IGNORED

It's a process...

It’sSmiittthhh

33 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Got way better things to do than go back thru old posts, maybe it wasn't even you - that's why I was asking the question

I just remember someone being blown away with how he presented and was full of praise for him

That was RR all right.

Numerous fawning posts attempting to get his own description of MA as 'Mr. C H A R I S M A' adopted by the forum as a whole.

It didn't catch on, of course, but full marks for the concerted effort. Not sure I've ever seen such an open display of apparent infatuation on OTIB.

14 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

A very confident bloke, that's for sure

Can't say I'm a massive fan of the buzzwords, but it's the in thing right now, so we'll have to live with that for a year or two, I guess

As for criticism of MA - doesn't he just work from the list that LJ gives him? He doesn't actually have a say in who we buy, does he?? Anyone know? He gets a list, makes a call, if there's interest he does some maths, makes an offer etc etc. I'm not sure where the blame (if there is any) for dealings lands with him

He perhaps puts the odd name forward, but basically don't think LJ is involved in any list making Woodsy.

The way I understand it a list is drawn up for players in every position by MA, using input from the scouts, and a sedentary team in the background at the club.

Half a dozen players, at least, for every position.

When LJ says he wants a player for a certain position MA whittles that list down: is he available, what's his temperament like, is he fit, affordable, within our wage capacity etc., and presents the best likely prospect back to LJ. 

It is at this stage LJ comes to the fore as it is his final decision whether he wants that player in his squad, or not.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He perhaps puts the odd name forward, but basically don't think LJ is involved in any list making Woodsy.

The way I understand it a list is drawn up for players in every position by MA, using input from the scouts, and a sedentary team in the background at the club.

When LJ says he wants a player for a certain position MA whittles that list down: is he available, what's his temperament like, is he fit, affordable, within our wage capacity etc., and presents the best likely prospect back to LJ. 

It is at this stage LJ comes to the fore as it is his final decision whether he wants that player in his squad, or not.

Thanks Noggers, that's a good description

My bad then, I obviously missed it when this was announced. Good to know that LJ has the final say, that's how it should always be

41 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

As for criticism of MA - doesn't he just work from the list that LJ gives him? He doesn't actually have a say in who we buy, does he?? Anyone know? He gets a list, makes a call, if there's interest he does some maths, makes an offer etc etc. I'm not sure where the blame (if there is any) for dealings lands with him

As far as I am aware, it's largely the other way around. The scouting network come up with a list, typically a set of players for each position we're looking for ranked from 1st choice down to however many we wish to go through. Mark Ashton then works his way through this list, and depending on who is available and who isn't, LJ is informed of the targets.

That's largely how the head coach role works nowadays. LJ is responsible for all the on-the-pitch aspects of the game, and in terms of transfers he might be shown the list from time to time and asked for his opinion. The Secret Footballer's first book goes into a fair bit of detail on how it works, and how a lot of the time the player a club signs might've been the 4th or 5th choice under a whole host of unavailable or expensive players.

10 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

As far as I am aware, it's largely the other way around. The scouting network come up with a list, typically a set of players for each position we're looking for ranked from 1st choice down to however many we wish to go through. Mark Ashton then works his way through this list, and depending on who is available and who isn't, LJ is informed of the targets.

That's largely how the head coach role works nowadays. LJ is responsible for all the on-the-pitch aspects of the game, and in terms of transfers he might be shown the list from time to time and asked for his opinion. The Secret Footballer's first book goes into a fair bit of detail on how it works, and how a lot of the time the player a club signs might've been the 4th or 5th choice under a whole host of unavailable or expensive players.

Thanks, Ender

TSF - are the books any good? Always been tempted but never got round to getting one

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My take exactly on how the transfer system works. 

Ashton does the negotiations with the players agents as well.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Correct Sir - much more recently than that , droning on about how good he was

He can't remember what drivel he said last week let alone a month ago

Obviously you disagree with my views on MA but imv he's doing a decent job as COO.

Why do you think he's so shite?  

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Thanks, Ender

TSF - are the books any good? Always been tempted but never got round to getting one

They're a bit lightweight, but they've got some incredible insight. They're the kind of books you can take with you to the beach and finish in one sitting.

I hear a lot of froth and await delivery of some substance with interest. 

I used to view people in 'high office' as somehow being 'superior beings'. The closer I got to the upper echelons the more I realised that most were ultra confident in their own ability, good oritors but seriously lacking in common sense. In basic terms, bullshitters.

All leaders of our country since the 70's fit into this category, more apparent today than ever.

Results matter, whether it be Club or Country. Neither are performing well at present.

19 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Perrow: is it true the transfer window is just a domino effect?

Ashton: I'd say it's more of a spider web. One transfer happens and the rest domino. 

Christ on a bike. 

Loads of bloody spiders around at the moment. My house is covered in dominos. 

On 25/05/2017 at 19:27, Neo said:

The worrying thing is Joe Bryan has had an outstanding season.

Jesus - if that was outstanding I hope we don't see an average one! 

The full quote there was "Joe Bryan has had an outstanding season, with regards to game time"

By all means complain about something said, but manipulating a quote in order to do so? Really?

19 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

The full quote there was "Joe Bryan has had an outstanding season, with regards to game time"

By all means complain about something said, but manipulating a quote in order to do so? Really?

What is MA actually trying to say? JB played most games throughout the season, didn't he? Is that all he's saying…? JB has played a lot…

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

How about his game time 'quadrupling in last 18 months' then james

Might be wrong but thought he was a near ever present under Cotts

15 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

How about his game time 'quadrupling in last 18 months' then james

Might be wrong but thought he was a near ever present under Cotts

No, that bit sounded wrong to me as well.

My post was only about the deliberately manipulated quote in order to have a go.

Archived