IGNORED

Your unsung hero

Bristol Rob

In a team where players like Cheesley, Gow, Richie, Hunter, Cormack et al attracted the headlines I always thought that Trevor Tainton was often overlooked and underrated.

A loyal, long serving player who played against the very best and never let the team down.

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

In a team where players like Cheesley, Gow, Richie, Hunter, Cormack et al attracted the headlines I always thought that Trevor Tainton was often overlooked and underrated.

A loyal, long serving player who played against the very best and never let the team down.

Seconded.

1 hour ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Ivan Sproule.

******* loved it when this guy bombed down the wing he was a great impact player and he scored one of the best individual goals a city player has scored against Leicester. 

I'll always remember the Southampton goal when their keeper had come up for a corner and he just ran and ran and ran....

Just now, JBFC II said:

I'll always remember the Southampton goal when their keeper had come up for a corner and he just ran and ran and ran hah

There was one goal i remember where he kept the ball and had a couple of opportunities to shoot but decided to beat the next man. After he did this twice he was in a really tight angle but somehow managed to beat the keeper.

The groundsman and staff who keep the pitch looking so good despite football and rugby on it.  Anyone who remembers the brown swamp that was the ground in ?1993/94 will know that this doesn't just happen by chance.

A quick Google reveals the head groundsman is Dan Sparks. Well done Dan and team.

https://mobile.twitter.com/danielgsparks?lang=en

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Keith Waugh ,' Sooty ' Mr Dependable between the sticks , overshone by the similarly named Keith Walsh ' Elvis ' or perhaps it was the same player ? style Tony Rougier and his ' brother ' Anthony .

I preferred Keith Welch as a rival to Keith Waugh to be fair....

3 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Ivan Sproule.

******* loved it when this guy bombed down the wing he was a great impact player and he scored one of the best individual goals a city player has scored against Leicester. 

Agree about the goal against Leicester.

His goal was then followed up by a 30 yard thunderbolt from Skuse - you would struggle to see 2 such good goals in a single game.

22 minutes ago, Float'n Over said:

Tainton again for me.

Did he not turn down a big club approach ?

I vaguely remember Liverpool making a bid (60k ish?) but City turned it down  

20 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Dave Smith.

He must have been the fastest City player since the 60s. He played for Gillingham against City the season before he signed for us. Went on a lightning run down the wing and into the penalty area, only to be brought down. Everyone thought it was a certain penalty except one person - the ref. That day I was on a freeby hospitality day and, not surprisingly, had a few drinks. (No prawn sandwiches in those days). Post match in the lounge with the players (that doesn't happen any more) I started talking to some chap about the incident. I said it was a penalty and the ref must be blind. This was lucky as the chap introduced himself as Dave Smith! Very nice chap 

Archived