IGNORED

Double figures?

Top Robin

I know friendlies can throw up some strange results for a number of reasons but surely against the likes of Guernsey FC today and Bristol Manor Farm tomorrow we should be looking at getting goals into double figures and not really conceding at all.  The squad we are taking looks strong and whatever team we pick, it will be highly paid full time Championship level players (bar a couple) versus low level part timers who's real jobs are factory workers, butchers and estate agents. Surely our guys will be wanting to impress in every friendly with a view to being part of the main event in August. 

I'd rather they all got a good work out, practised some movements and game plans from the training pitch and all came out of the games with no knocks. 

I couldn't care less how many goals we score. Start with a couple of good work outs. Win both games to avoid any negativity and build to peak fitness ready for August. 

Very rarely will any team beat any other team with double figure goals. 

57 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I'd rather they all got a good work out, practised some movements and game plans from the training pitch and all came out of the games with no knocks. 

I couldn't care less how many goals we score. Start with a couple of good work outs. Win both games to avoid any negativity and build to peak fitness ready for August. 

Spot on. I remember going to Exeter for a pre-season friendly in Tinnion's days as boss. City won 7-1. Meant absolutely nothing when we lost by the same margin vs Swansea and Tinnion sat in the dug-out head in hands.......................

Always a strange one with friendlies as players won't be giving it anywhere near 100% as they're not yet match fit and have only just started training again. A lot of the 'work' they do today won't be about scoring as many goals as possible. 

But yeah you'd still like to think that against this standard of opposition, there will be a few goals. However I imagine the team at times will be very mixed in terms of youngsters and senior players.

33 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Always a strange one with friendlies as players won't be giving it anywhere near 100% 

But yeah you'd still like to think that against this standard of opposition, there will be a few goals. However I imagine the team at times will be very mixed in terms of youngsters and senior players.

And thats it - pre season games are about as dreary as it gets from a supporters point of view for those reasons and why I have no interest in watching them.

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

And that it - pre season games are about as dreary as it gets from a supporters point of view for those reasons and why I have no interest in watching them.

Really Robbo, I never had you down as a "part timer"  :disapointed2se:

I personally like going to friendly's as there is no pressure, you can watch a good game of football in a relaxed atmosphere knowing it doesn't matter what the score is and you know the real stuff is just around the corner...Bring it on I say and Can't wait for Torquay next week

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

I am bothered about how many goals they score coz that's what football is all about. If they want a work out, they can go down the gym or go for a run. I want to see that we can play in a way where we score goals ( and don't concede)....don't think that's too much to ask.  The mindset of scoring goals should be a priority.

12 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I am bothered about how many goals they score coz that's what football is all about. If they want a work out, they can go down the gym or go for a run. I want to see that we can play in a way where we score goals ( and don't concede)....don't think that's too much to ask.  The mindset of scoring goals should be a priority.

I suggest that you are not a football coach for a living then mate. 

15 minutes ago, kevthered said:

I personally like going to friendly's as there is no pressure, you can watch a good game of football in a relaxed atmosphere knowing it doesn't matter what the score is and you know the real stuff is just around the corner...Bring it on I say and Can't wait for Torquay next week

Sounds too much like going to watch a Rugby match to me..!

Bring on the season! 

6 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I know friendlies can throw up some strange results for a number of reasons but surely against the likes of Guernsey FC today and Bristol Manor Farm tomorrow we should be looking at getting goals into double figures and not really conceding at all.  The squad we are taking looks strong and whatever team we pick, it will be highly paid full time Championship level players (bar a couple) versus low level part timers who's real jobs are factory workers, butchers and estate agents. Surely our guys will be wanting to impress in every friendly with a view to being part of the main event in August. 

A very naïve and frankly disrespectful view there.

The friendlies are about building up fitness and possibly trying a formation or two.

Those teams shouldn't cause us a problem (Manor Farm and Guernsey but (I can only speak for Manor Farm here) play some extremely good football.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manor Farm score tomorrow, they scored over 100 goals last season and just signed a striker from a Conference South team, whilst we won't have a full strength side out.

The latter friendlies are the ones where the level of performance is more important.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Cant understand why we cant arrange friendlies with decent opposition.  Local derbies would be fun.  OK perhaps that wouldn't constitute decent opposition, but you know what i mean.

Swansea would be a good test and they are fairly close by.

FC Twente (a regular in the Europa League) not good enough?

16 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

A very naïve and frankly disrespectful view there.

The friendlies are about building up fitness and possibly trying a formation or two.

Those teams shouldn't cause us a problem (Manor Farm and Guernsey but (I can only speak for Manor Farm here) play some extremely good football.

I wouldn't be surprised if Manor Farm score tomorrow, they scored over 100 goals last season and just signed a striker from a Conference South team, whilst we won't have a full strength side out.

The latter friendlies are the ones where the level of performance is more important.

Doesn't a decent performance mean scoring goals......I don't want to go through next season with decent performances but lacking in the goals dept.

5 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Doesn't a decent performance mean scoring goals......I don't want to go through next season with decent performances but lacking in the goals dept.

No necessarily.

Teams can play well without a win.

I've personally been to a game where one team battered the other for 90 minutes, the opposition goalkeeper played the best game of his career and the dominant team lost 4-0, they must have had 15-20 shots saved while the other team had 3 shots in the entire game (one goal was a cross that took a wicked deflection)

So that team played very well but had a terrible result.

I want us to win all the friendlies, but- particularly the first 2 or 3- they are about fitness rather than a dick-waving contest.

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

no it doesn't, we can score 80 goals and get relegated, we can score 20 goals and win the league,

It's more important to keep goals out, don't concede and you don't lose

Yesterday Bristol Manor Farm won a friendly 7-0, against a side they were only one division above last season.

However this isn't a surprising result really, as they are a very free scoring side as you will see below.

(98 goals between 4 players!)

All four of which have signed for next season along with a striker signed from Weston.

Dean Stamp is the real danger man. I think I read somewhere recently he has scored 91 in 98 for them, that was before his hat-trick yesterday.

My Dad was at the game where Stamp made his Farm debut and told me that he was simply a class above, though oddly I recall an article where Stamp was interviewed and his favoured position is LB.

Screenshot_2017-07-08-21-25-29.png

3 hours ago, Monkeh said:

no it doesn't, we can score 80 goals and get relegated, we can score 20 goals and win the league,

It's more important to keep goals out, don't concede and you don't lose

Absolute belter!

20 goals and win the League!

20 x 1-0 wins 60pts

26 x 0-0 draws 26pts

thats 86pts, probably not enough to win the league and that's without conceding a goal all season!

ffs no wonder no one takes you seriously 

16 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yesterday Bristol Manor Farm won a friendly 7-0, against a side they were only one division above last season.

However this isn't a surprising result really, as they are a very free scoring side as you will see below.

(98 goals between 4 players!)

All four of which have signed for next season along with a striker signed from Weston.

Dean Stamp is the real danger man. I think I read somewhere recently he has scored 91 in 98 for them, that was before his hat-trick yesterday.

My Dad was at the game where Stamp made his Farm debut and told me that he was simply a class above, though oddly I recall an article where Stamp was interviewed and his favoured position is LB.

Screenshot_2017-07-08-21-25-29.png

Yes James. In this level of football much like the higher levels it's about how much your paying.

Manor Farm got beat in the last 16 of the vase by a team from the midlands.

Buckland then got beat in the quarters by the same side.

Who went on to play South Shields in the semi.

They had Julian Arca playing for them. So only one winner.

Like days in the past who's paying thr money?

Tiverton and Taunton have been to wemberley to win the Vase.

So what i'm trying to say it's all about how much anyones paying!!!

2 minutes ago, Cap flinger said:

Absolute belter!

20 goals and win the League!

20 x 1-0 wins 60pts

26 x 0-0 draws 26pts

thats 86pts, probably not enough to win the league and that's without conceding a goal all season!

ffs no wonder no one takes you seriously 

When Cardiff went up 80 points would have been enough for the title.

1 minute ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yes James. In this level of football much like the higher levels it's about how much your paying.

Manor Farm got beat in the last 16 of the vase by a team from the midlands.

Buckland then got beat in the quarters by the same side.

Who went on to play South Shields in the semi.

They had Julian Arca playing for them. So only one winner.

Like days in the past who's paying thr money?

Tiverton and Taunton have been to wemberley to win the Vase.

So what i'm trying to say it's all about how much anyones paying!!!

You absolutely have a point, but as far as I am aware Farms money has been mostly self generated.

They got to the quarter finals of the Vase in the season before the one just gone and have increased their crowds fivefold over the last five years or so. While 150 is still not a big crowd, 5x the revenue is a massive increase.

I believe they had a massive attendance in an away game against Melksham in the cup, which they benefitted from too, through the split revenues cup games give.

2 minutes ago, Cap flinger said:

Scoring 20 goals?

If they conceded none, then yes it would have been.

@Monkeh's post was exaggerated, yes, and while I cannot speak for him, it read fairly clearly to me that it was exaggerated to emphasise the point.

If we scored 10 goals in every friendly but didn't win any I would be far more concerned than if we scored 1 per game and had a mix of wins, draws and defeats.

Archived