International Cricket

Monkeh

9 minutes ago, Maltshoveller said:

Yeah county cricket and coaching basic technique

We need more quality less quantity in county cricket

Coaches need to teach batsman the basics  Head still /Straight bat 

Rocket science it is not

Sounds like most fans at most sports

Yeah it’s obvious we need more quality in our batting but I think Root’s captaincy could improve. As a test side, we’re nowhere near ruthless enough. That stems from the captain and the coaches…

So much work to do.

• Like 1

We need better variety in our bowling too. Once Jimmy and Broad go, we can’t expect Robinson to lead the attack abroad, I get the feeling he would get the treatment on flat pitches.

How long can Mark Wood’s knees hold up?

When will Jofra be back?…

Woakes is 32-33.

3 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

We need better variety in our bowling too. Once Jimmy and Broad go, we can’t expect Robinson to lead the attack abroad, I get the feeling he would get the treatment on flat pitches.

How long can Mark Wood’s knees hold up?

When will Jofra be back?…

Woakes is 32-33.

And that's another failing of the current structure. Counties producing a conveyor belt of swing and seam bowlers that are great for winning matches in England in April and May but they're not winning you much away from home. We saw how the attack wilted in the second innings here when the sun came out, the pitch flattened out and the ball didn't swing. Whereas India play on those pitches at home for fun (when they're not turning square) and had the skill to exploit it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomF said:

But since those first innings nearly all the scores 2nd time around were 200-300.   I'm sure its part of his wider ploy to suggest we cut down to 8-10 county sides (conveniently the ones that host 100 games) so they can play more red ball cricket. 

Isn’t that what they Are saying? Basically day 1 of these pitches are being prepared to ensure there is a result? 

1 hour ago, Lew-T said:

Yeah it’s obvious we need more quality in our batting but I think Root’s captaincy could improve. As a test side, we’re nowhere near ruthless enough. That stems from the captain and the coaches…

So much work to do.

Yep, way too passive this morning. Pope interview before the game was revealing "oh we're just going to try and survive this morning and then crack on and hope for the best later on". (I'm paraphrasing)

That's not the words of a player that genuinely thinks his team can win the match.

India on the otherhand currently believe they can win any Test match, even on day 5 with the odds stacked against them. 

Fantastic player is Root but a very, very conservative captain. Too conservative for the modern game 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

India on the otherhand currently believe they can win any Test match, even on day 5 with the odds stacked against them. 

Fantastic player is Root but a very, very conservative captain. Too conservative for the modern game 

Actually Winviz had India favourites over England this morning but with the draw favourite.

Additionally in regard to Roots captaincy - Given the flakey so and so’s in his team I don’t blame him for being conservative. Harsh to be hard on him

On 06/09/2021 at 17:02, Northern Red said:

Absolutely spot on.

People are screaming for changes, but who? The cupboard is bare.

The ECB needs to prioritise Test match and county cricket, so that the county structure supports the Test structure. Play the Tests and County Championship in June, July and August. This would give players a change to hone their games at a time when Tests are being played, ensuring they're ready to come into the Test XI if called upon. 

I would personally have the 50-over competition from April to late May. Once that's out of the way, have something like 10 Championship games across three divisions played on Saturdays to Tuesdays each week with T20s on Thursday and Friday nights, taking us up to third week in July. Then have the final six teams contesting the Championship in the remaining weeks (I like the current conference format where points rollover if you've already beaten another team, but think these dead-rubbers for the 12 counties who didn't make the cut should be binned). You could then shoehorn this 100-ball shite into September if the ECB insisted on it (I'd get rid of the circus, personally). 

Agree the cupboard is bare, because the times at which we play County Cricket enable trundlers like Darren Stevens to continue to be a key player. As long as this continues, the Test team will struggle to produce players who are up to scratch. 

I'm off to Old Trafford in a minute. I'd personally go with Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Wood, Leach, Anderson/Robinson. I don't think Root will go with that, but yet again I'm not impressed with his captaincy and how he's bowled Anderson and Robinson into the ground in the previous two Tests. 

28 minutes ago, tin said:

The ECB needs to prioritise Test match and county cricket, so that the county structure supports the Test structure. Play the Tests and County Championship in June, July and August. This would give players a change to hone their games at a time when Tests are being played, ensuring they're ready to come into the Test XI if called upon. 

I would personally have the 50-over competition from April to late May. Once that's out of the way, have something like 10 Championship games across three divisions played on Saturdays to Tuesdays each week with T20s on Thursday and Friday nights, taking us up to third week in July. Then have the final six teams contesting the Championship in the remaining weeks (I like the current conference format where points rollover if you've already beaten another team, but think these dead-rubbers for the 12 counties who didn't make the cut should be binned). You could then shoehorn this 100-ball shite into September if the ECB insisted on it (I'd get rid of the circus, personally). 

Agree the cupboard is bare, because the times at which we play County Cricket enable trundlers like Darren Stevens to continue to be a key player. As long as this continues, the Test team will struggle to produce players who are up to scratch. 

I'm off to Old Trafford in a minute. I'd personally go with Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Pope, Bairstow, Buttler, Woakes, Wood, Leach, Anderson/Robinson. I don't think Root will go with that, but yet again I'm not impressed with his captaincy and how he's bowled Anderson and Robinson into the ground in the previous two Tests. 

6 and 7 are a problem, however agree with what you say, unfortunately the county game won’t be making as much ££££ as the one day stuff 

1 hour ago, tin said:

Hopefully it goes ahead.

55 minutes ago, tin said:

Good post.

The domestic schedule for next year is still being finalised, however when the international fixtures were released yesterday they did say that the T20 finals day will be on July 16th. That suggests that they may be going back to the format that you talk about, where T20s are mostly kept to evenings and weekends with Championship being played around it. The Hundred will almost certainly be later in the summer as the women are involved in the Commonwealth Games in early August and they won't want to split it from the men's tournament. The problem is that they have to schedule something opposite it, otherwise you'll have dozens of county players who aren't involved in it sat doing nothing at the height of summer, which means the 50-over comp will probably be played at the same time again.

Root has already said Buttler and Moeen will play, Leach will only be included if they go for a second spinner which I'd imagine is highly unlikely given that he appears to not trust any of them sufficiently. Wood will come in for someone, who that is probably depends on how fresh Anderson and Robinson are.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TomF said:

What a surprise...

Surely they have to forfeit?!

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Due to fears of a further increase in the number of COVID cases inside the camp, India are regrettably unable to field a team. 

Guessing they forfeit the game then and the series ends 2-2?

Still some confusion on whether forfeit or not

Edited by And Its Smith

3 minutes ago, TomF said:

Or they don't want to have to isolate for the start of the IPL.  Depends which way you look at it. Didn't they have cases in the backroom before the 3rd and 4th tests?  Just wondering why the change of stance now. 

That's exactly what it is. If any of them had subsequently tested positive they'd have to quarantine here before flying out.

A senior figure at an IPL franchise says that the postponement of the Test was "inevitable" after the assistant physio tested positive on Wednesday, with no guarantees that other players aren't carrying the virus because of the delays in tests picking up Covid-19. 

The source says that there is a connection between the resumption of the IPL, planned for 19 September, and the apprehension among Indian players about participating. "You can't say there is a link - it is definitely a factor," he says. "They were about to do a bubble to bubble transfer." 

And what happens now? "The logical thing to do for the Indian teams now is to quarantine for six days in England and then do that bubble to bubble transfer in Dubai. Not only is this from an IPL standpoint but also a player welfare point of view." 

6 minutes ago, TomF said:

Or they don't want to have to isolate for the start of the IPL.  Depends which way you look at it. Didn't they have cases in the backroom before the 3rd and 4th tests?  Just wondering why the change of stance now. 

Yeah that’s why the test couldn’t start on Sunday. I’ve got no issue with that part of it. The IPL is very important to them. Surely the precedent to set here is that the match is forfeited rather than just cancelled?  Shastri tested positive after allegedly breaching covid rules as well