IGNORED

The new training kit (Merged again)

Just now, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I think a lot of people shrink from the idea of wearing a current top, as it conjures up a certain "image". An old Atyeo-era cotton jersey is timeless and retro cool (and 1970s, even 80s)

Yep, can see them selling very well. Higher price but a good quality product made with high quality cotton would really sell.

33 minutes ago, RedM said:

Agreed. It's overdone (sorry @Woodsy) Just keep the range plain and simple, I'd even remove the armbands as well.

The armbands are shockers. So, in an odd way, it does kind of fit. The whole thing is just shocking

31 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I think a lot of people shrink from the idea of wearing a current top, as it conjures up a certain "image". An old Atyeo-era cotton jersey is timeless and retro cool (and 1970s, even 80s)

I've suggested on here a few times that we should have a retro range. If only someone from the club read the forum and took these things on board......

34 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

we did it with the old hire-rite shirts, I remember them being on sale at Gow's testimonial, I guess if there was a demand for it they would do it, but its how you judge the kind of demand, 

One advantage with vintage/retro shirts is that they aren't going to need replacing every season, the vintage and retro thing means that unlike this season's shirt it isn't going to date.

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

One advantage with vintage/retro shirts is that they aren't going to need replacing every season, the vintage and retro thing means that unlike this season's shirt it isn't going to date.

Which is exactly why the club wouldn't be interested in selling them. They make a huge mark up on the shirts ( and indeed all their merchandise) and that's guaranteed income every year. They aren't going to release something that is good quality and doesn't date and fleece themselves. 

Personally, I'd like every fan to be consulted on all decisions regarding the club. That way we'll never agree on anything, nothing will ever get done and we'll be playing next season with no kit. 

All joking aside, it's a training top. I'm sure no one really cares what they look like, if you do, maybe you should get a hobby or something.  Sometimes they're a good design, sometimes they're God awful. This season it's God awfuls turn.

7 hours ago, Redbo said:

Personally, I'd like every fan to be consulted on all decisions regarding the club. That way we'll never agree on anything, nothing will ever get done and we'll be playing next season with no kit. 

All joking aside, it's a training top. I'm sure no one really cares what they look like, if you do, maybe you should get a hobby or something.  Sometimes they're a good design, sometimes they're God awful. This season it's God awfuls turn.

Glad you're not making commercial decisions for the club. Pretty much unanimously, seemingly everyone agrees it's a horrific design and I'm sure this will reflect in sales.

Just being content to day 'sometimes they're good sometimes they're awful and that's fine' isn't really good enough and that sort of attitude, if shared by staff, will keep us a small club. 

The club needs to be trying to sell as many of all products as they can - producing horrendous designs like this is counterproductive to achieving that. 

27 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Glad you're not making commercial decisions for the club. Pretty much unanimously, seemingly everyone agrees it's a horrific design and I'm sure this will reflect in sales.

Just being content to day 'sometimes they're good sometimes they're awful and that's fine' isn't really good enough and that sort of attitude, if shared by staff, will keep us a small club. 

The club needs to be trying to sell as many of all products as they can - producing horrendous designs like this is counterproductive to achieving that. 

It's a training top. It's not going to effect the size of the club. Yes, it's a terrible design. But so were the hashtags. And they still sold. These will too. 

This is what happens when corporate types try to be "down with the kids", you end up with the Simpsons font. 

If they wanted to reflect Bristols street art, why not commission a genuine Bristol street artist to come up with a design. I'm sure someone like Inkie would have obliged 

I quite like the Bristol Script personally 

zfxy_INKIELOGOFLOURISH.jpg

scroll02.jpg

21 minutes ago, Redbo said:

It's a training top. It's not going to effect the size of the club. Yes, it's a terrible design. But so were the hashtags. And they still sold. These will too. 

any lost sales will effect the club no matter how big or small

• Admin
22 minutes ago, Redbo said:

There is a big difference between the club shirts and random polo shirts

8 hours ago, Redbo said:

Bristol Sport can easily consult fans. Why not do this?

Your answer may be other clubs do not do this. Some do. However Bristol City and Bristol Sport are in unique position where the design and purchasing of kits/training wear is kept in house. A benefit of Bristol Sport could be providing services for the FC is the degree of autonomy this provides to create good or shit designs.

Why not use the FAN group to do so? It is surely a purpose of such a group v meeting every few months to not be consulted  on peripheral matters (like training kits) where supporters could easily be involved. What is the purpose of this group if it is not being used in a consultative capacity?

All joking aside, it's a training top. I'm sure no one really cares what they look like, if you do ... People make those decisions every day. Looking at East street many people do not care what they look like, but many people do. It is a normal thought process.

53 minutes ago, Redbo said:

No, the mentality is that of a small club. In the scheme of things, you're right - it's just a training top. The poor decision making and the 'oh well it doesn't matter' attitude is a small club attitude.

I'd never buy one, but that's not the point. Some people might have if it were a nicer design and it's all lost revenue.

The hashtag shirts sold sold but not as much as the club would like us believe. They gave free shirts away with kids season tickets which padded the numbers.

On 7/4/2017 at 22:14, cynic said:

And that says it all.

Much ado about nothing.

If people buy it, fine, if not, fine.

Have to disagree. For a number of fans, myself included, we don't like buying kits and prefer a more subtle way of supporting and showing the club i.e. casual training top or polo shirt etc. Training and casual wear is a big money maker for many clubs and if you get this wrong the club suffers financially.

We go and watch Ajax in Holland at least once a year. Just bought one of their anthem jackets for 39 euros. Plain red slim bomber jacket with the Ajax crest, no fancy stuff. Very nice. Money I would much rather have spent on a City one, but if you think I'd be seen dead in one of their jackets or training wear you must be joking.

Such a shame as many clubs in England and overseas have this part of the business completely nailed.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The hashtag shirts sold sold but not as much as the club would like us believe. They gave free shirts away with kids season tickets which padded the numbers.

Interested to know if the free shirts for kids are included in the sales figures. If so, how many of the shirts 'sold' were actually gifted to kids. I see more than adults than kids at games so can't imagine it's a huge % that were given away which would then mean the shirt was in fact a strong seller. Maybe @AdamB could clarify? 

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

Have to disagree. For a number of fans, myself included, we don't like buying kits and prefer a more subtle way of supporting and showing the club i.e. casual training top or polo shirt etc. Training and casual wear is a big money maker for many clubs and if you get this wrong the club suffers financially.

We go and watch Ajax in Holland at least once a year. Just bought one of their anthem jackets for 39 euros. Plain red slim bomber jacket with the Ajax crest, no fancy stuff. Very nice. Money I would much rather have spent on a City one, but if you think I'd be seen dead in one of their jackets or training wear you must be joking.

Such a shame as many clubs in England and overseas have this part of the business completely nailed.

Willem II do some very smart polo shirts in their club shop which get bought by City fans over there. Cant see Tilburg lads buying this stuff “City fans why is it blue and why have you let children write on it???”

On 05/07/2017 at 09:38, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I am pretty sure that they would be more popular than those idiotic training tops (are these things decided upon by 17 year old work experience kids? That inane script and that chuffing hashtag!)

Sorry if I've missed it but I can't see any hashtags on the training tops? 

4 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

This is what happens when corporate types try to be "down with the kids", you end up with the Simpsons font. 

If they wanted to reflect Bristols street art, why not commission a genuine Bristol street artist to come up with a design. I'm sure someone like Inkie would have obliged 

I quite like the Bristol Script personally 

zfxy_INKIELOGOFLOURISH.jpg

scroll02.jpg

Bristol Sport have announced they are displaying at the Geneva Car Show this year...

2017-07-06-12-39-47-.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

No, sorry....I meant the hashtag debacle from last year. Different year, different ballsup!

It's not a bullsup, it's a bad design, it isn't the first and it won't be he last,

the hashtags was a bullsup, this isn't 

57 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

I beg to differ. They both stink, so are balls ups (IMHO)!

I think it's too early to say - If we sell more replica shirts because the training kit is poor then its possible we could be in a better position. It won't be until the end of the season when we can declare this seasons efforts a failure or not.

17 minutes ago, Creg said:

Just a quick observation, but it looks like children's typefaces are the font du jour in the Prem as well. 

Nice to see we're a part of the in crowd at least. 

IMG_2189.PNG

Nice to see football heading to the lowest common denominator at full pelt.  That is shambolic, what's with the 'masks' and capes?  It's not even done well!

Loving all the armchair critics on this thread. I can only imagine the terrible sartorial and commercial decisions that would be inflicted on BCFC if you actually had any power. Seriously, get a life and if you don't like the font on the training top don't buy it. 

18 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Loving all the armchair critics on this thread. I can only imagine the terrible sartorial and commercial decisions that would be inflicted on BCFC if you actually had any power. Seriously, get a life and if you don't like the font on the training top don't buy it. 

I can't let this be the last word. As others have managed to grasp, the training top debacle is simply a symptom of a bigger issue - namely, the club's dubious ability to make sound commercial decisions that present the club in the most favourable light.

Oh and well done on insulting the entire forum. Actually, there are some very sensible voices on here that the club would do well to listen to.

Seriously, get a life and if you don't like the topic of conversation, don't comment on it.

38 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Oh and well done on insulting the entire forum. Actually, there are some very sensible voices on here that the club would do well to listen to.

I'm not insulting the whole forum, in fact many on this thread seem to share my view.

6000+ posts full of shyte don't make you right. 

Archived