IGNORED

Joe Bryan - Conference Player

Chairman Mao

30 minutes ago, Nube Rojo said:

Joe Bryan plays when he wants too, he's been like that all season, a shocking attitude for such a talented player!

Personally, I'd get shot in the summer, he's not gonna change!

Cant get shot, his Dad saved the managers Dad's life. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Unfair to point him out. Most were quite poor and not up for it. Another nothing performance from Lee Tomlin and yet his name was sung again when he come on. Why? Im no BCFC historian but when you take into account the fee and wages probably the worst transfer in the history of the club. 

I've been a big Bailey Wright fan since he's been here but he was horrible today. Seems to not think about things before he does them half the time. Last straw was when he went straight through the back of Donaldson near the end of the game. Eased the pressure right up. 

Think today just sums the club up really. A chance to be ruthless and possibly relegate a team but we were soft and not up for a fight. Guarantee if roles were reversed they equalise and send us down. 

to be fair tomlin only came on for a cameo role, I like joe but to say his final ball today was bad would be an understatement!

To be fair today was not his best game.

He picked up a knock in the first half dealing with a Bailey Wright hospital pass.

He made a few wrong decisions but to say he was shocking or questioning his attitude or he's "on the beach", come on get a grip

44 minutes ago, pillred said:

to be fair tomlin only came on for a cameo role, I like joe but to say his final ball today was bad would be an understatement!

Tomlin was on 30 minutes. He was available to get on the ball and had one outside the boot ball which everyone loves but I thought he gave it away a few times needlessly and just lacked the energy needed. He'd get on the ball and just stand there instead of driving into the space. A few lazy passes. He just frustrates me because you know he's capable of so much more. Joe has struggled all season with his final ball. He's frustrating because he should be much better. Often will skip by a defender and get in a good spot but waste the cross. Actually prefer him shooting even though that wasn't great today either 

3 hours ago, Spoons said:

He was awful again today. His decision making was shocking! Shooting instead of crossing, crossing instead of shooting.

Not sure I'd say he was awful.

For the most part we were so narrow up top that he didn't have any protection - neither Brownhill or Paterson offered enough width to provide a decent outlet nor did they help defensively, especially in the first half. I felt that both Bryan and Little were drastically exposed because of this.

Joe though, along with some others, needs to learn a lot more about game management - when you are chasing the game or when you're behind you don't get to the box and try to score a worldie. You play the percentages and put the ball in the box...keep the opposition under pressure rather than blaze a shot high, wide and not so handsome.

And when he got in to decent positions that excuse for a ref blew for innocuous fouls the other way. The less said about that clown the better.

1 hour ago, Swede said:

To be fair today was not his best game.

He picked up a knock in the first half dealing with a Bailey Wright hospital pass.

He made a few wrong decisions but to say he was shocking or questioning his attitude or he's "on the beach", come on get a grip

He was shocking Swede IMHO

Seriously shocking

33 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Joe Bryan confidence player (ie too much)

Think that may be it Apple

Was having an absolute mare if a game and then suddenly burst forward on a run second half , almost in anger and frustration and should have scored

Can go from looking like Ashley Cole to Nat King Cole in moments 

4 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Unfair to point him out. Most were quite poor and not up for it. Another nothing performance from Lee Tomlin and yet his name was sung again when he come on. Why? Im no BCFC historian but when you take into account the fee and wages probably the worst transfer in the history of the club. 

I've been a big Bailey Wright fan since he's been here but he was horrible today. Seems to not think about things before he does them half the time. Last straw was when he went straight through the back of Donaldson near the end of the game. Eased the pressure right up. 

Think today just sums the club up really. A chance to be ruthless and possibly relegate a team but we were soft and not up for a fight. Guarantee if roles were reversed they equalise and send us down. 

??????

The guy is a liability, every game we've played he's made mistakes! How he gets a game ahead of Maggy is beyond me! 

7 minutes ago, mcbcfc said:

??????

The guy is a liability, every game we've played he's made mistakes! How he gets a game ahead of Maggy is beyond me! 

Could not disagree more, he's been key in our survival and has made Flint look more assured alongside him. I don't think Magnusson is a bad player but I don't get the love-in either. If we lose Flinty hopefully him and Wright can strike up a similar partnership next season.

As for Joe, I've praised him recently whilst acknowledging he's seemingly a very confidence based player as he can either be very good or awful at Championship level. Today he was awful and it can't be a confidence thing after our and his recent form. Maybe already had his mind set on the beach which is a shame.

41 minutes ago, mcbcfc said:

??????

I think that's a bit unfair to him. I feel he's our best defender. Doesn't make too many mistakes in the tackle or with his positioning. On the ball he looks suspect for sure but part of that is he plays on the left being right footed. He's willing to be cynical and break up play even if it costs him a yellow. I like all that about him. 

Today was his worst game for me. Just seemed to be rash with every decision made but the same can be said about Joe and Flint. Flint had a few good tackles but the goal he got outpaced(fair enough) them out muscled(shouldn't be) then let the guy turn and shoot. I'm sure someone screwed up to allow him that space but he's got to do better there as well. All in all a very frustrating day that wore me out. I hope today wasn't indicative of how next season may go. 

I get that he didn't have a great game but no one did and he was by no means our worst player:

• Paterson didn't have any positive effect on the game - if someone can find even one little bit of positive play from him today I'll be amazed.
  • K Smith - probably his worst performance at the club. Couldn't pass the ball straight  and even short passes to Pack bobbled on the way through.
  • Giefer - just truly shocking, not a lot else to say there.

The only players who can say they played well today are Pack and Wright IMO. Birmingham played a horrible game today (as expected) but we had no answer.

JB can be frustrating at times because the ability is there and I think that bringing in another quality left back to challenge him next season will bring the best out of him, as it did when he kept Cunningham out the team in L1.

Unfortunately he did not turn up for the first half and twice the coach tried to give him instructions an he turned his back on him - dare I say arrogant?

I agree his best position is not in defence, but today our 8 and our 20 were not up to the job in the first half either.  Brownhill suffering the curse of the city 8 shirt like so many before him, first reaction to getting the ball passed to feet is to turn and see if the back pass is easier! Think the last 2 to suffer that were called Johnson and Kilkenny!

20 hours ago, Spoonbed said:

That was as bad a performance from a full back that I've seen since Brian Mitchell at Brentford 20 odd years ago. 

Funny you should say that, Bryan had a shocker at Brentford too last month. Getting ironically cheered by the home fans for successfully completing any pass or first touch. 

Regardless of whether he's being played in the right position or not, those are two things that a regular championship player should not struggle with. 

The fact that he has consistently struggled this season, whilst being immune from getting dropped  (or even subbed) is baffling 

I must have been watching a different Joe Bryan. He won some good headers, was strong in the challenge several times, played some incisive football down to Paterson or to Taylor, hit a couple of shots that were about as on target as most of our team's shots ever are, overlapped, wasn't at fault for the goal, used both feet, showed passion in front of the linesman who gave stupid decisions against him. I'll agree he has struggled at times both last and this year. I'll agree he made mistakes yesterday. I'll agree he hasn't progressed as much as we thought he might after an outstanding L1 season.

But is he playing in the right position? We know he can cross and shoot - pick out the goal v Cardiff for example and any number of his crosses that are good (they weren't great yesterday, no). I think we'd all agree he can cross and shoot, better than Magnusson and Golbourne, let's say. And with both feet, itself a rarity. So, if he's playing at full-back, presumably most of his training will be centred on defending. This isn't is best attribute. I think we'll all mostly agree on that. Therefore, he's being forced to play 80% of his game time defending, when he's better at attacking, shooting, crossing. He doesn't practise these, I'm guessing, unless he stays behind to do this himself.

Play him - consistently - in his best position (he can be a great L1 full back, not so much in this div.) and he'll show us what he can do, I believe. In the FL Paper a few weeks ago he spoke of consistently playing in the same position helping him develop. Therefore chopping and changing him this year hasn't helped him.

I'm not saying he's perfect. He's definitely got what it takes to be a good Champ player. Just prob not at left back. But that's just what I think (which you have to end every post with these days, for fear of some bellends calling you negative or gAss or a troll or something).

I think it is down to attitude - he can do some wonderful things but most of the time seems to coast and quite happy to do so.

He is often 10 yards minimum behind the position he could be when attacking making him not a viable option to pass too.

I would be happier with a player less savvy but more hungry to get up and down - a decent performance is 1 in 5 for him and that is below par !!

Do many players read the forum? There has probably been 20 or so similar threads this year and if Joey does read then his attitude is potentially worse than I feared as nothing has been done to change his work rate.

League 1 player who has not kicked on like we all thought he would is my final analysis.

On 07/05/2017 at 14:43, JoeAman08 said:

Couldn't disagree more - he was our best player IMO.

1 minute ago, cityboy99 said:

Apart from one or two games Bryan has played like he did yesterday ALL season. 

As a prosecution witness you wouldn't cut it.

Joe Bryan has played in four different positions.

Lee Johnson has a tough time of this season and he would have swooped on the well wherever I put him on the pitch its like a dog going back to its kennel excuse.

On 07/05/2017 at 15:26, BRISTOL86 said:

Well if his offensive quality is anything to go by he sure as shit isn't an attacking player either. So what exactly is he?! 

You don't have the most positive outlook on life, do you?  Yes, Joe had a poor game yesterday but he's had as many decent games and he is still young.  More than any other player in the squad he loses confidence when things go wrong, but if they can work on that he will get better.  Certainly worth the effort, even if he doesn't quite make it in the long run, especially as he's homegrown.

Or does that make me a complete wuss int the eyes of the there's-no-such-thing-as-loyalty win-at-any-cost generation?

1 hour ago, Creg said:

Couldn't disagree more - he was our best player IMO.

I agree he was decent and find it hard to understand how anyone could see him as poor.  Is this difference of opinion the result of seeing the game from different angles or levels?  I do wonder how fans at the same match can see a game so differently.

Just now, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

You don't have the most positive outlook on life, do you?  Yes, Joe had a poor game yesterday but he's had as many decent games and he is still young.  More than any other player in the squad he loses confidence when things go wrong, but if they can work on that he will get better.  Certainly worth the effort, even if he doesn't quite make it in the long run, especially as he's homegrown.

Or does that make me a complete wuss int the eyes of the there's-no-such-thing-as-loyalty win-at-any-cost generation?

I think in the grand scheme of things I'm actually fairly positive by City fans standards! ;) 

I think we're just far too sentimental about 'our own'. If he wasn't from Bristol then he'd get more stick than he does IMO. 

Hes an average defender and an average midfielder who IMO has made no real progress at all in the last two years. One of a number who were very good in league one but average at best at the higher level. 

Relativelt young in age he may be but with 4 full seasons of senior football under his belt I just don't see any real improvement in him. 

If we want to be an average club at this level he's just about good enough but if we want to be serious contenders for top 6 then he needs to be replaced with better. 

Nothing against the lad, the same is true of a number of our players.

My biggest pet hate with joe Bryan is when he loses the ball.. He just jogs back without a care in the world!!

He should be busting a gut to win the ball back , also he's only young so not sure why he always looks knackered !!

Conference player?

Whatever he has or hasn't done he's so far from that.

What has he got?

He can kick with either foot (so rare today) Head a ball, not afraid of a tackle when he's up for it.

Has the pace and a bit of skill to get past the fullback when on the overlap.

Can deliver across or a decent shot on occasions.

Now I'm not saying Jo is the finished article. Maybe he's to comfortable in life to worry how his football career  will pan out.

perhaps he needs the kick up the ass  and telling some home truths by his manager!!!

Where ever his career goes from here Conference player he is not. IMO.

Consistently, inconsistent. 

Joe, who I was a massive fan of, and the remainder of the team. Only exception being Flinty. Probably why Flinty will move on this Summer and the rest will remain. 

Unless we get a 'fix', we'll be in the same postion next year. The manager is responsible for fixing it. How long do you give someone, particularly when they buy in a load more inconsistent players in their first and second windows. 

Premier stadium, second rate team at present. With Tammy and Flinty going, this third window is far from being just dotting the i's. 

Archived