IGNORED

Home Friendly

Ashton_Red

58 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Im not anti it at all.

But in a case of Willem or Twente, I would rather see City face Twente, given they have a bigger stature in football.

Well that's your opinion and that's fine. Not that it matters, but if you did a straw poll of people at a City game about who they'd rather face - I think Willem would win. There is a genuine interest in the link between the two sides, albeit perhaps from a slightly different sizeable demographic than on this forum..

My point isn't about Willem OR Twente, either is a good friendly, but why not make Willem happen too? It would be doable and they are clearly keen. There's desire to see the game happen from supporters and they're a good standard. The barriers are coming from our side and have done for years - why?

Obviously a lot of views on this but, is anyone able to confirm that City didn't ask Willam for a friendly (I'm sure it was raised when Dave L was FLO) and Willam turned down the opportunity?

Or does this not fit in with pitchfork mentality of some who just want to have a go at the club?

Personally, I don't much care one way or the other, if the manager thinks the opposition will provide a suitable challenge that the players can learn from then I'm happy.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Obviously a lot of views on this but, is anyone able to confirm that City didn't ask Willam for a friendly (I'm sure it was raised when Dave L was FLO) and Willam turned down the opportunity?

Or does this not fit in with pitchfork mentality of some who just want to have a go at the club?

Personally, I don't much care one way or the other, if the manager thinks the opposition will provide a suitable challenge that the players can learn from then I'm happy.

I remember the @willem ii poster on here saying that it was us that turned it down/weren't pushing for it to happen. Could be wrong on that though. Some years back there was contact between the two clubs I think, but nothing came of it..

4 minutes ago, HitchinRed said:

I think playing Twente will be better preparation for new season than playing Willem, and surely this should the priority.

This said, I agree that a friendly against Willem would be a fantastic occasion, if it could be arranged at the right time.

Twente (7th) finished 6 places above Willem II (13th) in the Eredivisie with 9 more points.

Not a huge difference between the strength of opposition for City going by that.

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Its Willem not William. the supporters trust checked and it was not on the radar. maybe it then came on the radar in the last two weeks?? then went back off again. the thing is when you go over to Tilburg its obvious fans and directors want to do something and with City its maybe next year then the next years comes and still nothing is heard of any intent. street events and things like a kids tournament could be easily done fitting in with citys pillars with a bit of enthusiasm and time only the enthusiasm is not there to do it from BCFC.

4 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

Im not anti it at all.

But in a case of Willem or Twente, I would rather see City face Twente, given they have a bigger stature in football.

chucking meaningless about is coming across as anti and negative. what is wrong with a friendly against v Willem II??? I don't go to friendlies or on tours but there are some very good points being made  in Nogbads the bads post and others which people are avoiding and not even attempting to argue against.

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

chucking meaningless about is coming across as anti and negative. what is wrong with a friendly against v Willem II??? I don't go to friendlies or on tours but there are some very good points being made  in Nogbads the reds post and others which people are avoiding and not even attempting to argue against.

I have described all friendlies as a meaningless game, that is what they are, just a run about to get fitness up.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I have described all friendlies as a meaningless game, that is what they are, just a run about to get fitness up.

You are not answering any of the points being made because what is being put forward goes beyond a run out doesnt it? Completely ignoring that and telling people a match v Willem II would be meaningless when clearly it would be a special event for some fans is anti the idea.

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure there has been a nationwide campaign about the cost of away tickets.

Didn't see the point of putting demands into a post. an idea is out there regarding Willem II. debate it. got an idea with backing that is better and positive?

17 hours ago, cynic said:

Couldn't give a toss about Willem or Twente (know fk all about either really) but its a testing home game before kicking off the season which is the main point of it.

Its naive to think that any professional football club would arrange an important pre-season game based upon a minority of fans preference of opposition.

Same standard actually.

Would a friendly between us and Willem really be a "special occasion"?

There would be what.. 200/300 fans from each side who actually have some sort of friendship. There is no link between the 2 clubs. Just a friendship amongst a minority group of supporters. That is all very nice and the visits to Tilburg sound like good fun, but there is absolutely no reason for either club to forge official links to each other, based on a small percentage of supporters who like to meet up for a piss up now and again. 

Just carry on doing what you are doing, enjoy your visits, but let's not pretend it's got anything to do with any sort of link between the clubs, because there isn't one. 

No need for a friendly against them, but if there ever is one, I hope that it's based on a bit more than a few hundred "lads" wanting to have a piss up together. 

Just now, Cowshed said:

Are you saying a kids football tournament and street events should not interest Bristol Sport, BCFC, the Community trust and others?

No. Where did I say that..?

Are you saying that we should only consider such plans for a meaningless friendly against a Dutch team that only a couple of hundred people could actually care less about..?

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Are you saying that we should only consider such plans for a meaningless

Fella, as a fans rep you are being disrespectful to your fellow fans. Piss this, piss that, meaningless ...  Some of the picture being painted by fans has to have some merit to Bristol Sport, BCFC, the Community trust and others?

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Are you saying that we should only consider such plans for a meaningless friendly against a Dutch team that only a couple of hundred people could actually care less about..?

My opinion is that aside from genuinely massive clubs like United, Real Madrid, Barcelona etc, most people don't really care about pre-season friendlies.

We don't know exactly how many people care about a friendly with Willem either, but clearly a number of people do. Willem aren't a bad team, it's relatively close, lots of potential footballing and commercial ties to be made - why not just do it? It's not often that people care about a pre season friendly with a realistic side that won't charge us (and by proxy us fans) a huge amount for showing up  - even if it's just 2-300 it's still worth doing. That number could grow and become a genuine partnership between the two clubs where we share scouting knowledge, arrange youth tournaments and even do send players on loan.

It's not a question of Twente or Willem (why not do both?) - but i'm confident a game against Willem would get a bigger attendance. Just because it's probably >600 that have gone over to Tilburg since 08, in terms of knowledge about the existing 'friendship', i'm confident that thousands of our fans know about it and would attend if prices were reasonable.

I'd be interested to know why it's never happened in almost a decade, I suspect it's possible the club associate the ties between the clubs as having trouble makers involved. (weren't Willem fans alleged to be involved in that incident with Millwall on David James' debut?)

Would like to see it happen, from what i've seen - I think a game over in Tilburg would be a better occasion than at AG.

Just now, Cowshed said:

Fella, as a fans rep you are being disrespectful to your fellow fans. Piss this, piss that, meaningless ...  Some of the picture being painted by fans has to have some merit to Bristol Sport, BCFC, the Community trust and others?

Disrespectful to fellow fans..?

Tell me, how many fans from each side actively participate in this mutual affection of the other team..? A couple of hundred, I'd suggest. 

Mate you really telling me that the basis of gatherings is not predominantly based around drinking (and mutual love of a scrap and a few lines of Coke, in many cases) 

It's not the basis on an official club link or good reason to arrange a friendly that the vast majority of the fan base would be completely disinterested in. 

I'm not saying don't play Willem, I'm just saying there is no reason to play them. 

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Disrespectful to fellow fans..?

Tell me, how many fans from each side actively participate in this mutual affection of the other team..? A couple of hundred, I'd suggest. 

Mate you really telling me that the basis of gatherings is not predominantly based around drinking (and mutual love of a scrap and a few lines of Coke, in many cases) 

It's not the basis on an official club link or good reason to arrange a friendly that the vast majority of the fan base would be completely disinterested in. 

I'm not saying don't play Willem, I'm just saying there is no reason to play them. 

As somebody who does not do drugs and does not drink alcohol I have already answered parts of your post earlier.

Yes I think your astonishing views are disrespectful to fellow fans.

1 minute ago, Cowshed said:

As somebody who does not do drugs and does not drink alcohol I have already answered parts of your post earlier.

Yes I think your astonishing views are disrespectful to fellow fans.

Fair enough. You are entitled to your opinion. 

I'm not what I'd do "astonishing" about stating that there is no official link between the 2 clubs, because there isn't one!

If a group of supporters enjoy going over to Tilburg now and again, that's great. It's not something that the club need to get involved in and in all fairness, probably spoil. 

On 24/06/2017 at 13:04, Phileas Fogg said:

I remember the @willem ii poster on here saying that it was us that turned it down/weren't pushing for it to happen. Could be wrong on that though. Some years back there was contact between the two clubs I think, but nothing came of it..

So apart from a random poster on here. 

And everyone saying it is "obvious" their directors want it....

Why is there this massive belief that they are desperate to play us in a friendly? What has their club done to indicate from a sporting (not fan social) basis they are even interested?

I just have never seen anything shared publically on this so from someone completely indifferent to whoever we play, all these comments on how our board are ruining their preseason by ignoring the masses... it just comes across as whining that people haven't got their way.

Am I wrong?

2 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Why is there this massive belief that they are desperate to play us in a friendly? What has their club done to indicate from a sporting (not fan social) basis they are even interested?

I've never travelled over there or been involved but there are others who will know the answer to this for certain. 

I just have never seen anything shared publically on this so from someone completely indifferent to whoever we play, all these comments on how our board are ruining their preseason by ignoring the masses... it just comes across as whining that people haven't got their way.

Don't think people are accusing the board of 'ruining' anything - but every year the question comes around as to why we haven't arranged it when clearly there's fan interest from both sides. Seems to make sense to link up (officially or unofficially) with a top division dutch club if it's a possibility, there's surely things we can learn from each other.

Am I wrong?

You can't be 'wrong' because it's just your opinion - same as anyone else's on this thread.

4 minutes ago, tommy_b said:

Am I wrong?

Yes you are totally wrong. There is similar on other threads. the supporters trust can confirm that people at BCFC have showed some interest in the past. what is being posted is not being made up. there is nothing on this thread to say that pre season has been ruined is there? nobody has said anything about masses have they? think ideas around doing something beyond just another game are positive not whining aren't they?  

• Admin
33 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

To be honest the link is between two sets of "lads" There actually isn't a reason to play a friendly match because that particular bond will always be there.

Interesting point

But the fact that families with children have gone over to Tilburg and vice versa back over here, is a point you miss

This isn't personal against you, but this part of the problem that people that looking in at the link just assume it is a group of lads.

Archived