IGNORED

John Motson @ Ashton Gate

E.G.Red

Listening to Geoff Twentyman tonight I hear John Motson is at Ashton Gate on 30th June for an event organised by Bristol rotary and will be auctioning his original sheepskin coat. Should be an interesting evening .www.rotarybristol.org

11 hours ago, Super said:

Legend.

About 40 years ago he use to play football on a regular basis for East Barnet Old Grammarians 7th or 8th eleven- lets just say not the most talented bunch.

Motty use to "play" in midfield and would spend the whole game with his fist close up to his mouth and give literally a running commentary into an imaginery microphone for the duration of the match.

Lovely bloke and lives and breathes football.

37 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Am I the only one that doesn't think much of him (as a commentator)?

He is knowledgeable but it's like listening to an over enthusiastic teenager who believes everything he's read.

I think the enthusiasm makes him likeable.

Different sport, but IMO one of the very best commentators to listen to was Murray Walker. He often got things wrong and tripped himself up, but it was just pure passion. Sometimes you would ve able to visualise things very clearly from his radio commentary (yes, I know that is the point) but then a few seconds later you had no idea, but would probably be having a chuckle at his mistake. 

It's not perfect commentary and there are others who could commentate just as clearly with less mistakes, but it simply wasn't as good to listen to.

Edit- here is just some of the nonsense Walker would come out with. And I'd still rather have him commentating on races than any of the current lot.

http://www.azquotes.com/author/15207-Murray_Walker

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Different sport, but IMO one of the very best commentators to listen to was Murray Walker. He often got things wrong and tripped himself up, but it was just pure passion. Sometimes you would ve able to visualise things very clearly from his radio commentary (yes, I know that is the point) but then a few seconds later you had no idea, but would probably be having a chuckle at his mistake. 

It's not perfect commentary and there are others who could commentate just as clearly with less mistakes, but it simply wasn't as good to listen to.

Edit- here is just some of the nonsense Walker would come out with. And I'd still rather have him commentating on races than any of the current lot.

I don't feel swayed by enthusiasm - but Murray Walker is very likeable.

I could never understand David Coleman's big reputation either. He covered a lot of sports but stumbled a lot and was often embarrassingly bad - hence the "Colemanballs" column in Private Eye.

9 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

A bit like the commentators on the rowing and cycling at the Olympics. The rowing guy sounds like he is about to burst…

2 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

Hmm, He's not a patch on the silver tongued Andy Townsend though, could listen to AT all day long, now that's what I call a pundit.. can't wait for him to take up full commentaries ..  :dance:

( N :liar:T! )

was he the highlights of the World Cup, one year? 

(Baddiel & Skinner)

14 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

The list of his mistakes is fantastic. I think he made so many slips is because of the spreed at which he spoke. His brain couldn't keep up with his thoughts. Also, the number of words spoken per minute was much faster than a standard commentator, so the ratio of mistakes to words spoken is probably similar. 

Archived