IGNORED

The race for the Premier League

Flagon

I can't remember now which teams in the current Championship have not been in the Premier League? 

Who do you feel is most likely to get there first out of those teams?

I think despite a really disappointing first two seasons back after our brilliant promotion season we are close to having right infrastructure to make a go of not just getting there but building on it once there. I would be surprised if we made it this coming season but would be equally surprised if we falter again. I'm anticipating a more comfortable ride this season, maybe with some moments of...."could we actually do this?"

Looking at the list of teams, I think the 'have nots' are:

Bristol City

Brentford 

Burton Albion

Millwall

Preston

Out of those there's no doubt we are the best equipped to make it happen.

But the gap seems to be widening year on year between those who have been in the PL in recent seasons and those who haven't. 

I'd take a comfortable mid table, not looking over our shoulder nervously all season. Genuine consolidation. 

Then a big push in the subsequent 2 or 3 seasons - like Brighton - to build on it. 

10 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bristol City

Brentford 

Burton Albion

Millwall

Preston

But the gap seems to be widening year on year between those who have been in the PL in recent seasons and those who haven't. 

Yeah this my worry. The money is astronomical. Thankfully I do think we are getting closer as a club overall though to get there.

3 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Bristol City

Brentford 

Burton Albion

Millwall

Preston

I'd take a comfortable mid table, not looking over our shoulder nervously all season. Genuine consolidation. 

Then a big push in the subsequent 2 or 3 seasons - like Brighton - to build on it. 

'best equipped' we may be, but I'd have money on Brentford and Preston doing it before us, as things stand

4 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

'best equipped' we may be, but I'd have money on Brentford and Preston doing it before us, as things stand

I admire the way PNE have adapted but can't see them having the bite to push on into top six. Certainly wouldn't mind being proven wrong though, proper good club.

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I admire the way PNE have adapted but can't see them having the bite to push on into top six. Certainly wouldn't mind being proven wrong though, proper good club.

Two well run clubs, punching above their weight

Oh, how I wish that could be us!

7 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

To be fair I don't think we're as badly run as people like to suggest. We don't get things right all the time but I think there's a lot of good work done that doesn't get picked up on. 

I don't think we really do any more wrong than the majority of 'smaller' clubs trying to compete against the financial clout of the PL casualties. 

1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To be fair I don't think we're as badly run as people like to suggest. We don't get things right all the time but I think there's a lot of good work done that doesn't get picked up on. 

I don't think we really do any more wrong than the majority of 'smaller' clubs trying to compete against the financial clout of the PL casualties. 

Doesn't read well - I wasn't saying I thought we were badly run at all, because I don't think we are

More the punching above the weight part I'd like to improve on!

12 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

much better then 4 years ago thats for sure

This is where I disagree with some of you on here. I don't think we're any closer to the Premier League than we were ten years ago. We've improved a lot since then, but so has everyone else, and there are plenty of sides above us that deserve it over us. 

My main criticism of the club is that we're not earning enough to spend what we need to succeed. It shows when one of the most common quotes in the transfer thread on this forum is "their wages are too high".

Out of the list of clubs that haven't made it to the Premier League, I think Millwall will ultimately overtake us unless our fortunes improve in the short term.

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Doesn't read well - I wasn't saying I thought we were badly run at all, because I don't think we are

More the punching above the weight part I'd like to improve on!

Putting an extremely positive slant on things, we technically are.

Last summer I worked out our average position through our entire history. The result was (roughly) the 42nd best in the country, or 22nd in the Championship. So technically we are (just barely) punching above our weight in that we have finished above our historical average for the last 2 seasons.

Of course, I'd prefer if we were doing even better!

5 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Putting an extremely positive slant on things, we technically are.

Last summer I worked out our average position through our entire history. The result was (roughly) the 42nd best in the country, or 22nd in the Championship. So technically we are (just barely) punching above our weight in that we have finished above our historical average for the last 2 seasons.

Of course, I'd prefer if we were doing even better!

Ha - well, that's me put right then!

What is one step up from 'punching above your weight'? Because that is my new target

Doesn't surprise me, in the big scheme of things I would say we are at best bottom half Championship, at worst, bottom third. 22nd sounds like all of our nightmares though....

And I like positive slants, more of those, please!

4 hours ago, EnderMB said:

This is where I disagree with some of you on here. I don't think we're any closer to the Premier League than we were ten years ago. We've improved a lot since then, but so has everyone else, and there are plenty of sides above us that deserve it over us. 

My main criticism of the club is that we're not earning enough to spend what we need to succeed. It shows when one of the most common quotes in the transfer thread on this forum is "their wages are too high".

Out of the list of clubs that haven't made it to the Premier League, I think Millwall will ultimately overtake us unless our fortunes improve in the short term.

How will millwall overtake us, they don't get the crowds and have no where near as good facilities as us, they don't have the backing to improve it ether

14 hours ago, Monkeh said:

How will millwall overtake us, they don't get the crowds and have no where near as good facilities as us, they don't have the backing to improve it ether

We're a long way from being considered a top Championship team, while Millwall are a London side and are more attractive to outside investment. All it takes is one season of shit, and our attendances to plummet in League 1, and we're no better than them.

Our facilities are better right now, but our board has a history of mismanagement and fighting relegation. They gambled our Championship future by not backing Cotterill, and by backing LJ when many clubs wouldn't have. Whether it was the right or wrong decision is all in hindsight, but we'll need to see an improvement this season if we're to remain at this level.

Getting to the Premier League still seems quite a distant dream after flirting with relegation for the past two seasons. In our favour we have better facilities at AG and improved attendances,  so there is the sense that something is building - we just need that sense of progression on the pitch. A decent mid-table finish with an outside chance of sneaking into the play-offs (a bit like the season Preston have just had), or at least not battling against the drop, would certainly be a move in the right direction.

6 hours ago, EnderMB said:

We're a long way from being considered a top Championship team, while Millwall are a London side and are more attractive to outside investment. All it takes is one season of shit, and our attendances to plummet in League 1, and we're no better than them.

Our facilities are better right now, but our board has a history of mismanagement and fighting relegation. They gambled our Championship future by not backing Cotterill, and by backing LJ when many clubs wouldn't have. Whether it was the right or wrong decision is all in hindsight, but we'll need to see an improvement this season if we're to remain at this level.

Well we survived for two seasons in a row so the decision was a correct decision. 

This is an interesting conversation at the moment for us Millwall fans.

The club are trying to develop some of the land we currently lease from Lewisham Borough council.

They (LBC) have looked to sell it to a developer.

Either way, it will change the outlook of the club massively. Now, MFC have made a bit of a song and dance about it forcing us to move if we lose our car park and community centre. However, this is probably power playing.

If Millwall get to develop the land it will put us in a very stronge position financially. 

If the area is redeveloped by a property developer that puts Millwall FC bang in the middle of a regenerated area of inner city London.

I could see us being an attractive proposition to investors then - a kind of mini Chelsea. Lest us not forget that Chelsea had an awful rep in the 80s and crowds had dropped to 8,000 - before you sneer too much. You can avtually see the Shard, Canary Wharf & the O2 from the ground - having a inner city football club to build up might be an attractive play thing for a foreign billionaire.

Especially as the ground is only 4 mins from the huge hub that is London Bridge, has an overground station literally on top of the ground & will have a new tube stop outside the Cold Blow Lane End as part of the regen. The ground is within easy commuting of circa 4 million people.

Before the docks closed Millwall used to get gates of 30-45,000 for 2nd & 3rd division football - so the area can support a big club. In fact the London boroughs of Southwark and Lewisham, which the ground stradles, would be some of the biggest cities in the UK if seperate from London.

Perhaps that's all pie in the sky though & Im being silly - which I dont mind, as I quite like us being that knock about club from just off the Old Kent Road anyway.

8 hours ago, Piccolo said:

This is an interesting conversation at the moment for us Millwall fans.

The club are trying to develop some of the land we currently lease from Lewisham Borough council.

They (LBC) have looked to sell it to a developer.

Either way, it will change the outlook of the club massively. Now, MFC have made a bit of a song and dance about it forcing us to move if we lose our car park and community centre. However, this is probably power playing.

If Millwall get to develop the land it will put us in a very stronge position financially. 

If the area is redeveloped by a property developer that puts Millwall FC bang in the middle of a regenerated area of inner city London.

I could see us being an attractive proposition to investors then - a kind of mini Chelsea. Lest us not forget that Chelsea had an awful rep in the 80s and crowds had dropped to 8,000 - before you sneer too much. You can avtually see the Shard, Canary Wharf & the O2 from the ground - having a inner city football club to build up might be an attractive play thing for a foreign billionaire.

Especially as the ground is only 4 mins from the huge hub that is London Bridge, has an overground station literally on top of the ground & will have a new tube stop outside the Cold Blow Lane End as part of the regen. The ground is within easy commuting of circa 4 million people.

Before the docks closed Millwall used to get gates of 30-45,000 for 2nd & 3rd division football - so the area can support a big club. In fact the London boroughs of Southwark and Lewisham, which the ground stradles, would be some of the biggest cities in the UK if seperate from London.

Perhaps that's all pie in the sky though & Im being silly - which I dont mind, as I quite like us being that knock about club from just off the Old Kent Road anyway.

Welcome aboard, and back to the Championship, and thanks for an interesting post.

I have been following Barney Ronay's excellent coverage in the Guardian of the shady dealings going on that have threatened your club. Best of luck in winning the fight.

Archived