IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

26 minutes ago, TomF said:

Love all the interviews where they’re saying ‘hopefully lots of kids watching inspired to play’

Yeah they can spend the holidays watching a format nobody else in world plays, that has no geographical identity and is sponsored by ******* crisps. 

Sadly true. 

Only 25 out of the 343 Ashes Tests played before this series ended with a winning margin of three wickets or fewer/50 runs or fewer.

That’s a remarkable stat when you think that four out of five here ended like that, with the other a draw.

I think both teams will have a lot of what-if moments - chucking a 2-0 lead away and the Manchester rain for starters - but for a neutral there’s a good argument for that being the greatest Ashes series of all time, isn’t there?

(Notwithstanding the obvious recency bias in that statement!)

8 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

Only 25 out of the 343 Ashes Tests played before this series ended with a winning margin of three wickets or fewer/50 runs or fewer.

That’s a remarkable stat when you think that four out of five here ended like that, with the other a draw.

I think both teams will have a lot of what-if moments - chucking a 2-0 lead away and the Manchester rain for starters - but for a neutral there’s a good argument for that being the greatest Ashes series of all time, isn’t there?

I would say that the quality across a lot of the series was lower than expected. A lot of wickets thrown away.  Greatest in entertainment maybe but I find it hard to balance that with the batting  

1 hour ago, The Journalist said:

The best stat of the series was the Zaltzman supplied one that in the entire history of test cricket there had only ever been 3 overs inside the first 10 of an innings with runs scored off every ball (and two of those were 4 ball overs in the 1880's).

In the 4th test England did it in consecutive overs (the 6th and 7th)!

Sorry if already posted but not read the entire thread

• Admin

England have lost two-thirds of the World Test Championship points they earned in the Ashes after bowling consistently slow over rates.

Ben Stokes' side did not bowl at the required rate in four of the five Tests and have lost 19 of the 28 points they won for two wins and a draw.

Australia have lost 10 points for a slow over rate in the fourth Test.

England and Australia players have also been fined 5% of their match fee for each point lost.

Teams are docked a point for each over they are short. England have lost two points for two missing overs at Edgbaston, nine from the Lord's Test, three for Old Trafford and five for The Oval.

The third edition of the Test Championship has just begun, with a final due to be played in 2025.

England sit fifth in the early standings, with Australia in third and Pakistan top after their series win over Sri Lanka.

7 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I see that Alex Hales has announced his retirement from International Cricket.

An explosive cricketer, apparently with a similar trait in his personal life.

A shame that his international career became derailed.

I`m proud to say that, up to now, the only two deliveries I`ve watched in that damned hundred was him getting whacked in the nuts off two consecutive balls a couple of years back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Stokes set to come out of 50 over retirement for the World Cup. ‘Makes the team look very strong.  A few choices to be made but amazing depth 

Bairstow
Roy/Jacks
Root
Stokes
Buttler
Brook/Malan
Livingston/Moeen
Woakes/Curran
Wood
Archer/Topley
Rashid

I would rather him have his knee surgery.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, DolmanGaz said:

Posted in wrong thread but Brooks in such form. Got a century off 40 odd balls in hundred today... roy and livingstone in shocking form. I don't get it??

OK Liam can bowl... I'd have Brooks over malan. And roy. But strong squad 

Yeah not having Brook in is madness and every pundit and fan seems to be in agreement.  I don’t think the squad is completely final yet so maybe he will force his way in.  I’d drop Livingstone and Roy and bring in Jacks and Brook. You don’t lose a spin option then either