IGNORED

Potential signings - Who would you like to see join?

Tipps69

Now the seasons finished & we have more of an idea as to who will be in what division, are there any players out there that you think could realistically join City?

Other than the rumoured possible loan links with the Premier League clubs for the next Tammy, who else could join us & help us progress & fill some of our problem positions?

I would hope that any potential Premier League gems will help fill different positions as I would like to think a new keeper, right-back, left-back (although LJ clearly has faith in Joe Bryan), central-midfielder (all action type who can contribute with some goals), right-midfielder / winger (who can add some pace & good delivery) & obviously a goal scoring striker to replace Tammy.

I wouldn't like for us to rely on any potential Premier League gems to fill those positions for the full season as I don't think finding another Tammy is going to be that easy & it certainly shouldn't be expected as being a normal occurrence as youngsters will acclimatise at different rates so we will need to look towards players with a bit more experience than a player just starting out in his career.

And while I'd love for us to recruit English / British players that know the standard, I just don't think there is the true value for money available for a club of our stature to be able to progress, so I'd expect us to purchase a couple of players from abroad in the hope of finding that gem.

Is there anyone to take from Rotherham, Wigan, Blackburn or the teams that have stayed in League One? Danny Ward at Rotherham sticks out but they'll probably want more for him than we're willing to pay unless there is a clause in his contract or he kicks up a fuss about not wanting to play in League One.

Anyone worth taking from Blackburn? They'll probably want decent money for unless it's to get rid of high earners & the only person who sticks out to me is Sam Gallagher who was on loan from Southampton anyway. They have some players who are fairly highly thought of but as I've said above, I'd expect them to want top money for them as all of the relegated clubs will already start the new season with £5m less in income!!

Players from relegated clubs from the Premier League will probably be on to high wages & probably be looking for moves back to the Premier League & realistically is there anyone from Sunderland, Middlesbrough & either of Hull or Swansea that we'd want or who would come to us?

Anyone else we look at from League One or Two are likely to be young players with potential for the future & what we need are players for the here & now.

So other than players out of contract are there any players that you'd realistically think we could / should sign to help us progress? Or should we expect players who are fairly unknown to the majority of us?

The one player who has caught my eye is Mark Marshall at Bradford, a wide-midfielder / winger who can play either side but having looked a bit more into him, at 30 years-old he's probably not in the age bracket we're going to be looking at & having never performed at this level it's unlikely that we would take a risk on such a player even if Bradford failed to gain promotion against Millwall in the play-offs.

14 minutes ago, Taz said:

Nick Powell from Wigan.

Obviously has ability but seemingly has issues with fitness & was unable to start games although he scored a few towards the end of the season after coming off the bench. Still has age on his side but does he have the desire to want to perform?

14 minutes ago, Oxheart said:

Elliott Bennett may be a decent signing 

Would we have him back after seemingly jumping a sinking ship to join Blackburn? Could be a bonus that he has an idea of the club & the surroundings, just not sure how he'd be received coming back here.

That ugbo kid from chelsea will be joining as a tammy replacement I'd imagine, I think frankie deserves to play next season, he's come on leaps and bounds this year with his presence, distribution etc, that right back from burnley would be a good buy imo, forgotten his name though, Albert may be worth splashing a few million for from villa, not likely i know but worth a shot, if not I'd like to see us bring in ryan kent on loan, looks like a fantastic player

3 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I watched Jordan Spence play for Ipswich against Forest yesterday. Thought he had a fairly decent game considering the score. Would've been more without him. 

Did see his name linked with us the other day somewhere actually. Apparently us and one other looking at him.

Can't remember where I saw it, whether it was online or in the papers, so can't say whether it was a credible source or just heresay.

21 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

That ugbo kid from chelsea will be joining as a tammy replacement I'd imagine, I think frankie deserves to play next season, he's come on leaps and bounds this year with his presence, distribution etc, that right back from burnley would be a good buy imo, forgotten his name though, Albert may be worth splashing a few million for from villa, not likely i know but worth a shot, if not I'd like to see us bring in ryan kent on loan, looks like a fantastic player

Darikwa maybe? 

I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Canos again TBH, he's got something about him and I'm not sure Brentford can afford him apart from on loan.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Was he playing RB or Centre Half Fordy ?

I think he was playing Centre Half. A good few last minute tackles to deny Assombalonga. On the strength of yesterday I'd probably have him. And Ipswich having to buy a striker from Forest Green for 10k tells the story of their finances. 

Just now, Ska Junkie said:

Darikwa maybe? 

I wouldn't mind seeing us go for Canos again TBH, he's got something about him and I'm not sure Brentford can afford him apart from on loan.

Canos isn't on loan , Brentford bought him for 2.5m

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

Ryan Kent , currently on loan to Barnsley from Liverpool .

Looked a very exciting direct forward player.

1 goal, 3 assists plus 1000 step overs & Cruyff turns in 40+ games.

Speak with Barnsley fans he's extremely frustrating. Easy on the eye with his skills but zero end product.

We watched Kent & had meeting with his agent last summer but decided against it at that time.

15 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Darikwa maybe? 

that's the one, isn't getting much game time there and would be a step up on little imo

We definitely need a RB, someone like Darikwa or Janko (Barnsley RB on loan from Celtic) would do the trick. Maybe an experienced left back to guide Joe. If we're looking to loan in a young striker then Thierry Ambrose would be a good shout

34 minutes ago, yatesuperreds said:

Christoffer Nyman 11 goals in bundesliga 2  & Kevin Möhwald had 14 assists 

Nyman is a very good player. His club Eiintracht Braunschweig are a top club in Bundesliga 2. When he was in Sweden, IFK Norrköping it was runmors that City was interested. He was cheap two years ago. Forsberg another swede went to Leipzig in Bundesliga 2 two years ago, now they are in second place behind Bayern München. Rumors that Arsenal want him. So what I mean, there is plenty of good players in Europa for small money. Scouting is very important.

City have got Kodjia, Djuric and Engvall fr.o.m. other countries. Often are they cheaper than english players. Dont say they are better but som are very good. Look at Marhez in Leicester, Le Havre french second division. Vardy, Fleetwood ? Those strikers very little money. Leicester Champions but thats another story.

Would like to see us go for Assombalonga. Powerful striker, can score goals ,and good at holding the ball up.

Will cost a few quid, not sure about wages but would be a good replacement for Tammy IMO. 

Any thoughts on trying to bring Baldock back? Don't think he'll get much game time next season for Brighton, certainly improved since left us

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think he was playing Centre Half. A good few last minute tackles to deny Assombalonga. On the strength of yesterday I'd probably have him. And Ipswich having to buy a striker from Forest Green for 10k tells the story of their finances. 

I don't totally agree Fordy, if he plays a bit for them , even if he doesn't do a great deal being a  player at a Championship club instantly makes him,at least,  a £100,000 quid player.

I would say a sound bit of business with no risk.

If we were to sell Matty Taylor this summer he'd go for at least £500,000 .

I don't know about their finances but they are a well supported club with history,they shouldn't be too strapped for cash I'd have thought ?

1 hour ago, daored said:

Would like to see us go for Assombalonga. Powerful striker, can score goals ,and good at holding the ball up.

Will cost a few quid, not sure about wages but would be a good replacement for Tammy IMO. 

Any thoughts on trying to bring Baldock back? Don't think he'll get much game time next season for Brighton, certainly improved since left us

Honestly can't see us splashing 10 mill on one striker, would like to see Baldock but he's been getting a good bit of game time at Brighton and with Murray being like 35 I reckon they'll keep him

I'd like the club to sign a lad from Kingswood, isnt at a club so will be cheap, I'll *cough* I mean he will take lower wages than most Championship players and you can guarentee 100% commitment in every game, dead rubber or not. 

He's only 21 so has room to improve too and fits in with the 5 pillars.

His first name is James. Sign him up LJ

Nick Powell would be on my list as well. He's fantastic on a good day, and with the right coaching he could be a solid forward.

The top of my list would be Ravel Morrison. He might have a troubled past, but he's shown Premier League quality, and we'd probably be able to land him on a free. If LJ can get the best out of him we'll have someone that can legitimately pull the strings against any Championship opposition.

1 minute ago, EnderMB said:

Nick Powell would be on my list as well. He's fantastic on a good day, and with the right coaching he could be a solid forward.

The top of my list would be Ravel Morrison. He might have a troubled past, but he's shown Premier League quality, and we'd probably be able to land him on a free. If LJ can get the best out of him we'll have someone that can legitimately pull the strings against any Championship opposition.

:blink:

Talented player but never performed for any period at any club he's ever been at

If SAF , Sam Allardyce and a few notable others couldn't deal with him - do you think LJ could ?

*cough*

Tomlin

Powell has talent but a poor fitness record and his career has stalled after great early promise - a definite 'gamble'

2 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

1 goal, 3 assists plus 1000 step overs & Cruyff turns in 40+ games.

Speak with Barnsley fans he's extremely frustrating. Easy on the eye with his skills but zero end product.

We watched Kent & had meeting with his agent last summer but decided against it at that time.

I can make my own judgements thanks!! 

He's a young player who will add goals and assists to his game as he gets older I would imagine.

I also go to football to be entertained, Ryan Kent was easily the most exciting player I've watched play against city this season. 

1 hour ago, JBFC II said:

Honestly can't see us splashing 10 mill on one striker, would like to see Baldock but he's been getting a good bit of game time at Brighton and with Murray being like 35 I reckon they'll keep him

I would be surprised especially as he's had a number of injuries. We need to get someone in who we can rely on to score goals. That's going to cost money unless we take a gamble on a player stepping up from lower leagues, youngsters like Tammy or a player aboard 

Archived