IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

38 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Good piece, with some interesting suggestions about what the management think of recent events, that go against some of the accusations being made by others:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/eng-vs-aus-2nd-ashes-test-freedom-leads-to-freefall-as-england-batters-abdicate-responsibility-1385153

Stokes said this team isn’t result focused and if we lose the ashes “oh well”.  I think that shows his mindset. If he is saying that but doesn’t believe it then he’s naive if he thinks that’s a good thing to say  

Edited by And Its Smith

5 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

How many runs will the Aussies want to be ahead? Doesnt look like any rain for the fonal two days. Will they bat England completely out or give them something to chase?

450 minimum, depending on how quickly they get there. Lyon being out and the fact England have chased down some big totals in the last year or so probably adds a few more to their intended target.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

From my point, I was never as high on Bazball as others seemed to be but then I loved test cricket anyway. 3 runs an over is fine for me.  England were 1-0 up against NZ and gambled defeat for victory in a two test series. That doesn’t make sense to me and I was completely pissed off by it. Especially when it then transpired that part of the reason was they could fit in an extra game of golf before they flew home.  Personally I don’t get how it’s exciting to gamble a series needlessly when they could have easily have just drawn the game.  If a football manager chucked on a striker when winning with ten mins left there would be uproar if it went wrong. I see no difference.  I was very worried that Bazball batting would result in what we are now seeing as the Aussies are so much better than the opposition we have beaten in the last year.  Finally, I think a persons reaction is a lot down to how much they care about the result.  For me, England winning the Ashes is more important than anything else in the sporting world so naturally I am going to care more about winning than how we win.  When it comes to City I would rather be entertained than watch dire 1-0 wins. 

I’ve no issue with the approach in NZ or anywhere else up until this Test to be honest. The NZ ‘tour’ was not part of the Test championship and compared to the last NZ tour the entertainment value was 100x better (you’ll remember Root bowling Archer in to the ground at Mount Maunganui, BJ Watling scoring 193929 runs and Denly dropping the easiest catch at Hamilton).

The Ashes though as you say is the most important and matters - I’m all for the attacking approach but surely the attacking thing to do when you are 180-1 against Aus is just duck and weave for 30 mins, they’ll get bored/tired and our dominance continues. Still room for a bit of old fashioned common sense surely!

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

Stokes said this team isn’t result focused and if we lose the ashes “oh well”.  I think that shows his mindset. If he is saying that but doesn’t believe it then he’s naive if he thinks that’s a good thing to say  

Wow.

If this is what he genuinely feels then he's sadly the wrong choice.

His body language yesterday certainly wasn't saying "oh well".

I've nothing against a bit of aggression/being attack minded - although the ability to know when to throttle back is key to it's very success.

Edited by Son of Fred
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, tin said:

Sorry to be a realist, but chasing 378 down against an India attack last year will be vastly different to chasing similar against Starc, Hazelwood and Cummins.  I just can’t see it, especially with our long tail. 

Yep. They already have enough.

• Admin
3 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I hope Lyon doesn’t get hurt here with this short stuff being bowled 

2 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I thought they said he wasn`t going to bat? A bit rash from the Aussies if he does get hurt.

Maybe just a little bump or two to guarantee his series is overyLmao Laughing GIF by G2 Esports