IGNORED

Fielding a weakened side

Major Isewater

What are your thoughts on clubs fielding weakened sides, Huddersfield were heavily criticised for making ten changes in their match against Brum which seemed unfair on Forest and Blackburn.

I can understand the furore but surely over the season it is the club's faults if they don't get enough points and need to rely on other clubs losing to help them out ? 

I think Huddersfield earned the right to field the players they wanted to and to save others for the playoffs.

Tough titties on the losers . 

Disagree Major. Would have been no problem had Huddersfield been playing a mid-table team with nothing riding on the result, but they were not. The Huddersfield decision to swap out 10 players has gifted Birmingham 3 pts, which they probably would not have got so has a potential direct impact on who goes down. This is disrespectful to the other teams battling to avoid the drop, very poor behaviour in my book and I hope they get a very large fine - not that it will be of much compensation to Forest or Blackburn if they end up going down as a result.

As you said Huddersfield have earned the right over 44 games to play the side they feel gives them the best chance in the play offs. Think someone said Bradford made 9 changes against Rochdale and no punishment. Ipswich made multiple changes for their game with Rotherham and no charge. The Huddersfield side had over 200 appearances between them, hardly players who don't feature. 

Mourinho has come out and said he will be resting players with 'more mileage' against Arsenal, they're 1 point behind Man City in 4th but view the Europa league as their easier way into the champions league for next season. Surely then resting players against Arsenal hurts the integrity of the league as much as Huddersfield? 

Huddersfield quite rightly won't give a shit and why should they? Jeopardise their best shot a promotion just to help out Blackburn & Forest. 

There's only one team Huddersfield should be worrying about. And that's Huddersfield. 

Totally agree with The Major!

We fielded a weakened side from November to February and many teams benefitted.

I don't want us to get a fine! Also if Forest and BRFC suffer they should look at their lack of points over 46 x 3 and ask themselves where their problem is rather than the football authorities.

Possibly an owner not as good as ours?

32 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What are your thoughts on clubs fielding weakened sides, Huddersfield were heavily criticised for making ten changes in their match against Brum which seemed unfair on Forest and Blackburn.

I can understand the furore but surely over the season it is the club's faults if they don't get enough points and need to rely on other clubs losing to help them out ? 

I think Huddersfield earned the right to field the players they wanted to and to save others for the playoffs.

Tough titties on the losers . 

Only if the game had no baring on any relegation or promotion battles,

25 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Huddersfield quite rightly won't give a shit and why should they? Jeopardise their best shot a promotion just to help out Blackburn & Forest. 

There's only one team Huddersfield should be worrying about. And that's Huddersfield. 

Yeah, with their form, I'd be worried

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

In a way they have though, all the momentum before... now fielding weakened sides will kill it plus its all about position and they have dropped from 3rd to 5th.

Swindle did the same thing a couple of years back, fielding weakened sides once they were guaranteed a playoff spot... lost of all of their momentum, what happened to them?

I wouldn't be putting my money on them to get promoted

• Admin
35 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

It's not my viewpoint, but can't argue with @Fordy62, personally think they may have helped Birmingham survive but the way Huddersfield have played recently who's to say the result wouldn't have been the same 

LJ hinted he might put some youngsters in yet for the last few games his interviews would have been misleading for our opponents since he's said certain players carrying knocks could be 'bench at best' then they've been named in the side, obviously done on purpose. I reckon the only potential change in the starting line-up could be Vyner for Little, the rest will only come off the bench if we're winning. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Disagree Major. Would have been no problem had Huddersfield been playing a mid-table team with nothing riding on the result, but they were not. The Huddersfield decision to swap out 10 players has gifted Birmingham 3 pts, which they probably would not have got so has a potential direct impact on who goes down. This is disrespectful to the other teams battling to avoid the drop, very poor behaviour in my book and I hope they get a very large fine - not that it will be of much compensation to Forest or Blackburn if they end up going down as a result.

But it's only a problem because they were playing Birmingham.

Huddersfield aren't concerned with the opposition, that's none of their business. 

And whoever goes down, it will be because they didn't get enough points in a 46 game season

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Yep I'm all right Jack, what a poor comment to make from an unsporting act. Disliked Wagner from the start, couldn't reason as to why, now I know. 

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

It's the integrity of the competition that Wagner compromised when making his team selection for the Brum game.

Plus the FA are actually looking into the affair, not that I think they can or will do anything, totally disrespectful thing to do in dropping 10 from the previous line up. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

As you said Huddersfield have earned the right over 44 games to play the side they feel gives them the best chance in the play offs. Think someone said Bradford made 9 changes against Rochdale and no punishment. Ipswich made multiple changes for their game with Rotherham and no charge. The Huddersfield side had over 200 appearances between them, hardly players who don't feature. 

Mourinho has come out and said he will be resting players with 'more mileage' against Arsenal, they're 1 point behind Man City in 4th but view the Europa league as their easier way into the champions league for next season. Surely then resting players against Arsenal hurts the integrity of the league as much as Huddersfield? 

The rules don't say they have earned the right. The rules say they are obliged to play a full strength side. Whatever that means. 

58 minutes ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

In a way they have though, all the momentum before... now fielding weakened sides will kill it plus its all about position and they have dropped from 3rd to 5th.

Swindle did the same thing a couple of years back, fielding weakened sides once they were guaranteed a playoff spot... lost of all of their momentum, what happened to them?

I wouldn't be putting my money on them to get promoted

What goes round .... plus they probably didn't want to play Fulham. 

2 minutes ago, David Brent said:

But it's only a problem because they were playing Birmingham.

Huddersfield aren't concerned with the opposition, that's none of their business. 

And whoever goes down, it will be because they didn't get enough points in a 46 game season

Disagree. If you go down by a point and you played 46 games with the other team desperate to win while the team that stays up play 45 then the issue is clear. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

The rules don't say they have earned the right. The rules say they are obliged to play a full strength side. Whatever that means. 

It's such a BS rule, how do the football league define a teams strongest team? They can't monitor fitness, tactics etc. 

Just now, hodge said:

It's such a BS rule, how do the football league define a teams strongest team? They can't monitor fitness, tactics etc. 

Not easy to define exactly what a full strength side is BUT it's easy to define what it isn't, and Huddersfield were definitely the latter. 

1 hour ago, hodge said:

For half this season our head coach didn't know our strongest team, so how the heck would the Football League?

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Disagree. If you go down by a point and you played 46 games with the other team desperate to win while the team that stays up play 45 then the issue is clear. 

Luck of the draw.

Huddersfield can field whatever team they want. Why should the position of an opposition mean anything to them.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Not easy to define exactly what a full strength side is BUT it's easy to define what it isn't, and Huddersfield were definitely the latter. 

Its a side that had a combined 200 appearances between them, it wasn't a team of kids. What's the point of a squad if not to be able to use it?

Archived