IGNORED

Pompey have forced me to....

BS4 on Tour...

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....update one of my banker football triv questions....

Before last weekend only three teams had won all four English Divisions - now it's four. 

Surprisingly small number?

For the record, the answer is Burnley, PNE, Wolves & Pompey - four proper football clubs....

I certainly wouldn't call Pompey well run......

10 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

....update one of my banker football triv questions....

Before last weekend only three teams had won all four English Divisions - now it's four. 

Surprisingly small number?

For the record, the answer is Burnley, PNE, Wolves, Sheffield United & Pompey - four proper football clubs....and Sheffield United

Corrected it for you 

2 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Not sure how tongue in cheek you are being but that isn't how fan owned clubs work 

I've never quite understood how fan owned clubs work or for that matter what a fan owned club is.

Is it a club with lots of small shareholders or a club with a few larger shareholders who happed to be fans?

I've never got my head around who actually pays for stuff either. Take us SL put the money up for the new stadium and has dipped his hand in his pocket for players and dare I say managers. If the club was owned/run by the 20,000 fans who turn up most weeks does that mean the cash would have to come from them or is it borrowed from a bank?

I'm not trying to be clever, I genuinely have never understood the concept and would be interested to know.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Unfortunately, given the number of bellends that live in that slum of a town.

Red Robbo, Southampton resident 1987-90. "Never forget your prejudices!" :D

Portsmouth - where a vigilante mob attacked the home of a paediatrician. 

42 minutes ago, CHIPLEY RED said:

I've never quite understood how fan owned clubs work or for that matter what a fan owned club is.

Is it a club with lots of small shareholders or a club with a few larger shareholders who happed to be fans?

I've never got my head around who actually pays for stuff either. Take us SL put the money up for the new stadium and has dipped his hand in his pocket for players and dare I say managers. If the club was owned/run by the 20,000 fans who turn up most weeks does that mean the cash would have to come from them or is it borrowed from a bank?

I'm not trying to be clever, I genuinely have never understood the concept and would be interested to know.

So the club would be owned by a supporters trust, which would be democratic. The supporters club then put the board in place who then run the club as per usual. The difference is that the employees of the club from kiosk staff to the board are accountable to the supporters club who in turn are accountable to the supporters. The supporters generally don't need to get involved aside from perhaps an annual meeting for senior positions for the supporters trust.

However the trust will normally own just over 50% of the club. The rest is offered up to individuals and businesses to financially back the club. Therefore SL and his cash could still be involved and because of his financial backing, would still be the most influential individual at the club. However as the supporters club own most of the club, they can veto any decision he makes.

In reality, little changes. But it provides security against dodgy owners and decisions that go against the fan interest like increasing ticket prices or in the case of Hull and Cardiff, name and colour changes. 

Every fan owned club will operate slightly differently but that is a common base model. Although generally fan owned clubs have lower prices, more home grown players and this does not necessarily come at the cost of success as three of the top five most successful teams in the Champions League/European Cup are fan owned (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich).

1 hour ago, RichardEdd said:

They are also useful to show to show final league position is all that matters - 

Days top of league 2

Doncaster - 129

Plymouth - 102

Pompy - 10 mins!

Something about that seems like a situation Rovers had a few years ago, at the other end of the table. :laughcont:

23 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

So the club would be owned by a supporters trust, which would be democratic. The supporters club then put the board in place who then run the club as per usual. The difference is that the employees of the club from kiosk staff to the board are accountable to the supporters club who in turn are accountable to the supporters. The supporters generally don't need to get involved aside from perhaps an annual meeting for senior positions for the supporters trust.

However the trust will normally own just over 50% of the club. The rest is offered up to individuals and businesses to financially back the club. Therefore SL and his cash could still be involved and because of his financial backing, would still be the most influential individual at the club. However as the supporters club own most of the club, they can veto any decision he makes.

In reality, little changes. But it provides security against dodgy owners and decisions that go against the fan interest like increasing ticket prices or in the case of Hull and Cardiff, name and colour changes. 

Every fan owned club will operate slightly differently but that is a common base model. Although generally fan owned clubs have lower prices, more home grown players and this does not necessarily come at the cost of success as three of the top five most successful teams in the Champions League/European Cup are fan owned (Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich).

Thanks for that.

I still have trouble in my head why a shareholder with say 49% would be expected to fund the club when the majority shareholder say 51% supporters trust don't.

I know Real Madrid have an election but from what I have heard in the press the president (I think thats the title) made the decisions even about buying players - that might be my take on the press articles.

Anyway for that to happen at city SL would have to either give or sell a significant chunk of his shares. Given his investment I assume it would be sell and then the supporters trust would have to find a significant amount of money to buy them.

Interestingly if the club is majority owned by the supporters trust would that make the trust liable for debt and liable to prosecution in the event of an accident?

Perhaps someone on here could start a post about alternative ownership models, eg how Bayern Munich works in practice.

I am ( at this stage anyway) not in favour or anything other than the current owner, SL, continuing to do the brilliant work I believe he is doing.

However, during our poor run of results last season one could have mistakenly thought this forum was in some way representative of Bristol City Supporters (which clearly it wasn't) because of the number of single comments actually criticising SL.

Therefore if an alternative (even hypothetical) ownership model could be described in a new thread, I would genuinely like to see what it could look like.

Archived