IGNORED

Too Lightweight

Rich

Just now, Wanderingred said:

I cant believe the bile thats been spouted here over the last 24 hours. So we took our foot off the gas for a meaningless fixture and were outfought by opponents who desperately needed a win... Its disappointing sure but its hardly the end of the world or worthy of some of the ridiculous reactions I've read.. This sort of thing happens all the time. Brentford, Ipswich and Barnsley are other examples of teams well beaten by opponents who simply needed a result more than they did.

I prefer to focus on how well we did in the games previous to yesterday, when the pressure was really on us.

There is something to be said for that view, WR.

However, like everyone, I could only leave the ground yesterday disappointed that we were toothless when Brum sat back and defended, and deflated at a home loss to a team we should really beat.

It was a tremendous opportunity lost to sell the club to many of the supporters who paid for tickets, but are not regular attenders.

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

I cant believe the bile thats been spouted here over the last 24 hours. So we took our foot off the gas for a meaningless fixture and were outfought by opponents who desperately needed a win... Its disappointing sure but its hardly the end of the world or worthy of some of the ridiculous reactions I've read.. This sort of thing happens all the time. Brentford, Ipswich and Barnsley are other examples of teams well beaten by opponents who simply needed a result more than they did.

I prefer to focus on how well we did in the games previous to yesterday, when the pressure was really on us.

it was not a meaningless fixture for 3 teams and should not have been meaningless for us, professional pride and respect, respect for the other 23 teams in our division and huge crowd who attended, anything less than 100% becomes a habit and a bad habit at that and we have seen that too many times this season.

Just now, Red-Robbo said:

There is something to be said for that view, WR.

However, like everyone, I could only leave the ground yesterday disappointed that we were toothless when Brum sat back and defended, and deflated at a home loss to a team we should really beat.

It was a tremendous opportunity lost to sell the club to many of the supporters who paid for tickets, but are not regular attenders.

No doubt. As I said, it was a real shame not to sign off with a win infront of 25,000 but to log in this morning and see several threads absolutely scolding the team, manager and owner was disappointing. I'm not sure Birmingham should be described as a team we should really beat either...

4 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

That attitude is what separates the winners from the also rans . The very best don't go into to cruise mode for any game . They have too much self respect . The idea that the team can pick and choose when they give a 100% doesn't wash with me I'm afraid.

Not to mention the fact that it was a sell out at Ashton Gate , the chance to put on a performance to attract some future supporters and give something back to the fantastic Red Army who have had to put up with so much this season.

I am disappointed with our performance yesterday not necessarily the result .

Just now, Esmond Million's Bung said:

it was not a meaningless fixture for 3 teams and should not have been meaningless for us, professional pride and respect, respect for the other 23 teams in our division and huge crowd who attended, anything less than 100% becomes a habit and a bad habit at that and we have seen that too many times this season.

I accept we didn't play well, but I don't think we can be accused of not giving it a go.  We did, we just weren't clever enough on the day.  That said, Birmingham defended their lead well, and how often do we see a team with most of the possession fail to break down a team defending a 1-0 lead?  No big deal for me.  We gave it a good go in the second half and yes, maybe we were 10% below par, but I certainly don't think we weren't trying.

Just now, Major Isewater said:

That attitude is what separates the winners from the also rans . The very best don't go into to cruise mode for any game . They have too much self respect . The idea that the team can pick and choose when they give a 100% doesn't wash with me I'm afraid.

Not to mention the fact that it was a sell out at Ashton Gate , the chance to put on a performance to attract some future supporters and give something back to the fantastic Red Army who have had to put up with so much this season.

I am disappointed with our performance yesterday not necessarily the result .

Really?  I've seen some very good teams go into cruise mode for fixtures which are not life and death.  How would you have reacted to their defeat by us if you had been a Brighton supporter?  I don't think for a moment that Brighton couldn't be bothered against us, but they were undoubtedly below their best, as they were for the last four or five games. 

1 minute ago, Wanderingred said:

No doubt. As I said, it was a real shame not to sign off with a win infront of 25,000 but to log in this morning and see several threads absolutely scolding the team, manager and owner was disappointing. I'm not sure Birmingham should be described as a team we should really beat either...

They won 2 of their final 12 games.

To Huddersfield Reserves and us.

If you guys want to get wound up and dwell over yesterdays result then go ahead. I'm just putting it out there that I much prefer to praise the team with the way they've dealt with the pressure immensely and guided us to safety over the last month (with some cracking football to boot) and that being outfought by in a desperate situation happens to countless teams every single year.

.Bring on next season.

3 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

If you guys want to get wound up and dwell over yesterdays result then go ahead. I'm just putting it out there that I much prefer to praise the team with the way they've dealt with the pressure immensely and guided us to safety over the last month (with some cracking football to boot) and that being outfought by in a desperate situation happens to countless teams every single year.

.Bring on next season.

Sadly it has nothing to do with dwelling on anything, the OP was an observation about exactly where our main problems of this season have emanated from and where they need to be improved for next season.

1 hour ago, Wanderingred said:

well they havnt been down there all season for nothing are you really convinced you saw any pluses for next year thats the worrying thing  youve already had lansdown stating no big signings expected in the summer self sufficient relying on youth coming through more nailbiting next year with the quality in this league

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

At the same time, if you have a ******** of a ref who allows anyone in a blue shirt to indulge in all-in wrestling, then you are at a disadvantage from the start.

I don't think Djuric or Flint go down particularly easily, but both were manhandled off the ball and pushed to the ground on several occasions yesterday.

On another day, Birmingham could have finished the match with 9 men.

Accept all that RR but (most of) our players consistently pulled out of 50/50s and even 60/40s 

Grips my s**t , maybe just me

2 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

One of the major problems IMHO with this group of players - seem to have an idea they are good enough to go up gears or throttle down when they choose to

Bad mentality and a very bad habit as @Esmond Million's Bung Rightly points out

17 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Definitely bullied all over pitch today and lost count of how many pulled out of challenges or made a feeble / token effort

Didn't want their leg in plaster on the beach. Terrible for tan lines. 

5 hours ago, petehinton said:

You say they aren't good enough, yet both of the are the 'midfield general that break up play and sit infront of the defence'. I've said it before, but Pack is the most underrated player we've had in years. The age old 'be careful what you wish for' is too true of those who say he isn't good enough and sell him. He's just turned 26 and has played over 300 games, and has also been ever present in City teams under 3 managers. I think that says everything.

1) They do not break up play. They stand there while opposition players at many of times have an easy run through, unchecked, and unchallenged. 

2) I fail to agree

3) And look where we have finished again in the Championship....

Archived