IGNORED

The official Torquay United FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

5 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

LJ really doesn't like Golbourne does he?

Surely another who may be gone come Sept.

I think you might be right. Never looked in favour under LJ. Reckon he might retire in the next couple of years anyway, he and his wife are into property development and may focus more on that.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not a shock though fairly humiliating for him to be the only senior squad member out there tonight. That's a special kind of "I don't rate you".

Who else would you suggest could of been in the squad considering the game last night & the game on Saturday?

I think you'll see more of a split now between our first team squad & the U23's & younger.

If his plan is to play 2 different teams each half or give as many as possible a run out, we have a fair few injuries at the moment & that may be limiting the amount of 'first team' players playing in the younger team.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not a shock though fairly humiliating for him to be the only senior squad member out there tonight. That's a special kind of "I don't rate you".

Or it could just be the start of a route into a coaching role perhaps? Who knows?

Whilst the crowd vs Bath, and them being more local made sense for LJ to send a senior squad there, I can't help thinking it's odd to send the young 'uns to play a side from a higher league than Bath play in, for purely footballing reasons. The result is immaterial I know. Just a thought.

Edit: Judging by the crowd Torquay had for a pre-season friendly I'm guessing they were expecting a stronger City side too! They'll be lucky to have that many at some National League games this season!!

1 minute ago, Andy Horsman said:

Whilst the crowd vs Bath, and them being more local made sense for LJ to send a senior squad there, I can't help thinking it's odd to send the young 'uns to play a side from a higher league than Bath play in, for purely footballing reasons. The result is immaterial I know. Just a thought.

Maybe LJ is using it as an opportunity for the youngster to test themselves against stronger opposition than Bath because he's stated he wants to give a few a chance this season? Who knows. Get your point though.

1 hour ago, 22A said:

Torquay owner(s) is / are the guy(s) who own Gaming International which is trying ALLEGEDLY to turn Swindon Speedway's track into housing and will only then build a replacement track. GI have an ALLEGED history of this activity elsewhere. Rumour is that TUFC will ground share with Truro. 85 miles away, slightly longer than City sharing with Exeter!

I also have an affinity for Torquay. In my early teens, the family used to stay in Brixham every Easter. Special busses ran from Brixham to Plainmoor for the games. Remember TUFC used to kick off at 7.30 pm on Saturdays as they realised they might attract a few holiday makers along to their games. I showed my BCFC Supporter's Club book and they allowed me in their club for a pre match beer.

Those were the glory days for Torquay.

Robin Stubbs,Jim Fryatt, Micky Cave, Tommy Mitchenson.

For a couple of years they were on the verge of promotion to what is now the championship.

It was thought at the time that the board didn't want to go up.

Those Saturday night games would  attract at times 10.000 fans.

Remember one Sat nite game they were on match of the day. Think it was a 3/0 win against Stockport.

Anyway how they have fallen, were now taking our kids down to play them.

52 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yep, alongside playing him out of position (centre mid!) when he has actually been involved with the first team.

Along with O'Neil, Tomlin & Engvall it is blatantly obvious they will all be gone if we can find clubs willing to sign these four..

Argh... forgot to update key tweets... here they are. Not much to write home about.

He played the kids and I'm sure LJ bingo for tonight's interview will include 'men's football', 'experience', and 'other lads needed a rest' or words to that effect...

4 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Argh... forgot to update key tweets... here they are. Not much to write home about.

He played the kids and I'm sure LJ bingo for tonight's interview will include 'men's football', 'experience', and 'other lads needed a rest' or words to that effect...

young, hungry, DNA…

Archived