IGNORED

Whats become of Tin Plavotic

gavlin

46 minutes ago, gordie said:

Hasn't even signed yet and you are writing him off, give the bloke a chance, he could be the next messi.. ah

Yes, but I saw him play against a weak front line of Kevin Kline and Michael Palin: admittedly he had that big girl Jamie Lee Curtis alongside him but he seemed distracted all game

14 minutes ago, cynic said:

He can walk the walk...

But does he have the same potential as Tin Plavotic ?

Silly question...

I think that transfer speculation is no more, it has ceased to be,  is bereft of life, it rests in peace: it is ex-speculation.

As is this chain of thought.......

14 hours ago, pongo88 said:

Potential? Grita, a player who could never be a Championship player in a million years. The couple of Irish player (so obscure I can't remember their names). Tin Platovic - 11 games for Cheltenham, wow! Etc

Not "2"  I said "etc". Look at all the rest. As for De Girolamo, I think you've spent too long listening  to LJ's interviews. Early last season he said the only reason De Girolamo wasn't in the team was because of the great form of Lee Tomlin. When LT's form disappeared where was De Girolamo? At Chrltenham, where he couldn't hold down a first team place 

Oh, it's only £50k, so that's alright, because he's proven he can score a couple of goals for Plymouth in League 2!  I could find players who can do that and so could most on the forum  

See above 

Not sure if deliberate or not (it seems so) but you are completely ignoring the points made so you can rant more

Garita has been explained, he may never make it with us, but providing we can flog him to a League 1 or 2 side, we will make profit. In bold now, so you don't miss it. What part of making a profit is bad?

Plavotic is 19 ffs, just what is your issue there? That he only has League football at Cheltenham? Given he joined in January, just what did you expect?

The point of signing the young players is that the club invests a few years in them, after that time some might be ready for the first team, NOT expecting them to be ready after 6 months. Those who do not make it with us can often be sold to a lower league side, once again adding funds.

There will be some years when none of the youth players will make the step up. That happens, and when it does it is not a bad reflection on the club/coaches/scouts because that is common at even the best academies in the world.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

This academy thing has only really kicked on since LJ arrived. I know it was there but it seems we are really working on it now. It'll be 3-4 years before we know if it pays off. Even Di Girolamo is an older punt were hoping to develop as a late bloomer. Otherwise most other exciting prospects are 19 or younger. It needs more time before we write it off. You can probably run the U23s per week for the same price as one bobby Reid. I like bobby but if it was him or the academy I think we'd benefit more from the academy. Low cost, low risk and high reward. 

I thought that!! Yet his dad has never trusted his own teams youth set ups, strange!! 

59 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

I thought that!! Yet his dad has never trusted his own teams youth set ups, strange!! 

look at the players he released that fans demanded he play, I think out of all of them he only got 1 wrong and that was Harley and even then it's debatable that he got that one wrong

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What time period are you basing that on though? If it's from the time of De Girolamo (about a year) it's not nearly long enough to judge. 

What time period? Definitely longer than the De G period. How many academy players have gone on to become regular first team players in the last 10 years? There is bound to be a low success rate from an academy, but City's rate is far too low for the effort expended. Hence my comment:

If it was an end of term school report I'd give City a D+ with the comment "lots of effort but must do better"

The fact that there have been so many changes in the academy structure and staff in recent years tends to illustrate that City has not been happy with the end product. Things may get better in the future but I'm not commenting on the future as that is conjecture.

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

What time period? Definitely longer than the De G period. How many academy players have gone on to become regular first team players in the last 10 years? There is bound to be a low success rate from an academy, but City's rate is far too low for the effort expended. Hence my comment:

If it was an end of term school report I'd give City a D+ with the comment "lots of effort but must do better"

The fact that there have been so many changes in the academy structure and staff in recent years tends to illustrate that City has not been happy with the end product. Things may get better in the future but I'm not commenting on the future as that is conjecture.

Yeah, in the last decade or so our youth set up has changed a great deal. The biggest change being the current one with Tinnion in his role and recruitment of non-academy young players (like De Girolamo/Platovic) who come from other youth systems.

I don't think it's fair to compare the current era with the time under Coppell you made reference to when he bought in Jimmy Keohane and Patrick Hoban - we all know what happened with Coppell and Millen inherited those players who he clearly didn't rate. In my opinion, a successful youth system requires continuity which we have now. If Johnson went tomorrow, Tinnion and the U23 set up would still be in place with the same personnel.

I think it's unfair to judge it too harshly just yet as the structure of the u23 squad and Tinnion's role is a work in progress and a relatively new set up. If in 2019/2020 none of his recruits from that age group have made first team appearances then maybe we should review it. 

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Yeah, in the last decade or so our youth set up has changed a great deal. The biggest change being the current one with Tinnion in his role and recruitment of non-academy young players (like De Girolamo/Platovic) who come from other youth systems.

I don't think it's fair to compare the current era with the time under Coppell you made reference to when he bought in Jimmy Keohane and Patrick Hoban - we all know what happened with Coppell and Millen inherited those players who he clearly didn't rate. In my opinion, a successful youth system requires continuity which we have now. If Johnson went tomorrow, Tinnion and the U23 set up would still be in place with the same personnel.

I think it's unfair to judge it too harshly just yet as the structure of the u23 squad and Tinnion's role is a work in progress and a relatively new set up. If in 2019/2020 none of his recruits from that age group have made first team appearances then maybe we should review it. 

I gave you a like for this , as though we have a different perspective on things, you have a well argued case, which is what the forum should be.

Just now, pongo88 said:

I gave you a like for this , as though we have a different perspective on things, you have a well argued case, which is what the forum should be.

Thanks - likewise. 

I really believe though that over the next few years this approach of recruitment will pay off. Tinnion puts in a ridiculous amount of miles and covers loads of games. It'll take a bit of time, but hopefully we'll have a conveyor belt of players that will either become first team players or we'll sell on for profit.

If i'm wrong about this we can resume the debate in the 19/20 season! :P 

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

look at the players he released that fans demanded he play, I think out of all of them he only got 1 wrong and that was Harley and even then it's debatable that he got that one wrong

O well, past is past, doing it the right way now and that's what matters

Archived