IGNORED

Gustav interview...

EmersonsRed

Personally think that it would be a mistake to send him out on loan again. Needs to be given a chance to see what he can do.

He gave a good interview and from what he said wants to be playing as much as possible. Hope that's not elsewhere. Having said that it's down to him to impress LJ.

5 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

Personally think that it would be a mistake to send him out on loan again. Needs to be given a chance to see what he can do.

He gave a good interview and from what he said wants to be playing as much as possible. Hope that's not elsewhere. Having said that it's down to him to impress LJ.

Agree with this. Rather us sell him than send him out on loan again.

3 minutes ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

He will be ahead of the other lads fitness-wise having been playing in the Swedish league until recently. With Đurić and Taylor on the treatment table the start of the new season could see Gustav finally have the impact at City that we had all hoped for.

It's now or never in my opinion. Đurić and Taylor won't be fit enough to start games in 2 and a half weeks. Unless we sign another striker if he doesn't get a look in now then he never will. 

Young players that want to play should be applauded. It's commonly noted that some of the best players in the world have been playing regularly, regardless of level, throughout their formative years, and Engval should be rewarded for playing in the U21's by getting a decent rest, and some game time during the start of the season.

Agree with those saying give him a shot.  Simply put; he's already match fit, which with three weeks until kick off, it doesn't look like at least two of our first team forwards (Đurić and Taylor) will be.

Sounded keen to play football, and was diplomatic about why he went to Sweden, but was wildly non-committal at the end - might have just been being sensible, but sounded like he was very unsure if he'd be given a chance.

I think of it like this; if we didn't already have him, were we to sign him today, I think he'd look like an exciting prospect - hopefully we'll see the 'real' Gustav this year.

I have seen him play live twice and seen enough to convince me this lad has the ability to do well. He's still young and his first year has probably been an eye opener for him as to English football and the Championship. I would like to think he's going to get a fair crack of the whip now and get on with his career with BCFC otherwise sell him and use the money elsewhere and stop messing him about

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Question to someone more informed. Was the club he was on loan to a step up from us . Obviously the Swedish top league isn't the strongest. But what sort of standard are they 

Last time we played a team from the swedish League it was Helsingborg, we lost 4-0....

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Hopefully he will be given a chance. No one knows the details of what actually happened with regards his lack of game time, but let's hope that he gets an opportunity to contest for a place, and when it comes, he takes it.

Tammy is the reason

I keep forgetting how young he is, Gustav has only just turned 21! time is certainly on his side. I like the idea of giving him ago and I think LJ eventually will. 

I think the reason why it's been a quiet window so far in terms of incomings, Lee has put trust into his young players to perform with the likes of O'Dowda, Brownhill, Magnússon etc. He might be looking for quality over quantity? It's a big season for those players and Engvall is no different.

If true, very ballsy move. Hope it pays off!

1 hour ago, EmersonsRed said:

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/tenerife-tour-gustav-engvall-exclusive-interview/

Think he spoke excellently for someone so young and not English. Hope he gets his chance and succeeds. 

Seems like a nice lad and I hope he gets his chance. However, as he said he needs to "sit down with the gaffer" and talk through things so lets see how things pan out. More to this than meets the eye I think. 

Some great comments on here, positive towards Gus.

I disagree that it's now or never...he's 21, we have seen, what, 70 mins of him v Hull (which impressed me, I thought he was excellent in that game up against Maguire and Dawson, was it?).

Maybe don't send him out on loan to Sweden again, but I don't see the harm of him going to Portsmouth, Plymouth, Charlton or somewhere of a decent size, a team challenging up near the top (if, indeed, any of those three do challenge). If he went there till January - and we had cover of Taylor/Đurić fit, plus Fammy, Wilbs and maybe one new signing - and scored 5, 6, 7 goals... that's not now or never. He'd be in good shape to come back to us and look to get on the bench and work from there.

We are clearly building a framework of young, U23 players going out on loan in this country. The fact he's Swedish made sense he went back there for a bit (and was a success, by almost any standard, let's not forget). Allowing him to do the same as Vyner, Moore, Reid and Bryan (who went on loan to Plymouth aged 19/20 or so) would fit in to what we are doing with our U23s. He's 21, he's played 70 mins, he hasn't been tested in this country, it isn't now or never for me. The only shadow over all that is the price tag, but that wasn't of his making. That was clearly a cute move by whoever we signed him from, apologies I don't recall their name.

If he'd cost £200,000 or was English or had come through our academy, would we be saying it's now or never? Probably not. He's no clown, you can see that from the training shots (mind, it was only Frankie in goals!). I think he's got plenty of time to 'prove' himself/be given a chance, with us now or after a loan in this country.

Football has no patience these days. There's no bloody hurry! Good on him for his interview - no mean feat after what he's 'been through' and that he is only 21. Pretty sure I wasn't so level-headed at that age. Well, I know I wasn't.

I'm looking forward to maybe seeing him play a bit for us this season some time, and, if not this, then maybe next season.

4 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I disagree that it's now or never...he's 21, we have seen, what, 70 mins of him v Hull (which impressed me, I thought he was excellent in that game up against Maguire and Dawson, was it?).

Maybe don't send him out on loan to Sweden again, but I don't see the harm of him going to Portsmouth, Plymouth, Charlton or somewhere of a decent size, a team challenging up near the top (if, indeed, any of those three do challenge). If he went there till January - and we had cover of Taylor/Đurić fit, plus Fammy, Wilbs and maybe one new signing - and scored 5, 6, 7 goals... that's not now or never. He'd be in good shape to come back to us and look to get on the bench and work from there.

We are clearly building a framework of young, U23 players going out on loan in this country. The fact he's Swedish made sense he went back there for a bit (and was a success, by almost any standard, let's not forget). Allowing him to do the same as Vyner, Moore, Reid and Bryan (who went on loan to Plymouth aged 19/20 or so) would fit in to what we are doing with our U23s. He's 21, he's played 70 mins, he hasn't been tested in this country, it isn't now or never for me. The only shadow over all that is the price tag, but that wasn't of his making. That was clearly a cute move by whoever we signed him from, apologies I don't recall their name.

If he'd cost £200,000 or was English or had come through our academy, would we be saying it's now or never? Probably not. He's no clown, you can see that from the training shots (mind, it was only Frankie in goals!). I think he's got plenty of time to 'prove' himself/be given a chance, with us now or after a loan in this country.

Football has no patience these days. There's no bloody hurry! Good on him for his interview - no mean feat after what he's 'been through' and that he is only 21. Pretty sure I wasn't so level-headed at that age. Well, I know I wasn't.

I'm looking forward to maybe seeing him play a bit for us this season some time, and, if not this, then next season.

Agree. But when u spend a fee that big apparently. All of us were thinking can't wait to see him play . And it hasn't worked out for what ever reason. And we've all heard a few reasons why . It's just been a really disappointing signing. But as u say let's hope he kicks on. 

13 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I'm looking forward to maybe seeing him play a bit for us this season some time, and, if not this, then maybe next season.

6 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Agree. But when u spend a fee that big apparently. All of us were thinking can't wait to see him play . And it hasn't worked out for what ever reason. And we've all heard a few reasons why . It's just been a really disappointing signing. But as u say let's hope he kicks on. 

A disappointing signing only because he didn't feature as we perhaps expected when he signed. However the main reason for this was Tammy's form and given the hole we got into during the season ,was LJ really going to leave Tammy out just so Engval could get a run out? I can imagine the"feedback" on here regarding yet another selection cock up by LJ  if Engval's inclusion had resulted in him missing a sitter to win or draw a crucial game.

My feeling is that moving to a new country was a bigger deal than Engval himself  thought it would be and he perhaps didn't settle as well as he had hoped. This wasn't helped by him not featuring on the pitch.  Going back to Sweden gave him game time, he scored goals and from what he said, restored some confidence.

Hopefully him travelling to Tenerife means he is part of our plans, and I hope that his "chat with the gaffer" is to ensure that he wants to be at BCFC and for him to know that he has a future here.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

A disappointing signing only because he didn't feature as we perhaps expected when he signed. However the main reason for this was Tammy's form and given the hole we got into during the season ,was LJ really going to leave Tammy out just so Engval could get a run out? I can imagine the"feedback" on here regarding yet another selection cock up by LJ  if Engval's inclusion had resulted in him missing a sitter to win or draw a crucial game.

My feeling is that moving to a new country was a bigger deal than Engval himself  thought it would be and he perhaps didn't settle as well as he had hoped. This wasn't helped by him not featuring on the pitch.  Going back to Sweden gave him game time, he scored goals and from what he said, restored some confidence.

Hopefully him travelling to Tenerife means he is part of our plans, and I hope that his "chat with the gaffer" is to ensure that he wants to be at BCFC and for him to know that he has a future here.

Exactly. Spend 2 million. Doesn't play . Huge disappointment for the club and fans. No brainier 

10 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Clearly tammy was fantastic, and should have started when fit, but Đurić wilbs and taylor all got game time last season, so its not a case of tammy or engvall to play. Really hope he gets his chance though!

When he joined us he was was injured and didn't get a pre season training either (Not with us) and with the form of Tammy he was never going to get match fit enough and displace him... He is young and will get his chance. Can't see him going out on loan in league one or two because he was offered that last season and turned it down choosing to go back to Sweden instead as he wanted to impress enough to get into the under 21 tournament for the summer..... Hope he does impress LJ and is good enough for the championship and gets 15 plus 

I'm certainly one who'd like to see him given a go.  Like @INCRED, I've seen a couple of his appearances, and Hull especially against Curtis Davies too, I thought he showed plenty of promise to be good enough at our level.

No rush to loan him out, especially with injury problems.  There are 6 possibly 7 games before end of August.  He has an early opportunity to show LJ what he can do.

Technically he should be ahead of everyone else fitness wise, along with match sharpness. 

Nobody (at least I don't think) knows exactly what went on between Gustav and Johnson - if indeed there was anything that went on. A lot of rumours have been banded about, and as with anything, if you say something enough times, people will start believing it.

On the flip side, IF there was a bit of something between the two, then putting Gustav back into the team will prove to the neighsayers that there is no bad blood still. It will also mean that if Gustav comes in and starts banging them in for fun - the loan was a masterstroke. If he struggles - well then he can warrant selling him, or sending him back out on loan again.

Next week or so will be interesting ...

Archived