IGNORED

Exeter Chiefs

Leveller

11 minutes ago, RedM said:

Wasps finished top though, what an odd system of Champions and playoffs they have

The Championship is the same. Even the team that win it have to go into the play offs. 

Its all financially based of course. More revenue for the RFC. It's still a crap system but money is the motivation.

There was talk that the RFC might introduced similar relegation/promotion as in football but the second placed team played the bottom placed of the league above. 

That hasn't been introduced yet tho.

40 minutes ago, Robbored said:

The Championship is the same. Even the team that win it have to go into the play offs. 

Its all financially based of course. More revenue for the RFC. It's still a crap system but money is the motivation.

There was talk that the RFC might introduced similar relegation/promotion as in football but the second placed team played the bottom placed of the league above. 

This has been changed for next season?, the winner is promoted automatically.

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-union/news/19133/10788707/championship-play-offs-to-be-scrapped-with-top-team-promoted-automaticlaly

28 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Thanks EMB. I wasn't aware of that - probably because I'm not as enthusiastic about rugby as I am about footie and cricket,

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Thanks EMB. I wasn't aware of that - probably because I'm not as enthusiastic about rugby as I am about footie and cricket,

I knew about the new system, regular rugby goer, so you didn't need to tell me the Championship is the same, (but to be fair I wouldn't have a clue about cricket) They have plenty of cups to bring in revenue so I'd rather see an additional Cup involving the cup winners and the top placed team maybe, if they really need end of season revenue, better than this way of deciding Premiership Champions. If you finish top, you are Champions. Simple.

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Didn't they do this for the first season of the premier league (football) when the third placed team in the championship had to play the third from bottom in the premier league?

16 minutes ago, Midred said:

Didn't they do this for the first season of the premier league (football) when the third placed team in the championship had to play the third from bottom in the premier league?

Now that you've raised that I have a vague recollection that they did but I'm not 100% sure.

We played Blades the year we lost to Walsall when they were third bottom in what is now the championship and we were in the division below. It got scrapped fairly soon afterwards largely as a result of that tie as there was an incredible amount of trouble in Sheffield after we sent them down - passions are a lot higher if you`ve just been relegated rather than only failed to go up I suppose.

20 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Absolutely ridiculous. I thought that privately educated rugger buggers would come up with something not quite as witless!

While it seems odd for the top club not to get automatic promotion, it's really no less logical than the football system where the sixth place club can get promoted ahead of the third. Any playoff system is unfair - it's not just about money though, it's about making the top half of the table interesting for longer during the season.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

While it seems odd for the top club not to get automatic promotion, it's really no less logical than the football system where the sixth place club can get promoted ahead of the third. Any playoff system is unfair - it's not just about money though, it's about making the top half of the table interesting for longer during the season.

They can`t get promoted ahead of the 1st placed club....that is my point. Winning a league should be just that, or you may as well have a knockout cup competition.

Rugby doesn't work with huge money like football. The playoffs are difficult to defend from a sporting point of view but as Leveller says they have made the season interesting for longer and bring in additional revenue.

Interestingly, none of the three sides that topped the PRO12, TOP14 and Premiership went on to win the playoffs this season.

Archived