.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Take Tammy out of the mix and what do you have?. He was also absent I believe for part of our bad run.

Stand off defending here has been happening for a number of years under different managers.

1 hour ago, bcfcfinker said:

Let us define 'match fixing': the action or practice of dishonestly determining the outcome of a match before it is played.
The question would be, is dishonesty involved?

Considering that a professional sports person's aim in any game is to win, to deliberately choose to lose, in my view, would be dishonesty.

For the purposes for some argument for the small margin losses in games, it appears that you are prepared to accuse some Bristol City players (for this to work as you've described, this would have to be a collaboration) of 'match fixing'.

The reason? Because they didn't like LJ management style, or to put it into plain language, they were sulking.

Am I the only person who sees how inane this thinking is?

As to corruption in football? Thanks for the brief history, why it's wrong etc. I'd suggest that if people have proof of it, they report it. Be prepared to offer concrete evidence though, otherwise it won't go far.

I take the view its more of a casual way of throwing a match by cumulatively not trying very hard rather than match fixing. That is not to say that chitter chatter could have gone on prior to a match but i suspect it was hardly needed given the lack of empathy toward LJ's methods. I think such a phenomenon is rife in football and is purely human nature. Bringing match fixing and FIFA into the discussion was a mistake. Hopefully these remarks clarify where I believe the players were, mentally, and may very well still be. Time will tell.

19 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Get over it.

Come on, this is OTIB.

There are 4 months for this season to picked over and over and over... again.

And no doubt, when there is a bad result next season, this will be dug up by resurrectionists, dusted down and another post mortem carried out.

The only way LJ will live this season down (and it won't be possible with some) is to be promoted.

39 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Diabolical campaign?  If this season was diabolical, what did you feel about us under McInnes or O'Driscoll? I've rather enjoyed the football I've seen this season, even if the results didn't always go out way.  Far from diabolical.

That opens up a whole different discussion to be fair but in brevity you should take in mind that McInnes took over when he had, according to many on here, a team full of disruptive individuals and told to deal with it. His signings, whether poor or not, might have had very little chance of bedding in to such a toxic dressing room. Noted, he was not that good with us but I think he inherited a very difficult atmosphere.

O'Driscoll; he was told to trim the wage bill was he not, clear out the overpaid's and live within a strict budget. Again I am only going on here-say and what i have read here and there.

The common thread for both was a very limited budget and to arrest the fall. Very different with today;

The contrast with Johnson is that he seems to have been bank rolled to a fairly extensive degree with a much stronger back room staff.

And the stated aim at the start of this season was the play offs by the powers that be; that is what the fans were fed. 

Therefore, I think the many who have expressed a few, and it was well over 90% wanting him gone, are fully justified in saying this season has been a massive disappointment. 

4 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

Come on, this is OTIB.

There are 4 months for this season to picked over and over and over... again.

And no doubt, when there is a bad result next season, this will be dug up by resurrectionists, dusted down and another post mortem carried out.

The only way LJ will live this season down (and it won't be possible with some) is to be promoted.

About right I would say and that would be fair on both LJ and those against him.

42 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I take the view its more of a casual way of throwing a match by cumulatively not trying very hard rather than match fixing. That is not to say that chitter chatter could have gone on prior to a match but i suspect it was hardly needed given the lack of empathy toward LJ's methods. I think such a phenomenon is rife in football and is purely human nature. Bringing match fixing and FIFA into the discussion was a mistake. Hopefully these remarks clarify where I believe the players were, mentally, and may very well still be. Time will tell.

Well, if the players decided to 'throw' matches because they didn't like a manager who had got them to 6th in the table (and continued that form once they decided to try again), then they are complete assholes. If they'd picked up even a mediocre set of results in that run sandwiched by the good beginning and end of season form, they'd have been pushing for the play-offs. Thus validating that they shouldn't be arguing with LJ in the first place, they should listening to him. 

If anything, your point of view suggests we should be angry at the players not LJ. 

Just now, RedSA said:

Well, if the players decided to 'throw' matches because they didn't like a manager who had got them to 6th in the table (and continued that form once they decided to try again), then they are complete assholes. If they'd picked up even a mediocre set of results in that run sandwiched by the good beginning and end of season form, they'd have been pushing for the play-offs. 

If anything, your point of view suggests we should be angry at the players not LJ. 

Not really.. we do not know the circumstances. We could, conversely, be grateful to them because they voluntarily kept us up. They tried to get LJ sacked for us, the fans who wanted him gone in large numbers, and perhaps for themselves and then realised 'this plan is not working so we better get a few results'

Its been discussed to death on several threads mate if you dig around. 

10 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Not really.. we do not know the circumstances. We could, conversely, be grateful to them because they voluntarily kept us up. They tried to get LJ sacked for us, the fans who wanted him gone in large numbers, and perhaps for themselves and then realised 'this plan is not working so we better get a few results'

Its been discussed to death on several threads mate if you dig around. 

Yes, I know all the back story but your logic doesn't make sense. 

Why would throwing matches when were in a good position in the table be helpful for us fans? People only wanted him gone because we were on a horrific run, which you are saying the players were creating on purpose, why would we be grateful for that. 

1 minute ago, havanatopia said:

I have no doubt managers do lose the dressing room. My view, this tends to manifest itself through consistent large losses and poor football. On the whole, and bear in mind that I only get the opportunity to attend home games at the moment, the football hasn't been too bad at home this season - it is my opinion.

By way of comparison, the football dished out by DM and SoD, a time where I really did consider not going down to AG, was poor.

Consistent fine margins of loss: it would require a great deal of effort and planning, for the competitive nature of footballers not to take over, a long with many other factors to be in place, to be  a possibility. Personally, I'm a little bit more rational with my thoughts about reasons for sustained loss. I'd agree more with the argument that LJ and his coaching team had its part to play in this seasons sustained loss period - I just dealt with it differently to others. 

Here's some food for thought. Maybe some times a manager can be handed so much money that he just doesn't know where to start with building his team?
A bizarre thing to say? Try telling that to the kid left to his on devices in a sweet shop - immediate consequences are not knowing where to start, followed by a belly ache, scolding by the parents and the long term consequences of tooth decay and possible health consequences. Ok, maybe a poor comparison, but it's to demonstrate that rash decisions can be made when you have choices available to you that weren't there before. Could LJ have been too spoilt for choice? Again by way of example, Moyes, in my view a tidy manager when at Everton - Man U destroyed him.

I'm hoping that LJ has learned his lesson this season. If he hasn't, I suspect we'll be here this time next year lauding a new manager for keeping us up (hopefully) and two years time slagging him off. At what time does this cycle stop?

Onwards and upwards

On 30/04/2017 at 07:42, BigTone said:

so a great result against Brighton in what I considered our most important game of the season. Kudo's to all involved. But where do we go now ? In my mind our problems this season have been down to LJ's continued tinkering and I still think he needs to be moved on for us to progress. We have a decent squad with a few exceptions and a panic buy or two. A couple out and a couple in and we look good. We have shown what we can do on our day.

I hope SL can see this and will make the changes required to move us on.

Good post, hopefully time for reasoned debate on a poor season, instead of revisionist posting.

Lee Johnson is the coach for next season, so he does he sort this lot out and build a true champioship squad that can win promotion.

We may have an alright side on paper, but I still think the top 4-6 teams in this league would only take a couple of our players, excluding Tammy, which says a lot.

2 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I have no doubt managers do lose the dressing room. My view, this tends to manifest itself through consistent large losses and poor football. On the whole, and bear in mind that I only get the opportunity to attend home games at the moment, the football hasn't been too bad at home this season - it is my opinion.

By way of comparison, the football dished out by DM and SoD, a time where I really did consider not going down to AG, was poor.

Consistent fine margins of loss: it would require a great deal of effort and planning, for the competitive nature of footballers not to take over, a long with many other factors to be in place, to be  a possibility. Personally, I'm a little bit more rational with my thoughts about reasons for sustained loss. I'd agree more with the argument that LJ and his coaching team had its part to play in this seasons sustained loss period - I just dealt with it differently to others. 

Here's some food for thought. Maybe some times a manager can be handed so much money that he just doesn't know where to start with building his team?
A bizarre thing to say? Try telling that to the kid left to his on devices in a sweet shop - immediate consequences are not knowing where to start, followed by a belly ache, scolding by the parents and the long term consequences of tooth decay and possible health consequences. Ok, maybe a poor comparison, but it's to demonstrate that rash decisions can be made when you have choices available to you that weren't there before. Could LJ have been too spoilt for choice? Again by way of example, Moyes, in my view a tidy manager when at Everton - Man U destroyed him.

I'm hoping that LJ has learned his lesson this season. If he hasn't, I suspect we'll be here this time next year lauding a new manager for keeping us up (hopefully) and two years time slagging him off. At what time does this cycle stop?

Onwards and upwards

Actually not a bad simile with the sweets! And the thrust of the argument could have a degree of truth in it.

I am glad you found the football, at times, entertaining this season. I can only comment on what i read and what i see on the TV. Lets all look forward to next season, I always enjoy the transfer time. And long may this forum give us the opportunity for robust debate.

I still want LJ gone, I don't see us progressing under his control. 

That out of the way and I have to say as he's blatantly going nowhere I am interested in the next season. His first season he had to "save us", he did. This season he had two transfer windows to create his squad, he spent big and brought in a lot of players, now he's had enough time and made enough changes to have no more excuses. For us to progress under LJ I expect some big signings in the summer, if they don't come I already feel we're not looking to progress. Then LJ need to take those signings and get them working with the tactics he's settled on.
Come mid-way through next season if he's still chopping and changing, tinkering again and we're not performing he has to go, he's had time, he's had money, he's had backing from the owners, if he can't progress with that he's not the right man no matter how you look at it.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Agree with that

We , or LJ needs to understand why it wasn't though

Craziest season I've witnessed as I posted on another thread

Promotion form over the two good periods totalling 20 games , averaging 1.9 points a game

88 points if sustained over a season

and nailed on relegation form for the middle 25  

Equivalent 27 points for the season 

I've seen teams start well and implode or teams start poorly but improve but never a season where two runs of decent results sandwich such a horrendous spell !!!!!

I think someone posted the final league table for last season and we had 52 points which makes this season seem even more bizarre. More points needed to stay up this year definitely but this season seems a lot worse than last due to that terrible 5 month run. We could possibly end up 5 points better off than last season though. :blink:

41 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think someone posted the final league table for last season and we had 52 points which makes this season seem even more bizarre. More points needed to stay up this year definitely but this season seems a lot worse than last due to that terrible 5 month run. We could possibly end up 5 points better off than last season though. :blink:

It is isn`t it? I`m fast coming round to believing that had the consecutive defeats been spread out rather than coming all at one time we`d all be patting ourselves on the back after a season of consolidation.

Funny old game innit?

Archived