IGNORED

Double figures?

Top Robin

7 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

No necessarily.

Teams can play well without a win.

I've personally been to a game where one team battered the other for 90 minutes, the opposition goalkeeper played the best game of his career and the dominant team lost 4-0, they must have had 15-20 shots saved while the other team had 3 shots in the entire game (one goal was a cross that took a wicked deflection)

So that team played very well but had a terrible result.

I want us to win all the friendlies, but- particularly the first 2 or 3- they are about fitness rather than a dick-waving contest.

I'm glad I'm away for the FC Twente game now..!! 

Reading the thread title got me a bit worried then.

Double figures.

Thought it would be a prediction for how many points we would have by Christmas.

Was going to say, we're lowering our expectations a bit aren't we if that was the case!!!

Panic over :blink:

10 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yes James. In this level of football much like the higher levels it's about how much your paying.

Manor Farm got beat in the last 16 of the vase by a team from the midlands.

Buckland then got beat in the quarters by the same side.

Who went on to play South Shields in the semi.

They had Julian Arca playing for them. So only one winner.

Like days in the past who's paying thr money?

Tiverton and Taunton have been to wemberley to win the Vase.

So what i'm trying to say it's all about how much anyones paying!!!

Very true.  I played against the Tiverton and Taunton sides of the mis 90s, and if the stories were true, it was a pretty unlevel playing field.

James - have BMF got someone putting in money behind the scenes.  To pay their players (cup £s aside), you need more than crowds of 150, or a decent social club.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Very true.  I played against the Tiverton and Taunton sides of the mis 90s, and if the stories were true, it was a pretty unlevel playing field.

James - have BMF got someone putting in money behind the scenes.  To pay their players (cup £s aside), you need more than crowds of 150, or a decent social club.

South Shields, (North Shields won the vase last year) have been getting crowds I the thousands. As far as I know there having a new  stadium and have visions of grander

They have a mini Lansdown and are the up!!!

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not that I am aware, but possible. They have had the same chairman for years (literally my lifetime, but I'm only 22), think they have done work on improving how much stuff gets done with their social club.

I've never been particularly local to them, but their use of social media is very good- of course this is only a recent thing, but with retweets and the like they can reach far more people than ever before.

I expect they will average over 225 next season, which is a sizable increase again (largely from away crowds) and I may be underestimating as they will have games against Mangotsfield and (I think) Yate which should bring a few.

Gutted for them that they missed out on playing Hereford by a season, that would have been a near sell out, but they managed a crowd of over 500 for their final game last season. (I don't know their official average, but other than that 500 crowd and a week night cup game in freezing weather and pouring rain (waterproof coat wasn't waterproof enough) of about 70, all the games I have been to over the last 2-3 years were roughly 150

18 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Not that I am aware, but possible. They have had the same chairman for years (literally my lifetime, but I'm only 22), think they have done work on improving how much stuff gets done with their social club.

I've never been particularly local to them, but their use of social media is very good- of course this is only a recent thing, but with retweets and the like they can reach far more people than ever before.

I expect they will average over 225 next season, which is a sizable increase again (largely from away crowds) and I may be underestimating as they will have games against Mangotsfield and (I think) Yate which should bring a few.

Gutted for them that they missed out on playing Hereford by a season, that would have been a near sell out, but they managed a crowd of over 500 for their final game last season. (I don't know their official average, but other than that 500 crowd and a week night cup game in freezing weather and pouring rain (waterproof coat wasn't waterproof enough) of about 70, all the games I have been to over the last 2-3 years were roughly 150

It's amazing really, when I first went to see BMF 3 years ago there were 45 people there, the increase in crowds is brilliant

31 minutes ago, cynic said:

Stranraer 0-5 Twente today.

They're playing Hanover96 next then Everton - should be a pointer to what we are in for...

By the time that game comes round, both teams should be up to speed (although Twente have already played 4 games).

I was reffering to the last line of his post..!

8 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

It's amazing really, when I first went to see BMF 3 years ago there were 45 people there, the increase in crowds is brilliant

If (big if) they somehow got 2 more promotions in the near future I'd be like a kid waiting for that years FM to come out so I could manage them.

Not sure their ground would meet the requirments for Conference South mind, but I saw they have said the money from tomorrows game will go to getting new floodlights. Hopefully this means they will change to 1 in each corner instead of 4 on each side of the pitch.

But yeah the crowd increase has been massive, it would be like City getting 60k a week in 3 years time!

1 hour ago, Cap flinger said:

Absolute belter!

20 goals and win the League!

20 x 1-0 wins 60pts

26 x 0-0 draws 26pts

thats 86pts, probably not enough to win the league and that's without conceding a goal all season!

ffs no wonder no one takes you seriously 

Apart from 2007/8 season when West Brom won the league with 81 points and stoke went with 79 points, but let's not let facts get in the way shall we

Bottom line is, the only time we should be 'worrying' is the actual league season. I'm not too bothered about pre-season friendlies although I do enjoy standing on the sidelines in evenings watching my local team with friends :cool:

10 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

If (big if) they somehow got 2 more promotions in the near future I'd be like a kid waiting for that years FM to come out so I could manage them.

Not sure their ground would meet the requirments for Conference South mind, but I saw they have said the money from tomorrows game will go to getting new floodlights. Hopefully this means they will change to 1 in each corner instead of 4 on each side of the pitch.

But yeah the crowd increase has been massive, it would be like City getting 60k a week in 3 years time!

I managed them last FM having installed a 24 league update and it was great fun

In order to get anywhere near conference south requirements they would need to find a new ground as I doubt that they can expand too much on the Creek, hopefully today's money will be of help though

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

:laugh:

I didn't laugh.  OK double figures was an exaggeration to make my point, but I think it's poor that we only put one past Guernsey FC.....in fact it was pathetic. Players on such massive salaries should make sure that they are totally fit all year round and also up for any match they are lucky enough to be picked for. Or are we genuinely not very good and that was a fair result. Hope today is better.

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I didn't laugh.  OK double figures was an exaggeration to make my point, but I think it's poor that we only put one past Guernsey FC.....in fact it was pathetic. Players on such massive salaries should make sure that they are totally fit all year round and also up for any match they are lucky enough to be picked for. Or are we genuinely not very good and that was a fair result. Hope today is better.

Perhaps Newcastle United fans could have called their 6-1 friendly defeat to Leyton Orient in 2009 'pathetic'. They won the Championship by 11 points.

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Happy yet..?

On 08/07/2017 at 14:44, JamesBCFC said:

A very naïve and frankly disrespectful view there.

The friendlies are about building up fitness and possibly trying a formation or two.

Those teams shouldn't cause us a problem (Manor Farm and Guernsey but (I can only speak for Manor Farm here) play some extremely good football.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manor Farm score tomorrow, they scored over 100 goals last season and just signed a striker from a Conference South team, whilst we won't have a full strength side out.

The latter friendlies are the ones where the level of performance is more important.

1 hour ago, Benjam!n Ultra said:

Why the laugh?

We played very well and Manor Farm put in the worst performance I have seen from them in close to 200 games.

They went with a formation they do not normally use and the gulf in quality showed.

I stand by what I said about it being very naïve and disrespectful to assume you should beat a team by double figures just because they are non-league. In fact it is incredibly arrogant to do so.

7 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I was not really expecting double figures but that's certainly a more realistic and satisfying score relative to the lowly opposition. 

yes the butchers and bakers were not a patch on the candle stick makers.

Archived