IGNORED

Hegeler

Murraysrightplum

15 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

What happened to him? Looked composed in the first few games then didn't feature much. Injuries??? 

Would be great to have him playing well next year as seemed to be a proper footballer

He looked off the pace for à Championship player . Mostly slowing the play down allowing the opposition to regroup .

LJ  said next year we'll build the team around him ! 

If he can adapt he will be top class in this League but he'll need a run in the side and get up to speed , if not , he'll most likely leave in January as another white elephant.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He looked off the pace for à Championship player . Mostly slowing the play down allowing the opposition to regroup .

If he can adapt he will be top class in this League but he'll need a run in the side and get up to speed , if not , he'll most likely leave in January as another white elephant.

Fingers crossed for the former then!

28 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We saw a touch of class when he arrived and he obviously has the attributes to be a good player. His promise seemed to evaporate though, as you correctly note Major. Whether that was through a difficulty adapting to English football, disillusionment with LJ, the City "coaching-out-talent" method, the hinted at trouble behind the scenes factionalism within the players, or - more prosaically - a minor injury I don't know.

Be nice if that ability can be coaxed back. 

8 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Can I ask a stupid question?

Why was he brought in then?

Maybe because he's undoubtably a good player, with a good pedigree, who we hoped would adapt to our style a little bit better than he actually has. 

14 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

To add some experience in a young midfield whilst Korey was out injured and Pack was in and out of the team? Dunno. Maybe at the age of 29 he has experience but also too old to learn new tricks, ie quickening his game?

Seen nothing to suggest that hegeler will make a impact next Season, has played a fair few games,most on them resulting in us losing most recently 5-0 to Preston (I know you cant single him out for this alone) but we just seem very easy to play through when he starts in the cm position and clearly lacks the mobility for championship football which is not something he is going to get all of a sudden and don't really see him as a cb either bench filler at best and way behind smith, pack and brownhill imo

I had high hopes when he first arrived and in his first couple of games he looked like a quality player. His languid style masks the fact that he is pretty quick - I think it was against Cardiff at home when he went on a superb run that culminated in a decent shot at goal.

He seems to have lost his way a bit and at home to Fulham looked completely off the pace. Not sure how he played against Preston away (presumably as bad as everyone else) but I remember noticing on the highlights he was beaten in the air for one of their goals.

I'm sure he is a very good player but we need to find a way to get the best out of him.

Just now, Northern Red said:

There's clearly a player there, way too early to write him off.

Needs a good preseason, maybe try and get a bit fitter, then see where we are. 

Indeed.

The bottom line imv is that Hegeler needs to work a lot harder. He struggles to put in a full shift and that was obviously why he hasn't started in recent games.

Just now, Robbored said:

Indeed.

The bottom line imv is that Hegeler needs to work a lot harder. He struggles to put in a full shift and that was obviously why he hasn't started in recent games.

Hello Darling, remember me ?  :wub:

1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I think that's a very reasonable question.  Having seen him in action I struggle to understand how it was thought he would fit in.  I cannot see how he would work in a 4-4-2.  He has to up his energy levels and find some pace from somewhere, because in the matches I've seen him play in midfield he has offered almost nothing.  But then I'm a big fan of Marlon Pack, which I know isn't universally shared...

1 minute ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

I think that's a very reasonable question.  Having seen him in action I struggle to understand how it was thought he would fit in.  I cannot see how he would work in a 4-4-2.  He has to up his energy levels and find some pace from somewhere, because in the matches I've seen him play in midfield he has offered almost nothing.  But then I'm a big fan of Marlon Pack, which I know isn't universally shared...

Wasn't LJ talking about the need of getting a Kalifa Cissé style midfielder who would just 'sit'? That seemed to be the intention for Hegeler. But now LJ has found/stumbled onto a willing formula with 4-4-2 that need is not really there. However wouldn't sell him on strength of half a season, up to LJ and the player now to see if he can reach his potential for us in a winning system. Hope that can happen as the man has got quality. 

Archived