IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

59 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Less said about the batting the better…

However, we’ve bowled well so far today but just not finding the nicks at the moment.

Frustrating.

As the Bristol City fan Simon Mann just said on TMS, if we were leading by 80 odd the Aussies would be nicking everything but when you’ve had a disastrous morning and are trailing by a 100 they’re playing and missing all these good balls.

• Like 1

I know people have been predicting Jimmy’s imminent retirement for years but this really does feel like we’re seeing his final few weeks as an England player.

Conditions couldn’t really be much better and even though he’s bowled ok he’s still wicket less.

Has he got one more fivefer in him first though? 

26 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

I know people have been predicting Jimmy’s imminent retirement for years but this really does feel like we’re seeing his final few weeks as an England player.

Conditions couldn’t really be much better and even though he’s bowled ok he’s still wicket less.

Has he got one more fivefer in him first though? 

I didn't want to post it, but with Wood available for the next Test, Jimmy would be the one to drop out for me.

2 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I didn't want to post it, but with Wood available for the next Test, Jimmy would be the one to drop out for me.

I think the whole selection of the bowlers is a big discussion. Robinson has bowled slowly - is he injured? Jimmy is looking his age, but can we rely on Mark Wood to bowl the number of overs he needs, particularly as Stokes isn't contributing much.

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

I think the whole selection of the bowlers is a big discussion. Robinson has bowled slowly - is he injured? Jimmy is looking his age, but can we rely on Mark Wood to bowl the number of overs he needs, particularly as Stokes isn't contributing much.

Read an article that said the reason they held Wood back, was to give him chance to build up to manage the next few Tests. So hopefully he will be able to cope.
Is Wokes fit ?
There's another question over the spinner. Does Moheen come back in ? He looked good and would boost the batting too, but if his finger tears again he could be a liability. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Read an article that said the reason they held Wood back, was to give him chance to build up to manage the next few Tests. So hopefully he will be able to cope.
Is Wokes fit ?
There's another question over the spinner. Does Moheen come back in ? He looked good and would boost the batting too, but if his finger tears again he could be a liability. 

Woakes was a sub fielder so guessing he's fit. Trouble is he is no different from the others. England need more pace.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

Frankly Broad deserves not getting the LBW review for the amount of shit ones he demands 

2 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I find it hard to criticise Broad. Without him we would be a bit ******

I don't think Broad is any worse than most bowlers, always think it's out. That's why you need the keeper to be vocal and TBF Stokes has been pretty good with his choices overall. They do seem to work as a team to decide.

27 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Yeah we’re not blessed with fast bowlers in their prime and injury free but I’m a big fan of Wood. If only he could have had a bowl at Durham recently to get some overs in him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

TMS is brilliant. Especially the random stats they come out with. Really enjoy listening to it. 

The one saving grace of the first Test, was when I put the radio on on and synced it with the tv. Much better and no KP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I'm hoping for 2 days of rain. If we could come out of Lords with a draw it'd be a great result and give a chance to regroup. 

Not much time to regroup when the third Test starts at Headingley four days after this one’s due to end. 

18 hours ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Its massively frustrating. Australia would have got tired and bored of bouncers, if England had not taken the bait. All they had to do was play sensibly for about a dozen or so overs. 

I've been looking forward to this Ashes for ages - we have just been incredibly misguided.

Interesting the Bazball enthusiasts are quiet today

Being positive?? - great ?

But you have to know when to put another hat on & hunker down.

I'll bet Geoffrey is having kittens!!?

Gung ho brainless leadership would be how I'd describe our ashes so far.

Never has the "build them up to knock them down" mentality that absolutely infests British (and particularly English) sports media been so starkly illustrated as the last couple of weeks.

That doesn't mean that there isn't some merit in what's being said, or that criticism isn't justified. But I get the distinct impression that some have been poised and waiting for months, absolutely itching to stick the boot in as soon as things go wrong. And that doesn't just apply to the media either.

• Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Never has the "build them up to knock them down" mentality that absolutely infests British (and particularly English) sports media been so starkly illustrated as the last couple of weeks.

That doesn't mean that there isn't some merit in what's being said, or that criticism isn't justified. But I get the distinct impression that some have been poised and waiting for months, absolutely itching to stick the boot in as soon as things go wrong. And that doesn't just apply to the media either.

From my point, I was never as high on Bazball as others seemed to be but then I loved test cricket anyway. 3 runs an over is fine for me.  England were 1-0 up against NZ and gambled defeat for victory in a two test series. That doesn’t make sense to me and I was completely pissed off by it. Especially when it then transpired that part of the reason was they could fit in an extra game of golf before they flew home.  Personally I don’t get how it’s exciting to gamble a series needlessly when they could have easily have just drawn the game.  If a football manager chucked on a striker when winning with ten mins left there would be uproar if it went wrong. I see no difference.  I was very worried that Bazball batting would result in what we are now seeing as the Aussies are so much better than the opposition we have beaten in the last year.  Finally, I think a persons reaction is a lot down to how much they care about the result.  For me, England winning the Ashes is more important than anything else in the sporting world so naturally I am going to care more about winning than how we win.  When it comes to City I would rather be entertained than watch dire 1-0 wins.