IGNORED

17th, 18th 19th 20th

cityred exile

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

The GJ promotion team had it in spades. How often did we nick a win through sheer determination and teamwork ? 

Yes fair point Major - done GJs side an injustice there

Think Cotts team (And 76) was unique in so much they seemed to be massive mates and spent a lot  of their time away from the Club together 

The point being , that to suggest anyone was needed to 'Bond' that squad is laughable - we may have been struggling results wise and lacked tactically at the time but lack of team spirit ... ?

LJ is extrordinarily lucky to be in a job. The saved us from relegation new start stuff is ok, however he was responsible for the shit fest which was September to March. 

He has a lot to prove for many and he knows it. Hopefully he does!

17 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

:nono: ....BOO!  cheap shot after a season of extremes and understandably high emotions ....

BUT .. We go with what we have again next season and we need to start with optimism, to start off on a downer will do no one any good except for helping rival clubs playing against us... Lets not start off doing half of their jobs for them.

Not a cheap shot - an accurate one, though...

On 14/05/2017 at 09:12, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't be absurd.

If there's one thing SC can never be criticised for it's the wonderful spirit he engendered in his squad. City were rightly famed for a unified and contented squad under him and it was clear for all to see.

Those friendships and a determination to give 100% for their respected manager and mentor remained intact even when the team was struggling badly for results. Many players were devastated when Cotts. left according to the father of one of the squad.

Lots of rumours of discontent, fallouts, and cliques under LJ, but whatever the truth of those, it's been obvious on a number of occasions that he has a very long way to go before even starting to compare his ability to bond his squad compared to that of SC.

Yep, even LJ himself admitted the dressing room had broken into groups.

On 14/05/2017 at 04:37, Kingswood Robin said:

I've got everything crossed as well but without Tammy's goals where are we? I know where we would have been last season and it concerns the hell out of me for the next. We got lucky with him last season and it's unlikely a loan signing will be as successful again. Goals will need to come from elsewhere, so an important transfer window indeed. I hope Taylor can score a few early in the season to get his confidence up.

No. You do not. Nobody does.

Take out Tammy from the squad and someone else would have been brought in, a different player would have started. We may have had goals from all over the team, rather than being reliant on one person.

We could conceivably done better if we didn't have Tammy, because we wouldn't have been set up with him in mind.

Equally we could have done worse without him, but whichever it would have been, NOBODY knows.

Without Tammy last season I'm fairly confident of where we would have been and I suspect many others are as well. We could have signed another 25 goal striker but how often do they come to us?

I can't see how we would have got more goals from all over the team, they had enough chances, but just couldn't score. Take Tammy out and somebody else might have been brought in (I wouldn't put it past us not to, we do have form for not sorting out positions that clearly need sorting out). We also seem to be favouring the loan signing for this key position, sometimes they are successful, more often than not they aren't. Tammy's loan was exceptional and I wouldn't want to bet on us being as lucky next time, or if we had chosen someone else last season.

We may yet sign a superstar but as things stand without him, where are we? Weak I think.

15 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

Without Tammy last season I'm fairly confident of where we would have been and I suspect many others are as well. We could have signed another 25 goal striker but how often do they come to us?

I can't see how we would have got more goals from all over the team, they had enough chances, but just couldn't score. Take Tammy out and somebody else might have been brought in (I wouldn't put it past us not to, we do have form for not sorting out positions that clearly need sorting out). We also seem to be favouring the loan signing for this key position, sometimes they are successful, more often than not they aren't. Tammy's loan was exceptional and I wouldn't want to bet on us being as lucky next time, or if we had chosen someone else last season.

We may yet sign a superstar but as things stand without him, where are we? Weak I think.

Like , so often in life , qualities are also our faults .

Taking nothing away from the hugely talented Tammy but without him in the team we may just have spread the goals around and had better results .

The first thing an opposition coach would have done when preparing to play against us last season would be to nullify Tammy's threat.

The first thing our coach did was to maximisé Tammy's game time.

So it was all about TA . The team would have had to be more intelligent in their approach to a game rather than just getting the ball him and then be more difficult to play against.

We shall see soon.

26 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I still wonder whether:

1. We'd have sold Kodjia if Tammy wasn't here.

2. Would Kodjia's head have been turned if Tammy hadn't take his position?

I thought we missed Kodjia at several points this season.  We gambled on Tammy to get us to the January window.

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Like , so often in life , qualities are also our faults .

Taking nothing away from the hugely talented Tammy but without him in the team we may just have spread the goals around and had better results .

The first thing an opposition coach would have done when preparing to play against us last season would be to nullify Tammy's threat.

The first thing our coach did was to maximisé Tammy's game time.

So it was all about TA . The team would have had to be more intelligent in their approach to a game rather than just getting the ball him and then be more difficult to play against.

We shall see soon.

What concerns me is that we simply don't have enough goals around the rest of the team. I think we'll need another striker, but we need to get some goal scoring midfielders that can chip in a bit more than at present.

Our current forward line feels a bit like that Gus Ceasar defence. Would you want to lead us into battle with that Major?

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still wonder whether:

1. We'd have sold Kodjia if Tammy wasn't here.

2. Would Kodjia's head have been turned if Tammy hadn't take his position?

I thought we missed Kodjia at several points this season.  We gambled on Tammy to get us to the January window.

I think we would have fought like mad to keep him, but I think is head was turned regardless of Tammy. Johnson has been talking about finding the next Tammy Abraham but I think we got very lucky with that particular loan signing. I'm not too keen on us relying on loans for such key positions. If they are available and are fantastic additions to the squad, go and get them, but I don't think we should develop a permanent reliance on them for the key positions.

On 14/05/2017 at 09:12, Nogbad the Bad said:

Don't be absurd.

If there's one thing SC can never be criticised for it's the wonderful spirit he engendered in his squad. City were rightly famed for a unified and contented squad under him and it was clear for all to see.

Those friendships and a determination to give 100% for their respected manager and mentor remained intact even when the team was struggling badly for results. Many players were devastated when Cotts. left according to the father of one of the squad.

Lots of rumours of discontent, fallouts, and cliques under LJ, but whatever the truth of those, it's been obvious on a number of occasions that he has a very long way to go before even starting to compare his ability to bond his squad compared to that of SC.

Take off the rose-tinted glasses for a second.

Yes he can be criticised, the spirit definitely was not there towards the end of his tenure and it seemed the players had stopped playing for him... Reading was shockingly bad, as was Burnley and Preston

There was discontent, fallouts, bust-ups etc... El-Abd, Fredericks but if you're blinkered towards the fact SC was untouchable then thats your problem... but then you probably believe he shouldn't have been sacked

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Yes he can be criticised, the spirit definitely was not there towards the end of his tenure and it seemed the players had stopped playing for him... Reading was shockingly bad, as was Burnley and Preston

There was discontent, fallouts, bust-ups etc... El-Abd, Fredericks but if you're blinkered towards the fact SC was untouchable then thats your problem... but then you probably believe he shouldn't have been sacked

Big Cotts fan here, but I accept he wasn't perfect.

i think sometimes you get bust ups between players and sometimes you get bust ups between players and manager / coaches.  Sometimes it clears the air, sometimes it festers, sometimes it comes to a head and one moves on (Fredericks in our case, Ranieri in Leicesters).  No exact science.  Some players get on with one another some just don't.

Just now, Davefevs said:

Big Cotts fan here, but I accept he wasn't perfect.

i think sometimes you get bust ups between players and sometimes you get bust ups between players and manager / coaches.  Sometimes it clears the air, sometimes it festers, sometimes it comes to a head and one moves on (Fredericks in our case, Ranieri in Leicesters).  No exact science.  Some players get on with one another some just don't.

Of course you do, that happens at every club. But my gripe with posts like that (not yours) is that if everything was that wonderful then why the struggle being rooted to the bottom of the league? Then why the sudden upturn under initially Pembo but then LJ? To me, everything wasn't as rosy as some make out otherwise there would've been some decent effort put in towards the end of SC's tenure. It must irk players when they are playing the same predictable tactics and getting well beaten and even then, the manager still doesn't learn

1 minute ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

There's absolutely no way the players stopped playing for SC. 

You seem to have far more of an SC problem than me, you post frenetically against him on just about every thread he's mentioned.

30 posts from you on a recent one, arguing with numerous posters about SC as per usual and trotting out the same old lines:

As much as I admire your stamina and determination to repeat your arguments, I'll give another endless debate with you about SC a miss, ta.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You seem to have far more of an SC problem than me, you post frenetically against him on just about every thread he's mentioned.

30 posts from you on a recent one, arguing with numerous posters about SC as per usual and trotting out the same old lines:

As much as I admire your stamina and determination to repeat your arguments, I'll give another endless debate with you about SC a miss, ta.

You mean facts? Sorry for putting facts into an argument... maybe I should live in your rose tinted world where SC was a god and he could no wrong, it was everyone else's fault right? 

I think I put a fair argument in, that we were rooted to the bottom and playing garbage football. It is you who can't help but fawn over the guy, gushing at everything he did and bringing up excuses. If you can't see that but happy to slag off LJ for the abysmal run and supposedly can't manage this football club at this level but SC supposedly can then your are completely deluded in your thinkig

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As for that particular thread, think it was petty and pathetic to target LJ just for having some fun with fans which they invited him to do, People accuse him of not engaging with fans and when he does he still gets hounded for it.

Thanks for the bunny boiler moment though, you had to count and find out how many posts I posted on that thread... bizarre :blink:

1 hour ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Thanks for the bunny boiler moment though, you had to count and find out how many posts I posted on that thread... bizarre :blink:

Count them?

It took 1 second to click on replies and there you were right at the top, Emperor Palpatine 30 posts.

Archived