IGNORED

Well done Steve .. you called it right

ashton_fan

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Sorry, you lost me when you called it a "coincidence".

:facepalm:

Ok so it was obviously the plan that we would scrape to safety after suffering the worst run of results in the history of the club while juggling line ups, formations, and new signings. The plan to make us lose all those games but then miraculously get enough wins to see us safe by game 45 was a good one.

Would you prefer the word luck or fluke to coincidence?

3 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

But there are 7 teams below us of which 5 have much bigger resources then us. If our season was such a disaster, what was theirs.

A bigger disaster !

:yes:;)

Disaster isn't the correct term IMHO - it will be a 'disaster' or form of, for three clubs only in reality

I've criticised SL heavily for continuing to do what he has been proven to be not good at ie. choosing managers for BCFC. He has to be admired for sticking with LJ but one has to ask how much a factor that was in our turnaround?

If LJ has genuinely changed, principally in not mucking about with his selection and playing set-up, then it will have been worth the dangerous, hair-raising experience of this season with him "learning on the job" in the most difficult League in football. Only next season will tell us whether SL has misplaced his faith (again?).

PS. I've also said repeatedly that I don't want SL to chuck it in with BCFC. I agree with all the comments made about dodgy foreign owners ruining english clubs on what seems to be the whim of owning one. So we are truly fortunate in having a genuine fan and someone who seems to be a good (if misguided in my opinion) bloke in charge. Think what we might achieve if he continued to be our benefactor while stepping aside from the bits at BCFC where he must realise he has not been successful.

What we need to take inspiration / hope from is Huddersfield who finished a place below us last season 

Unforunately they have tended to buck the trend as it's more often a case of clubs like Forest etc who have struggled for a few seasons now

Not convinced by LJ at all yet but so difficult to tell what exactly has gone on this season and we do have some advantages and a potential about us that Forest etc just don't seem to have atm

Personally I'd be more than happy with some steady tangible progression and consistency next season with a comfortable mid table finish

Personally think the Championship is a far more enjoyable division to be in that the Prem Circus ever will be for clubs like ours

As far as Steve Lansdown goes he's a braver person than I, and I held on until after the Preston game before I called for Lee's head, oddly enough that seems to have been the turning point from the players too which has ultimately changed our season, so I still don't believe it was all down to Lee.

A lot has been said about Tammy of course, but at the time we didn't know what he would be like. Chelsea and other high end Prem clubs loan out their players all the time, how many of them come good never mind great? We even had Ryan McGivern once didn't we, a Man City player!!! Point proven I think. We either got very lucky or someone knew what they were doing. Now Tammy's of course don't come along very often, but let's see if we can do something even half as good  next season, that will be telling.

Tammy aside, I think we were left very short. We sold Kodjia of course, but that was hardly a surprise. Someone was obviously going to be looking at him and it soon became clear he would be off. Yes we had to sell him when we did, the money was too good and Kodjia had proved he was a sulker if he didn't get his own way. But I would have hoped SteveL was putting pressure on to get a replacement, a proper replacement. I guess he trusted Lee and Mark Ashton but as I said we were left very short. We ran Tammy into the ground and could have finished a lesser player, credit to Tammy for his attitude here. 

So I think SteveL got away with it this season, as did LeeJ and a few others. We got away with it too having avoided almost certain relegation at one point, and flirting with it for too much of the season. Now the slate is wiped clean, but memories and experiences live on. I'm very sure patience won't be so plentiful and fans, myself included, won't be so lenient if it looks like the season is panning out the same again.

So if I had a chance I'll happily shake Steve Lansdown's hand, but I'd also look him in the eye and he'll know he has got away with it at the moment.

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Some on here simply won't accept this, but you are correct. 

SL had the courage to stand by what they are trying to achieve. Kept faith in the man he has in charge (granted, he must have started having some serious doubts and been close to pulling the trigger!) 

In my opinion, SL has shown exactly why he is in his position, with well over a billion quid behind him and most of us, aren't! 

Well done SL. You've certainly held your nerve and our club will come across well to the wider football world for it. 

All due respect, but completely disagree.

One of the best squads I've seen down the Gate in seasons, yet we were battling not to get relegated. Hardly a success in my eyes.

Still maintain SL gambled with our Championship Status and knew he was

He opted to back LJ and his piece in the project and was IMHO ready to accept relegation to stick with LJ 

as ive read it , heard it,  he was more determined to back LJ and the project than to try something different to maintain our Champ Status - that's his call and he has a right to make it ultimately

Thankfully , its ended well and it didn't cost us our Champ status, (we don't know but the backing may have been a positive move in the situation) and in theory should benefit us ,if his belief in LJ is justified ,  and we have the chance to see if his backing of LJ , and the project transpires to be a good one , or a unnecessary (But successful) gamble that he 'got away with'

:fingerscrossed:

Only time will tell

14 minutes ago, BoneyardTIM said:

But there are 7 teams below us of which 5 have much bigger resources then us. If our season was such a disaster, what was theirs.

Forest and Blackburn are an utter shambles. Birmingham's owners made a historically crass and stupid decision to fire a manager who had got them into the play off positions or there abouts. Rotherham, bless them have nothing. Wigan have punched above their weight for years with ownership money et al. Burton bless them too, well above their weight. QPR another ownership, I know best, issue employing poor manager after poor manager who I believe will lose their parachute next season.

The four teams that you refer to have made worse decisions than us, just, and unfortunately that is what we are comparing ourselves with....Without me running to the internet what money was spent by Forest, Brum, Blackburn and QPR, compared to us and what revenue did they bring in....We sold some good players and bought in a wedge load too.

Thankfully its about August now. LJ has used al his excuses and the some so the pressure really is on come July

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Where did I call it "success"..?

What I did say, was that SL has been proven right in having the courage to stand by the faith that he had in LJ being able to turn things around. 

If we can cut out, or even just reduce, the bad middle part of this season, then there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic about a higher finish next season. 

No not you personally i guess, but just the many other posts that seem to think the end of the season proved a bigger point.  It didn't to my mind, I was just relieved  that we escaped relegation  by the skin of our teeth. 

I'm happy to judge city and Lee Johnson on their actions over the summer and the performances next season. Let's all start there answer see what happens. 

52 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

So most pro-LJ supporters said we couldn't guess what would happen if we sacked LJ but now we're safe you can now all predict that it would have been worse to sack him?

It certainly COULD have been a lot worse

1 hour ago, Tammys Scan said:

So most pro-LJ supporters said we couldn't guess what would happen if we sacked LJ but now we're safe you can now all predict that it would have been worse to sack him?

How many teams that have been relegated this season changed their manager during the course of the season..?

2 hours ago, simon uk said:

Ok so it was obviously the plan that we would scrape to safety after suffering the worst run of results in the history of the club while juggling line ups, formations, and new signings. The plan to make us lose all those games but then miraculously get enough wins to see us safe by game 45 was a good one.

Would you prefer the word luck or fluke to coincidence?

Neither fluke or coincidence to be fair.

I wouldn't say we've been outclassed at home more than twice off the top of my head - Fulham & Brighton. 

I didn't go to the 5-0 v Preston, but we probably had it coming, what with our season 'n' all.

How can he stick with a starting XI if results aren't working out way? I'm sure it's a common philosophy that if you're not playing well, you cannot stick with the same team/formation.

Injuries/inconsistencies and personal things (players) and other things have an effect.

Kudos to SL for not getting embroiled in the 'sack the manager' culture.

The guy is a billionaire for a reason. There's long term plans on place and a lack of patience throws all of that out the window.

LJ has at least another half of a season to actually prove himself. 

Prwise where it's due is what I believe.

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

What we need to take inspiration / hope from is Huddersfield who finished a place below us last season 

Unforunately they have tended to buck the trend as it's more often a case of clubs like Forest etc who have struggled for a few seasons now

Not convinced by LJ at all yet but so difficult to tell what exactly has gone on this season and we do have some advantages and a potential about us that Forest etc just don't seem to have atm

Personally I'd be more than happy with some steady tangible progression and consistency next season with a comfortable mid table finish

Personally think the Championship is a far more enjoyable division to be in that the Prem Circus ever will be for clubs like ours

Spot on. There's is enough there to give some hope, but still, a lot to prove.

In regards to the OP and some responses, you literally cannot say SL made the wrong call in sticking because at that point staying up was everything and that has happened. You can try and make an argument that we should now not keep LJ or that changing manager might have kept us up as well, but the form in the last 10 games 100% shows it was the right call.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

How many teams that have been relegated this season changed their manager during the course of the season..?

Cardiff, Villa & Derby?

Oh, you're on about the basket cases that've made mistakes year in year out.

Just now, Tammys Scan said:

Cardiff, Villa & Derby?

Oh, you're on about the basket cases that've made mistakes year in year out.

I missed Cardiff, Villa and Derby's relegation. 

Their fans are in for a shock when they find out. 

4 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I missed Cardiff, Villa and Derby's relegation. 

Their fans are in for a shock when they find out. 

My bad I thought it was a balanced question about Championship sackings. I now see you're specifically talking about the teams in which it didn't work to sway the point in your favour.

19 minutes ago, Tammys Scan said:

My bad I thought it was a balanced question about Championship sackings. I now see you're specifically talking about the teams in which it didn't work to sway the point in your favour.

I asked you how many teams that have been relegated this season, did change their manager...?

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

I asked you how many teams that have been relegated this season, did change their manager...?

They all did, but I don't understand your point as teams that were down there that've changed their managers are now doing better:

Just now, Tammys Scan said:

They all did, but I don't understand your point as teams that were down there that've changed their managers are now doing better:

As are we, who didn't. 

People were crying out to change our manager, as if it was a sure fire way of pulling safe. 

As you clearly don't grasp the subtleties of my point, I'll elaborate...

Changing manager doesn't assure survival. As long as you have faith in the current occupant being able to turn things around. 

Good call SL, well done! 

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Some on here simply won't accept this, but you are correct. 

SL had the courage to stand by what they are trying to achieve. Kept faith in the man he has in charge (granted, he must have started having some serious doubts and been close to pulling the trigger!) 

In my opinion, SL has shown exactly why he is in his position, with well over a billion quid behind him and most of us, aren't! 

Well done SL. You've certainly held your nerve and our club will come across well to the wider football world for it. 

No wonder he's a Billionaire, I have it on good authority (despite a confidentiality clause and gagging order on Big Tone) that when the season started to look decidedly dodgy Steve played a masterstroke of commercial foresight.

Knowing the nerves that a few loses would cause he and LJ colluded to take us all on a real roller coaster of a few months and invested in buying out Big Tone's 'Squeaky Bum Oil' formula.. Tone did OK but Steve went on and made another small fortune, now THATS what I call business,  that's why he's rich and we've got greasy arses.  :) 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

As are we, who didn't. 

People were crying out to change our manager, as if it was a sure fire way of pulling safe. 

As you clearly don't grasp the subtleties of my point, I'll elaborate...

Changing manager doesn't assure survival. As long as you have faith in the current occupant being able to turn things around. 

Good call SL, well done! 

I understand your point, I misread your first post. I was saying that there is also the other end of the spectrum.

Scraping safety is a good call when he could've gone months ago? With our setup, squad etc I believe we'd be more similar to Cardiff etc than Blackburn etc

1 hour ago, Tammys Scan said:

I understand your point, I misread your first post. I was saying that there is also the other end of the spectrum.

Scraping safety is a good call when he could've gone months ago? With our setup, squad etc I believe we'd be more similar to Cardiff etc than Blackburn etc

Fancy a friendly wager that we finish above Cardiff next season..? 

Archived