IGNORED

Stevie Cotterill, there's only one

AppyDAZE

I have to say that I was incredibly moved by Cotterill's lap yesterday. The highlight of the day. For all his faults I can't help but love the guy and I just don't have that connection with Johnson. I can't help but imagine him having walked around Bristol this last year thinking about what might have been...he looked genuinely moved to see the reaction he got. 

It's all about the future now and trying to improve on a fractious season together but I will always hold Steve in the highest regard for the double-winning season....results, spirit around the team and club and the best season I've experienced to date.

I still think he's a superior choice to Johnson as it stands, I also hope the latter develops and takes us on. 

4 hours ago, Shtanley said:

I can't believe people would still have him as our manager in this division, did excellently in league 1 both to save us then to win the double but was an absolute car crash at this level. A couple of his signings have been outstanding for us in this division namely Smith and Wilbraham. But his refusal to adapt and the fact he wouldn't use all the sub spots simply to make a statement which was arguably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. 

SL was never going to spend big money on single players in that window and SC couldn't cope with that, I can assure you he wasn't the one who went and found Kodjia I'm not even sure he rated him. We were maybe not going down under him but the sacking was fully justified. A lovely gesture to clap him yesterday but if you're closing your eyes and dreaming of him in charge then you've got issues. 

He was toxic come the end of his tenure and I for one don't miss him. Say what you want about SL but there was no hope of creating any long term sustainable plan with SC in charge. 

You could also be talking about LJ with the highlighted sentence, a record breaking car crash to boot.

17 hours ago, Bullbag said:

How I wish he was still manager of the City.

Ten times the man and ten times the manager of the current bore of a so called manager we currently unfortunately have.

I hope he get's the Birmingham job, he deserves it.

I think my tag line says it all.

54 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You could also be talking about LJ with the highlighted sentence, a record breaking car crash to boot.

Well I think LJ's win ratio at this level being better than his Dad's kind of proves that wrong imo. Naturally the run was a disgrace but I'm not fussed about him staying on as our manager. 

Just now, Shtanley said:

Well I think LJ's win ratio at this level being better than his Dad's kind of proves that wrong imo. Naturally the run was a disgrace but I'm not fussed about him staying on as our manager. 

Well bearing in mind his father took over alcoholics unanimous/fight club and then allowed ego to overtake talent after our play off defeat, I don't see it as a great plus.

1 hour ago, exAtyeoMax said:

You have to wonder why he was so 'toxic'…?

I certainly don't have issues but I definitely rate him as a coach, a lot higher than LJ!

Even though his ppg and his win ratio is way better than SC's? I definitely rate LJ higher. Less stubborn tactically for sure. The people I know who were around him near the end weren't exactly praising his friendliness. 

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well bearing in mind his father took over alcoholics unanimous/fight club and then allowed ego to overtake talent after our play off defeat, I don't see it as a great plus.

Yeah but consider the league finishes under GJ. Aside from an abysmal run spanning a third of a season LJ has done fine IMO. I like him, I like the club model we are trying to produce and I like the fact SL stood by his man when most would've sacked him and thrown the plan out the window. 

17 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Yeah but consider the league finishes under GJ. Aside from an abysmal run spanning a third of a season LJ has done fine IMO. I like him, I like the club model we are trying to produce and I like the fact SL stood by his man when most would've sacked him and thrown the plan out the window. 

I think that you grossly overstate the LJ has done fine bit and don't forget unlike his father LJ had the luxury of least of taking over a disciplined and together dressing room, something that I suspect is not the case now. But hey each to his own I hope he becomes an incredibly successful BCFC manager but the excuses have all been used and now he actually has to prove that he can deliver and at this precise moment in time I remain unconvinced.

34 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Or they could have sacked him, kept the plan, but just got a more proven manager in to implement it effectively?

14 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Or they could have sacked him, kept the plan, but just got a more proven manager in to implement it effectively?

Think one of the major points with that Rum is the plan / philosophy rules out the lions share of the potential head coach / managerial market

As some others have pointed out asking to maintain success whilst fulfilling / following the philosophy is a big ask of LJ or any Head Coach and a lot of candidates would say no thanks as they know their success or otherwise will be judged on results whilst they are operating a demanding model 

(The philosophy is a lovely idea and if it works would be great to follow - but I believe it's a very big ask at this level and the odds aren't in our favour IMHO but SL owns the Club and has made his intentions clear so we have no option but to hang on and take the ride !)

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Think one of the major points with that Rum is the plan / philosophy rules out the lions share of the potential head coach / managerial market

As some others have pointed out asking to maintain success whilst fulfilling / following the philosophy is a big ask of LJ or any Head Coach and a lot of candidates would say no thanks as they know their success or otherwise will be judged on results whilst they are operating a demanding model 

Holy crap, I feel like I'm supporting Google or Amazon here rather than a football club.  

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way I just wonder whether it's time to head to my local non league team for my football fix.

After 40 years I think that football has moved too far away from me (helped by the fact that I don't live in Bristol admittedly).

I think it maybe time that the new generation come in, Brighton appears to have managed to fill the stadium with the flag waving happy clappers.  If I was SL that's the model I'd try to follow too, leaves very little for the old guard though.

Im going to take the off season as a time to reassess.

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Holy crap, I feel like I'm supporting Google or Amazon here rather than a football club.  

I'm not disagreeing with you by the way I just wonder whether it's time to head to my local non league team for my football fix.

After 40 years I think that football has moved too far away from me (helped by the fact that I don't live in Bristol admittedly).

I think it maybe time that the new generation come in, Brighton appears to have managed to fill the stadium with the flag waving happy clappers.  If I was SL that's the model I'd try to follow too, leaves very little for the old guard though.

Im going to take the off season as a time to reassess.

Understand what you mean Rum

The Club , through necessity almost (£££) has almost become a middle tier business rather than a Football Club in the old traditional sense

As I say , through necessity I guess (sigh) in the changing times

The stadium is great but again yesterday , with a full house contained  of a lot who never made a sound , clapped or stood to cheer at any point - it's like being in a theatre audience at times (Sec 82 may be my salvation , mid fifties or not)

The whole hot dog / continually blaring music from the PA / plastic atmosphee creations / sit and watch quietly culture is everything I really don't like about modern day football

Many will and whether we like it or not it has changed considerably - My natural love of the actual game is at conflict with the new modern  ' experience ' , if you know what I mean

We either embrace it mate , cope with it or leave it 

:whistle:

(I'm somewhere near the latter but trying to accept the middle option !!! )

I don't think our club will ever get to the plastic atmosphere of Brighton. I was there for that game and it was terrible. I think relative to the rest of the league Bristolians are certainly traditional and I can fully get why most aspects of modern football frustrate us as a fan base.

The PA is unnecessary and I agree with Massive attack who when asked to write an anthem for city they refused and said we'd rather they ran out to the crowd. 

I don't really get the hatred for SL and him wanting to run the football club as a self-sufficient one. I like LJ being kept on. I don't think there were many possible replacements I would have picked over him anyway. First full season in the championship and he's coped better than SC did last season. 

54 minutes ago, Tiree said:

OMG Nick J is at it again. Just when everyone else feels great about the fantastic end to a difficult season, a full house at a fantastic stadium, a great send off to S.C and there's always one... just cant let go of his so out of date and totally boring little digs at our owner who has done more for City and West Country sport than anyone Nick j could name. One has to suspect he is a bluephew as his words are those of a jealous one. Clearly he never saw the games under SC where we continued to play 3 at the back and get hammered. Under Lj we have only been well beaten on one occasion and that is in a much higher standard of football. Thanks SC for a fabulous Double but now we all move on

Aww have I upset you?

A quick scan through your 94 posts since joining in March 2016 reveal the vast majority supporting LJ or saying complimentary things about LJ and SL.

And periodically picking off posters who have been critical of LJ.

Including one where you refer to "Bristol".

Do you a deal - I will carry on having my opinions on a forum and you can carry on bleating.

You my as well accept that offer as it's going to happen anyway.

1 hour ago, Tiree said:

OMG Nick J is at it again. Just when everyone else feels great about the fantastic end to a difficult season, a full house at a fantastic stadium, a great send off to S.C and there's always one!

Ignore button....it works for me!

30 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I don't think our club will ever get to the plastic atmosphere of Brighton. I was there for that game and it was terrible. I think relative to the rest of the league Bristolians are certainly traditional and I can fully get why most aspects of modern football frustrate us as a fan base.

The PA is unnecessary and I agree with Massive attack who when asked to write an anthem for city they refused and said we'd rather they ran out to the crowd. 

I don't really get the hatred for SL and him wanting to run the football club as a self-sufficient one. I like LJ being kept on. I don't think there were many possible replacements I would have picked over him anyway. First full season in the championship and he's coped better than SC did last season. 

Not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing either way with the bulk of what you've said, but regards the highlighted bit, I think it is entirely fair to argue that Gary Rowett was available for a period, and I've zero doubts he would have been an excellent replacement had LJ moved on.

Only raise it to dispel any myths about LJ surviving due to lack of options; it was SL's wish to keep him, come rain or shine, that meant he remained - let's us not kid ourselves on that front.

12 minutes ago, samo II said:

Not necessarily disagreeing or agreeing either way with the bulk of what you've said, but regards the highlighted bit, I think it is entirely fair to argue that Gary Rowett was available for a period, and I've zero doubts he would have been an excellent replacement had LJ moved on.

Only raise it to dispel any myths about LJ surviving due to lack of options; it was SL's wish to keep him, come rain or shine, that meant he remained - let's us not kid ourselves on that front.

No of course that's not why he's still in the job, I don't think Rowett would've come here though. Especially considering he almost got the swansea job. For certain would've waited for a better team. 

Just now, Shtanley said:

No of course that's not why he's still in the job, I don't think Rowett would've come here though. Especially considering he almost got the swansea job. For certain would've waited for a better team. 

Possibly, but we literally will never know; I think he'd have listened to us had we wanted to talk to him.

I'm also not convinced Derby's hierarchy are of a right mind half the time, based off some of that flat-out bizarre decision making they've displayed the last few years, but with Rowett being loca and an ex-player, I see the appeal to him.

LJ is here, he's going nowhere, and we should live with it however we feel about it, but he still has a lot to prove - I know you've highlighted his win record a few times here, but I'm unconvinced that is anywhere near the best measure of a manager's ability, unless it is extraordinarily high (I'm talking 50% plus).

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The Club , through necessity almost (£££) has almost become a middle tier business rather than a Football Club in the old traditional sense

The stadium is great but again yesterday , with a full house contained  of a lot who never made a sound , clapped or stood to cheer at any point - it's like being in a theatre audience at times (Sec 82 may be my salvation , mid fifties or not)

The whole hot dog / continually blaring music from the PA / plastic atmosphee creations / sit and watch quietly culture is everything I really don't like about modern day football

Many will and whether we like it or not it has changed considerably - My natural love of the actual game is at conflict with the new modern  ' experience ' , if you know what I mean

There were few things to get animated about yesterday, other than:

1. Taunt Brum about going down/one goal and you're going down. But they were winning for most of the game.

2. Groan at another poor pass/ poor cross or shot from Joe B.

3. Shout at Lee Mason.

We managed one shot on target, I think. There was little in it for us yesterday, until Tammy toured the ground, and then Cotts.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bob, not where I am sat, I am thinking of marketing bladder control bags ( male and female) as if I was in a theatre and had to endure the constant, 'sorry mate' of people going to a) relieve themselves  b) buy more beer/cider to end up relieving themselves yet again, the cast would stop performing ( although parts of this season, some of them have !!!) And the whole match is only 90 minutes!!

11 hours ago, Aizoon said:

He gave us one of the best seasons in my 60 years as a fan. That third goal against the Swine is one of the great moments of my life - how sad is that?

Very moving. Horace has tears in his little black eyes :) 

PS I luved itt too <°₩₩.

I think that Swindon game was one of the best I've seen in a bloody long time.

12 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

I think that Swindon game was one of the best I've seen in a bloody long time.

Real old-school passion, on and off the pitch. Some cracking football from the lads. Cotts doing his nut when we scored the third. What football is all about but so rarely is these days...

And, for pure comedy, Swindon fans singing "This is a shithole, I want to go home" - to Swindon?

1 hour ago, Aizoon said:

Real old-school passion, on and off the pitch. Some cracking football from the lads. Cotts doing his nut when we scored the third. What football is all about but so rarely is these days...

And, for pure comedy, Swindon fans singing "This is a shithole, I want to go home" - to Swindon?

We played for the win from the start, played some great football and everyone put in a shift.

Brilliant atmosphere. A few Swindon players probably wished they were somewhere else that night.

Archived