IGNORED

Factors in our Survival

ploppy

Let's make a list which we can refer back to if it all goes tits up next season. I'll start with these:

1) Reverting back to 442

2) Dropping Tomlin and playing a more solid centre midfield partnership of Smith and Pack

3) The re emergence of Korey Smith as one of the league's best players (in my opinion)

4) Playing a settled first 11 with tactics that don't require an astrophysicist to figure out

5) Key players hitting form including Pack, Flint and most importantly, Mark Little

6) Tammy Abraham continuing to be Tammy Abraham

7) Frank Fielding coming back to replacing Geifer and making a string of crucial saves

8) Jamie Paterson reminding people he still exists, in a big way

9) The fans pulling together and making some of the best atmospheres I can recall at Ashton Gate in recent history. Particular mention goes to the red army chant in the second half at the Wolves game which I thought was outstanding.

Feeling pretty amazing today after yesterday but cannot have hit all of the reasons so feel free to add, we can then attach it to the talon of a delivery owl and have it dropped into Johnson's pigeon hole (two bird references in one sentence for you there)

YOU REDS

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'd add a complete change of attitude / mindset from the players for whatever reason

They were embarrassed, shamed even, by the faith of the faithful applauding them at Preston, after the game. We are not worthy, they thought. And so they found motivation to change this and reward our happiest of clappers.

That, and good old 442!

21 minutes ago, ploppy said:

Dare I add the sacking of John Pemberton or is that still best left unsaid? No direct evidence to prove it but there is a direct correlation 

Big fan of Pembo but the timing doesn't look great - possibly just conflicting ideas / messages to the players

22 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

They were embarrassed, shamed even, by the faith of the faithful applauding them at Preston, after the game. We are not worthy, they thought. And so they found motivation to change this and reward our happiest of clappers.

That, and good old 442!

It's a reasonable explanation Jack 

I have the impression that it may have been an interesting 24 hrs post Preston amongst the squad

I was always surprised that someone like Wilbs hadn't taken control and 'banged a few heads together' ,

maybe he did

There are frequent references to 4-4-2 but it doesn't seem to be a bog standard version. Pack and Smith are playing in front of the defence, while Paterson and Taylor seem be playing like old fashioned inside forwards behind Tammy. Not an orthodox wide player in sight but a team in which everybody puts in a shift.

Credit must also go to Lee Johnson.  A small section of supporters turned on him in a very unhelpful manner and he had the strength of character a clearness of mind to see us through to survival.  The future now looks very bright. And well done to Steve Lansdown who could see that Lee Johnson is a gem and well worth persevering with as head coach!

As Bat Fastard alludes to , SL deserves credit. When practically every other owner would have replaced LJ , rather than twist - he stuck with him. That takes nerve - and I don't think it's any coincidence  that all the teams fighting relegation have changed managers.

4 hours ago, redandy1 said:

Keeping a settled team. Why did it take so long to work that out.

Because LJ was looking for the right players or, as he put it "players I can trust".

I don't know how many of the squad featutred this season but for long periods it was a different team every week. It was only the few "core" players like Flint, Tammy,Bryan and Pack that started every game.

4 hours ago, ploppy said:

Dare I add the sacking of John Pemberton or is that still best left unsaid? No direct evidence to prove it but there is a direct correlation 

Like most on here was baffled and angry by the JP sacking but the correlation in results since then can't be ignored. 20 Pts from 10 games = promotion form.  Plus 3 clean sheets, 2 away from home, and looking like a team that doesn't give away 2 or 3 goal leads. Have to say well done to BCFC powers for making the call. 

1 minute ago, GoodridgeandGoater said:

Like most on here was baffled and angry by the JP sacking but the correlation in results since then can't be ignored. 20 Pts from 10 games = promotion form.  Plus 3 clean sheets, 2 away from home, and looking like a team that doesn't give away 2 or 3 goal leads. Have to say well done to BCFC powers for making the call. 

Pemberton was also here at the start of the season.

It is always difficult to know what happens behind the scenes. Complete guess, but just may have been a chemistry thing. Clear he loved the club, but equally LJ needed to be left with no excuses. If we were to sack him, in hindsight only fair first to allow him a team he felt he could work with.

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

It is always difficult to know what happens behind the scenes. Complete guess, but just may have been a chemistry thing. Clear he loved the club, but equally LJ needed to be left with no excuses. If we were to sack him, in hindsight only fair first to allow him a team he felt he could work with.

And indeed for the entire promotion season. 

Agree at that point it was probably a chemistry thing. Others have alluded to the fact maybe something kicked off after the Burton game. 

Like you say don't know about the backstage workings but fair to speculate that McCallister might have gone in with a bit of back to basics on how to defend which has made us a bit more solid. Certain that him and LJ are close so perhaps that unity also helped. 

38 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Credit must also go to Lee Johnson.  A small section of supporters turned on him in a very unhelpful manner and he had the strength of character a clearness of mind to see us through to survival.  The future now looks very bright. And well done to Steve Lansdown who could see that Lee Johnson is a gem and well worth persevering with as head coach!

Steady on. Let's see how we start next year before we go calling him a "gem"

26 minutes ago, cityexile said:

We have to be careful drawing conclusions sometimes. It appeared that Dean Holden might have been the reason for our down turn and lots of finger pointing were done in that direction. JP was sacked and it appeared that things improved. People tend to jump to conclusions rather easily in football.

Personally, I try not to play finger pointing game; sometimes shit just happens.

JP steadied the ship when it needed steadying and he should be thanked for that and I hope the future teats him well.

Our fortunes changed and let it continue.

Onwards and upwards.

1 hour ago, MarcusX said:

Steady on. Let's see how we start next year before we go calling him a "gem"

The same old shit, Marcus, from that poster and a small section of other happy clappers. 

For my money, the decisive factor was being brave enough to play 2 up front and finding a way to make that work without us being over run in midfield. Then not tinkering and sticking with that settled team and formation (which wasn't rocket science once we'd started to pick up some wins).

Well done to all concerned, yes including the Coach, for the 2 months at the start of the season and the 2 months at the end. But the intervening 5 months of appalling football - including the worst run of results in over 100 years of football at Ashton Gate, despite the Coach having more resources and support than anyone else in those 100 years - leaves Lee Johnson still having much to prove in my eyes.  

Despite what the happy clappers might think, I'm sure the vast majority of us who harbour doubts about the Coach would be only too happy to have those doubts allayed because that would mean the team is performing well - something all City fans want.  

Archived