IGNORED

Visiting Bristol - looking for advice

New2City

I'm travelling over from Alaska, and have decided to stay in Bristol for a few days since the 1st league game and the game against Plymouth are both at home. I've only been there for games, and a few hour layover enroute to Cardiff last year (so I walked from Temple Meads to the Gate, stopped at MShed, and returned via Hotwells, stopping at the Bag O Nails for a pint).

I'm looking for recommendations on some things to do or see, as I have all day Sunday, Monday, and most of Tuesday (and hopefully the game is not pushed to Wednesday)

TIA

15 minutes ago, New2City said:

I'm travelling over from Alaska, and have decided to stay in Bristol for a few days since the 1st league game and the game against Plymouth are both at home. I've only been there for games, and a few hour layover enroute to Cardiff last year (so I walked from Temple Meads to the Gate, stopped at MShed, and returned via Hotwells, stopping at the Bag O Nails for a pint).

I'm looking for recommendations on some things to do or see, as I have all day Sunday, Monday, and most of Tuesday (and hopefully the game is not pushed to Wednesday)

TIA

You staying in town? Will you have transport or just walking and using buses & trains?

8 minutes ago, New2City said:

I wouldn't feel confident trying to drive on the wrong side of a car on the wrong side of the road!

You mean like you do at the moment :)

Try the 'Clifton Suspension Bridge' or just the suspension bridge to the rest of us. Its in walking distance from town/ashton. There is a visitors centre on the ashton court side of the bridge.

6 minutes ago, Calculus said:

This site is fairly useful:

http://visitbristol.co.uk/things-to-do

... and you can also jump on a train and have a look at Bath - a World Heritage City only 13 miles away.

Thank you, that's quite excellent. On a side note, it seems that the website has copied the font from city's training tops...

Bath Spa is definitely on my short list.

4 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I'll change that to I wouldn't feel confident driving on the opposite side than what I'm used to ;) 

I've seen the bridge, just from far away. I will definitely check it out.

1 minute ago, New2City said:

I'll change that to I wouldn't feel confident driving on the opposite side than what I'm used to ;) 

I've seen the bridge, just from far away. I will definitely check it out.

Make sure you do, it is truly a thing of beauty. If you`re interested in engineering it`s fascinating how it was built too.

Brilliant view of the Theatre Of Dreams from up there too!

3 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Try the 'Clifton Suspension Bridge' or just the suspension bridge to the rest of us. Its in walking distance from town/ashton. There is a visitors centre on the ashton court side of the bridge.

Can't recall if the Clifton Observatory is open or not: if so, that is worth a look too.

23 hours ago, New2City said:

Walking / buses / train. I wouldn't feel confident trying to drive on the wrong side of a car on the wrong side of the road!

You do that all ready because we drive on the right side of the roard

On 05/07/2017 at 20:33, New2City said:

TIA

SS Great Britain, and the Clifton suspension bridge - when go somewhere nicer than Bristol, unless you like your towns 'rough and eclectic'.

tfj

Just now, New2City said:

*She :) 

I'm from smack dab in the middle of the state, so I'm 400 miles from any large body of water.

Mods??

Can you delete this reply, as New2City has identified herself as a lady.

There will be a feeding frenzy when BigTone reads the thread, and it will show Bristol in a bad light.

Many thanks for the usual level of assistance............

tfj

Archived