IGNORED

City's young players

Take your point re. Sinclair but he has had a lot of off the field problems too I understand which may have affected his playing time and led to the number of moves he`s had perhaps.

Personally I blame a lot of it on the change in the loan rules where you can`t send a lad out for a month or two months here and there any more. All it has done is stunted the development of a lot of promising youngsters most of whom will never make it in the game now. It would be so simple to rectify, just make the rules not apply to any player under 23.

50 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

I think Kelly and Dowling personally. I like Vyner but I'm not sure if he's gonna be a CB or a right back. 

I liked what I saw in the glimpses I've seen of Dowling - looked composed and a 'footballer' but not seen enough for a proper view

I havnt seen Kelly play but he looks an athlete and appears a very grounded 'Tammy type' lad in his personality so would hope he has every chance :fingerscrossed:

Is he an out and out left back Shtanley or does he have the potential to play anywhere else ?

Marcus Trescothick?

My boy is 7, and a fairly accomplished footballer, he has been 'spotted' by someone in the local amateur leagues who has links with rovers, and he plays for his local team. I would love for him to signed up for city, but you would have to say that should southampton be interested, with their history of developing young players it would be a tough decision to make, and it would be heart ruling head choosing city over them.

23 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Take your point re. Sinclair but he has had a lot of off the field problems too I understand which may have affected his playing time and led to the number of moves he`s had perhaps.

Personally I blame a lot of it on the change in the loan rules where you can`t send a lad out for a month or two months here and there any more. All it has done is stunted the development of a lot of promising youngsters most of whom will never make it in the game now. It would be so simple to rectify, just make the rules not apply to any player under 23.

Can't disagree with any of that - not privy to Sinclair's personal stuff obviously, but do think his move to Chelsea at 16 was one of those where I question if that was the best thing to do.

Would a year or two more at a League Two club, likely getting games (even if just as a sub mainly) have held him back all that much?

19 minutes ago, Robin Ashton said:

Didn't Joe Bryan say in an interview this season something along the lines of, his debut came too soon/on reflection that he wasn't really ready for the first team?

He was a key part of a team that won a league and cup double season when he was 21, and in fact had helped Plymouth avoid relegation two years prior; he's nearly 24 now - how old did he want to be before debuting? 

In fact, he said himself getting league football at Plymouth at a young age in a pressured environment was important to his development - the below is from an article after he came back from his loan there; 

The 19-year-old became an important member of the Pilgrims' squad after arriving at Home Park in mid-March.

Bryan started 10 successive matches, all on the left of midfield, and scored a superb goal in the 2-1 win away to Chesterfield on April 16.

That victory proved vital as Argyle narrowly avoided dropping out of the Football League.

While Bryan has been away from Bristol City, they have been relegated from the Championship.

Manager Sean O'Driscoll will have a rebuilding task at Ashton Gate next term, and Bryan hopes to see plenty of action.

Bryan has already made 13 appearances for the Robins at first team level, mainly at left-back, after stepping up from their youth ranks.

He told Herald Sport: "As a Bristol City fan, it's disappointing to see them relegated. You want them to be playing in as high a league as possible.

"But, from a personal point of view, I might get more games and I will be able to develop as a footballer, like I have done here (at Argyle)."

Bryan was 'relieved' the Pilgrims escaped relegation, despite losing 1-0 away to Rochdale in their season-ending fixture on Saturday.

They had only 10 players for most of the match after centre-back Maxime Blanchard was sent-off in the 14th minute for a professional foul.

Bryan admitted he had learned a lot during his six weeks with Argyle.

He said: "Take Saturday, for example, I have never played with 10 men in a match situation.

"I have been getting brilliant experience week in week out, being involved in a relegation battle and playing every minute of every game. I have really enjoyed it."

I think Bryan is an excellent example of what blooding players young, and ensuing they are challenged and developed in 'real' football (not just youth matches) can do for them - he's linked with Premier League teams; I do not think his promise was harmed by playing for us or in League football on loan.

I just hope both Moore, Vyner and Tin Plavotic have had similar worthwhile experiences to Joe this season (sprinkling of football for us for a couple, and more out on loan in the league), and come back champing at the bit to play for City, with that being a realistic opportunity.

43 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I liked what I saw in the glimpses I've seen of Dowling - looked composed and a 'footballer' but not seen enough for a proper view

I havnt seen Kelly play but he looks an athlete and appears a very grounded 'Tammy type' lad in his personality so would hope he has every chance :fingerscrossed:

Is he an out and out left back Shtanley or does he have the potential to play anywhere else ?

Think from what I have seen BBSB I would say he is left sided centre back but he does look composed enough as a left back.

Just now, Robin Ashton said:

I've no idea! I think he was talking about his first game for City (I think he was 18 at the time) and just how big a step up it was.

That's fair - ironic though, as I remember his first game (started at home in a win against Leicester), and he looked superb; showed no fear, and helped us to a first win for a long time.

12 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Anyone?

Went on-loan at Margate for a month and came off the bench once... 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-robins-starlets-who-caught-34164

Report from last months Under 23s win against Cardiff highlights Morrell as a stand out player:

While George Dowling often takes the U23 plaudits with his wide range of passing, strong midfield runs and shock of blond hair, it was his midfield partner who caught our eye more in this game.

Morrell has spent time at National League South side Margate this season, and perhaps that spell has helped the dynamic 20-year-old increase his effectiveness in the middle of the pitch. Several well-timed challenges and a fine evening of neat interplay are testament, and he did well against the physical challenge offered by the opposing Lloyd humphries.

Morrell helped the Robins get an initial foothold in the game and maintain dominance in the crucial areas of the pitch.

On 14/05/2017 at 11:36, Shtanley said:

I think Kelly and Dowling personally. I like Vyner but I'm not sure if he's gonna be a CB or a right back. 

Dowling - I was surprised by his build when he made his debut at the end of 15/16 season.  Hope he hasn't slipped back this season, because I've not heard much about him this season even in the u23 games.

On 14/05/2017 at 12:28, BobBobSuperBob said:

I saw him play LCB in the first half of the friendly v Brislington (and Keynsham) at the start of the 15/16 season.  He looked a real talent, with a good physique, looked a natural athlete.  Good that he's been involved a few times in the match day squad.

23 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Think from what I have seen BBSB I would say he is left sided centre back but he does look composed enough as a left back.

Could he really challenge Joe Bryan for LB next season....assuming we don't bring in a new one?

Both Dowling and Kelly are young, even in the u23s, there are several a year or two ahead of them.  I think those two have a greater chance than others.

....finally @samo II 3 excellent posts in this thread. :clap:

25 minutes ago, !james said:

Went on-loan at Margate for a month and came off the bench once... 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/three-robins-starlets-who-caught-34164

Report from last months Under 23s win against Cardiff highlights Morrell as a stand out player:

Hmmm.  We need to make more of our young talent.  Perhaps FGR being in the League will be an opportunity for more league exposure on loan.

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 23:37, samo II said:

For a couple of recent examples of why we will be unable to build a team from the best possible young players available, look no further than Jacob Maddox and Herbie Kane - both absorbed into the vast youth set-ups of Chelsea and Liverpool respectively at just 14; both seen as future internationals at the time, but now will be 18/19 and to my knowledge neither has played first team football anywhere.

These kids are called the next Gerrards or Lampards, but players like that debuted young (we're talking 18) and got games at that age; how few do we see like Tammy who actually get games at sub-20?  Too few in my eyes; give them football and see if they can do it - pointless otherwise.

That for me is where City need to be bold and smart; we might not be category one and have the 'glamour' of being premier league, but if we commit to actually giving youth players pitch time in 'live-fire' games, the hope will be that the likes of the next Kane or Maddox (or even any potential West Country Tammy) will decide to commit to us at a young age, knowing they will actually get a chance at playing first team, not just be held on to as assists until finally getting shuttled off on loan in their early 20s before being released to fend for themselves.

I've said it before and stand by it; I would accept us having to scrap each season if we were at least doing so in part due to being committed to blooding and testing our own youngsters.

For all this talk of the much vaunted 'pathway', I want us to put our money where our mouth is and actually try and get some of our 17/18/19 year olds forming part of the match day squads and truly developing.  Fulham have only had cat one since 2012, and since yet have a solid record of drawing on their youth players to bolster their squads - Dembele and that mega-young lad this year are decent examples.

Just think we talk a lot about giving the kids a chance, but I'd like us commit to actually doing it week in week out; that would be a 'pillar' or philosophy or whatever I could get behind.

Steven Gerrard in his autobiography said he saw Kane as being the next big thing at Liverpool

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

....finally @samo II 3 excellent posts in this thread. :clap:

Cheers, Dave; just a topic I've a lot of thoughts on - really hope we are serious about making the most of our academy.

2 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Steven Gerrard in his autobiography said he saw Kane as being the next big thing at Liverpool

I'm aware the lad is a City fan; what with the way things have gone with Tammy this season, I did wonder that if Kane isn't going to get minutes at Liverpool, might getting him in the door not be an idea next year?

7 hours ago, samo II said:

I'm aware the lad is a City fan; what with the way things have gone with Tammy this season, I did wonder that if Kane isn't going to get minutes at Liverpool, might getting him in the door not be an idea next year?

If he gets any say in it, and we're interested of course, I'm certain he will be here on loan within the next 3 years.

He's not just a former academy player with a passing interest in the club, he's a genuine fan and would love to have the chance to play here.

31 minutes ago, SecretSam said:

Well, that seems fair

Cat1 can take any player from a cat 2 or below for a nominal fee (around 25k) plus bonuses which also works out at peanuts, it was what the prem wanted in place and it was a case of accept it or we'll pull all FL funding,

15 hours ago, TheRedHalf said:

Can someone explain what the club needs to do to get Cat 1 status, seems that Mr Landsdown has invested a lot and not seen much in the way of results?

infrastructure, more funding, more coaches, which the club are addressing but it will take time

Archived