IGNORED

Season Ticket sales.....

Loosey Boy

I can understand people not renewing the Season Ticket Card because of family matters, ill health, financial constraints or moving from the area, but I will never understand those who don't renew because of the perceived standard of football, the manager etc. For me, you either support City or you don't. It never  occurred to me to stop, despite having to watch sides managed by Pulis, Osman and that berk who replaced John Ward. Managers and players come and go, but the Club lives on. 

As for constant struggle at this level putting people off, when was it ever any different. Apart from 4 glorious years in the First Division in the 1970's, the promotion year itself in 1975/6 and our (failed) attempt to reach the Premier League under GJ, our history is littered with seasons spent near the bottom of what is now the Championship. According to Sky's calculations, last year's finish of 17th in the Championship is exactly where our history says we should be. 

We  all want things to get better, and most want to see City in the Premiership, but I will continue to renew my season ticket come rain or shine as long as I am physically able to attend. For the record, nobody I know has not renewed for the season ahead.

Just now, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I can understand people not renewing the Season Ticket Card because of family matters, ill health, financial constraints or moving from the area, but I will never understand those who don't renew because of the perceived standard of football, the manager etc. For me, you either support City or you don't. It never  occurred to me to stop, despite having to watch sides managed by Pulis, Osman and that berk who replaced John Ward. Managers and players come and go, but the Club lives on. 

As for constant struggle at this level putting people off, when was it ever any different. Apart from 4 glorious years in the First Division in the 1970's, the promotion year itself in 1975/6 and our (failed) attempt to reach the Premier League under GJ, our history is littered with seasons spent near the bottom of what is now the Championship. According to Sky's calculations, last year's finish of 17th in the Championship is exactly where our history says we should be. 

We  all want things to get better, and most want to see City in the Premiership, but I will continue to renew my season ticket come rain or shine as long as I am physically able to attend. For the record, nobody I know has not renewed for the season ahead.

I've put up with osman pulis and SoD, we are no where near as bad as it was then, 

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, the improved facilities at AG should be a big draw for all types of supporters but especially families. With the facilities still so new and getting better (huge indoor play area in upper West Stand next season?) season card sales should be improving each season as the club looks to build its support with the ultimate aim of filling AG. Instead it looks like sales will not increase this season, in fact there could be a small reduction. Even if, best case, sales are around the same as last season that has to go down as a disappointment for the club. Though I'm sure they wouldn't voice that publicly.  Last season's debacle will of course have played its part and even a moderately successful season of mid-table obscurity would have surely led to increased sales for next season.

Good points. I'll wager the club will be looking to increase the number of families/punters who are as attracted by the pre-game/half-time/post-game stuff, that way they're more likely to renew no matter the results. If they can bring in people who see it as a day out plus some football, that's what they'd be after, I reckon. Keeps annoying people like me away, then. 

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

But not everyone is exactly like you. Or me. Or anyone else. We're all different. Everyone has a different tolerance level. Everyone has a different level of passion/commitment. Something else might have come up in their life that, wait for it, might be equally as tempting as football. Not everyone goes with loads of mates, or to spend time with mates. Look around on a match day, there are quite a few people who clearly go on their own and may not fancy that all the time. Everyone is different, they may also support City full stop. They may not be "either supporting them or not". This time round their support may consist of checking the results rather than being in attendance. We are all different, y'know!

2 hours ago, richwwtk said:

Why was last season any different to the numerous bad seasons we've had in the past? Several of them much worse than what we had last year. I don't get why suddenly any large number of fans would decide enough is enough and stop buying a ST on the basis of a single season.

I also don't see why people are expecting the numbers to be boosted by large numbers of juvenile tickets. The offers available this year are no different to last season.

They won't. Hyperbole is just more fashionable and easier these days.

There are 14 of us that have had season tickets for many years. We all meet up on a Saturday at midday, have a few beers, wander down the ground around 2:45 and then all go back to the pub after the game win lose or draw for at least one pint. It's just a routine that I wouldn't change for anything, it's what our Saturdays are all about.

Sadly one hasn't renewed for the coming season due to financial circumstances and he will pick and choose his games.

Lets hope if/when we do make it to the top flight that Mr Lansdown rewards the long term season ticket holders with a similar gesture to that of the Huddersfield chairman this season.

20 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'm sure that can't be the case!

If it is, then sales must be doing pretty well. 

Bare in mind that there's not a "bad" seat in the stadium these days. 

The block I was in last year apparently didnt show a single seat available for season tickets before the season was over!

I didnt renew due to finances, the person sat next to me told me my seat was the only one left available. At the next home game I was told it was gone.

Since football changed to 3 points for a win, we have only had 6 seasons where we've bettered last season points total at this level. 

Times aren't as bad as some of the pessimists on here like to lead us to believe! 

There is no doubt that we are trying to progress. Look at the money that SL is investing! We aren't the only ones who want to do better, most of the other 24 championship teams will be wanting the same thing. It's not easy in this league, that's why it's probably the most competitive/unpredictable league in the world. 

I can't wait for the new season! 

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think it's increasingly common in football tbh in modern times. Saw some good articles about it but the picture seems mixed, contradictory.

http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/football-clubs-facing-demographic-time-bomb

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/9793689/Football-grounds-arent-full-of-old-white-men-after-all-....html

http://review.premierleague.com/2014-15/the-fans/full-stadiums.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/aug/16/premier-league-football-ticket-prices

There isn't a real clear definitive picture. However the bottom line is that age of supporters- pretty well across the board, when set against even 20, let alone 30, 40 years ago- is surely on a rising trend.

It's a habit, we got hooked, and bye we I mean us older supporters who grew up in the time before the internet, electronic devices and all the other attractions of the modern age, there are so many more distractions that younger people are drawn to, half the people under 40 I know never look away from their mobile for more than 20 seconds. getting them to pay attention to a match, good luck with that!!

5 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Work commitments one, another has moved so has a membership now and the 3rd can't be arsed so will pick and chose because getting tickets 

the 8 are 2 family's who went to the odd game and loved it, I think the facilities and some of the halftime stuff is a real bright point, I know when they've had a band on the stage at half time I've stopped and watched them instead of going for a pint in the sports bar,

I know what you mean, when you go to the gate now you actually feel proud and would be happy to bring anybody down, cant say I would have said the same 10 years ago.

Archived