IGNORED

The official Torquay United FC v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

As an arch critic of The Academy, our 'Development Process' and all things recruitment, all I can say - having been 'conned' in to watching our products tonight- is what a shambles. 

Can't be arsed to comment further, aside from AshtonYate .... we were right. 

Having watched tonight, of those who may get some first team game time, Taylor Moore will never make a championship right back. Nowhere near good enough distribution and going forward. Zac Vyner was composed enough at the back. Golbourne played like he had no future at the club. Lucic made a couple of decent saves but distribution was shocking. Of the younger players George Dowling has beefed up a bit, played just in front of back 4 but got caught in possession a couple of times. I thought Hinds was quite lively up front and the young lad Morton in midfield was neat and tidy. Of the even younger contingent that came on Sesay the young keeper did ok whilst I thought Ash Harper and Opi Edwards stood out from that group.

1 hour ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Like the club in general it smells protected workshop

1 hour ago, Shtanley said:

Are you speaking through google translate cause I have no idea what you're talking about

Tommy means "closed shop" of course; that is Lee is playing favourites rather than the best players.

34 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Made some good saves but distribution was shocking. The young lad that came on on in his place certainly has a presence about him.

Interesting. His distribution is normally one of his better attributes. Cheers though. 

I don't get why people get arsey about friendlies,

its a chance to look at players and test formation and get fitness that's it,

this was a chance to see if any of the kids could step up and the answer was no, they aren't ready yet 

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I don't get why people get arsey about friendlies,

its a chance to look at players and test formation and get fitness that's it,

this was a chance to see if any of the kids could step up and the answer was no, they aren't ready yet 

Well, if had been billed a kids match doubt many would have bothered going. The best decision of the night was made by a group of 8 who left after 25 minutes. 

I suppose, on the pitch, you would be looking for a bit of 'something' from one or more of the 20 odd players on show (including a £1-2 million purchase and another player, I suspect, on several £thousand a week). Aside from both keepers, one of whom's distribution was poor, the other's not much better (although I couldn't tell whether the full back was asleep or wasn't given a chance to control the ball before it sped out of play), nobody rose above mediocre. 

Worrying that we've invested £millions in the set up to see such bang average performances. They all looked clones of each other, weak, anonymous and as a team, totally characterless. There were no leaders evident, no player who took the game by the scruff of the neck and dictated play. 

I suppose my real fear is whether, under LJ, we are developing  a culture of mentally and physically weak zombies in the Club. Just a load of blokes 'busy doing nothing'. As they say in management, be careful not to create a team an identikit of yourself. 

Anyhow, as you say 'just a friendly'. Next time, perhaps, better played behind closed doors like these sort of games were in the past. 

13 hours ago, CheddarReds said:

Will be really interested to hear from those there how Sesay does if he comes on. When I've seen him, he can be a bit erratic but his footwork, kicking and sheer size for his age is really impressive.

Indeed-been very impressed with him-genuine prospect worth keeping an eye on.

Archived