IGNORED

The official Atletico Unión Güímar v Bristol City FC pre-season friendly match day thread

Septic Peg

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Would be interesting to see who'd win though. My money would be on O'Dowda to pip Joe Bryan. 

I think it might be surprise - Mr Pisano seems to have an engine on him.

Someone should give Adam B a shout: top five players on 10k could be a feature...

11 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Could be just a knock or something.:fingerscrossed:

11 hours ago, WestonRobin said:

Don't think there is anything in it.

I don't think Bailey Wright has played this pre-season and needs minutes under his belt,  plus I think they wanted to learn more about Hegeler as a centre half. Good opportunity to do both.

Hope you're both right. My feelings on Flint are that we are a better team with him than without him. However I couldn't see us turning down 5 million + for him and would accept we'd be silly to do so.

13 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Really hope not. Remember all his terrible misses. And he's no way a striker.

I do feel like I disagree with literally everything you say, so I will try something different.

Don't you think limiting our striker options (both internal and external) to players who have never made terrible misses would be incredibly difficult if not impossible?

10 hours ago, samo II said:

Someone should give Adam B a shout: top five players on 10k could be a feature...

The result could be surprising, a 10k is a very different ask of the body than the intense stop-start within a football match. My money would be on Brownhill. I'd be interested to see who'd win though and in what time.

1 minute ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

The result could be surprising, a 10k is a very different ask of the body than the intense stop-start within a football match. My money would be on Brownhill. I'd be interested to see who'd win though and in what time.

I thought they did an article on that at the start of preseason? Pack won with Golbourne 2nd, not sure of the distance but it was a stamina run.

Well that was underwhelming, my main concern is that our main strikers are having a 'poor pre season', but will provide a ready made excuse(s).  I really don't understand why we have to play such poor opposition it offers nothing in judging our own level of performances and does not sharpen up players.

7 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Barnsley we play in our opening league campaign in under 2 weeks, their last two friendlies were against Coventry and Huddersfield, that I suppose would have provided a sterner test and given some useful feedback.

Was probably a bit of a trade off - if we chose to go to Tenerife (which by all accounts had amazing facilities) it limited us with a choice of opponents for friendlies. 

If we'd stayed in the UK and not gone on the training camp we could've had tougher friendlies.

12 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Trump? Strange question. I have no view but guess your trying to compare in some way with LJ? Well Trump was voted in, LJ would never of won any election  by city fans at the end of last season. So one is very popular and other a clueless manager with minimal popularity.

Any chance of providing details of your knowledge/expertise of professional football to justify such an opinion???

25 minutes ago, 1bristolcity said:

Barnsley we play in our opening league campaign in under 2 weeks, their last two friendlies were against Coventry and Huddersfield, that I suppose would have provided a sterner test and given some useful feedback.

Depends what you want from pre-season. I guess the trip to Tenerife was about patterns of play and combinations (and ability of players to assimilate and deploy that) more than quality of opposition.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was probably a bit of a trade off - if we chose to go to Tenerife (which by all accounts had amazing facilities) it limited us with a choice of opponents for friendlies. 

If we'd stayed in the UK and not gone on the training camp we could've had tougher friendlies.

Exactly..

1 hour ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Depends what you want from pre-season. I guess the trip to Tenerife was about patterns of play and combinations (and ability of players to assimilate and deploy that) more than quality of opposition.

Yes, I understand that, however it seems to be the pattern of late to line up against poor opposition which as far as getting any useful seems minimal. Mind you we have unearthed the next Tammy.:whistle:

While I agree with those that say tougher friendlies would give us, not just a sterner test , but better feedback for the coming season. I also see some good in the games we have played so far.
They have worked on fitness and patterns , then thrown opposition in to make it more realistic tests. With the 'lesser' teams it gives them more leeway to make mistakes and try things, against better sides more emphasis would be on the result, which everyone in general says doesn't matter. 
I think it would have been good to have a better side than Cheltenham to go along with Twente,  but only as a test as I really have no interest as a spectacle.
In LJ's defence (didn't think I'd ever type that) we didn't start too badly last year. 

It strikes me that if there is a tangible benefit to playing stronger sides in pre-season there should be a correlation with performance in the season that follows. Unless anybody can demonstrate that I remain of the view that the standard of opposition is irrelevant.

54 minutes ago, chinapig said:

It strikes me that if there is a tangible benefit to playing stronger sides in pre-season there should be a correlation with performance in the season that follows. Unless anybody can demonstrate that I remain of the view that the standard of opposition is irrelevant.

Yeah, as I say friendlies are meaningless  is the repeated phrase. The ones we have had has allowed LJ the opportunity to try shapes ,styles and formations etc , without worrying too much about defeat. 
While most would like bigger names, they are only , or mainly , for the fans or money making. 

29 minutes ago, cynic said:

Thats my thinking as well, but at least Cheltenham will get stuck in and want to win rather than just try to keep the score down.

I agree, a proper run out , although (hopefully) shouldn't be too much of a test. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

Agreed.

I doubt very much that the players are slapping each other on the back and celebrating.  Imagine they are more concerned about being able to run that bit longer, and get a chance to practice their technique.

It's good to see us playing a decent number of games; who we play, I'm less bothered - the next opponent against who the result actually matters is Barnsley.

9 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Watched 40 games last season.

:clap:........and that knowledge qualifies you to brand LJ as "a clueless manager"???

:facepalm:

I watched a similar number but I don't have the arrogance to think that I know more than those who are experienced and qualified in the professional game.

53 minutes ago, Thatch35 said:

Still waiting for someone to convince me...nobody can...he has no proven track record and was a failure last season. Keep making the one liners...you don't have anything else. 

.......but you didn't answer the question!!!

2 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

Still waiting for someone to convince me...nobody can...he has no proven track record and was a failure last season. Keep making the one liners...you don't have anything else. 

The point is Thatch, that you are out of your mind if you think now is the time to spout your message. It’s as bad as those on here professing, not predicting, that Bobby Reid will never be a championship striker before he has even played one game as a striker in the championship, especially considering how many different roles as a striker there are. Now, I was a LJ “in” fan until the second Cardiff game then a big LJ “out” fan, but that was when his getting sacked was theoretically probable. It is never going to happen in pre-season. So at the moment your moaning is as pointless as what we hear from Labour’s shadow cabinet, or the spouting of our forum’s resident soak. It’s daft too, because it will just lead people to ignore you when what you say may actually be relevant. Most of our major problems last season, as I see it, occurred due to LJ trying to fit LT into a team: Changing formations, players played out of position, an inconsistent team sheet etc. Talk of behind the scenes falling out, clicks etc – it does not surprise me that those Tomlin knew at Peterborough have all gone – Pembo, Little. That is no longer the case. So let’s see what happens in the first dozen games or so and then we can make an informed decision. I think I am not far off believing that the majority of fans feel as I do, that LJ still has a lot of convincing to do to win us back. But as he is our manager, let us see how we fair during the first dozen games, how bobby fairs, etc, then your argument may have relevance.

3 hours ago, Thatch35 said:

There's no arrogance...what is wrong with you people? My comments are the same as thousands. The constant changing of formation, constant changing of players, players out of position, changes in tactics, mad substitutions, players falling out with LJ, unable to manage talent, falling out with Pembo, records losing streak, wasting money on unproven players, blaming players post match....dropping players from the squad for weeks....this was every week. Saying he loves the club but wouldn't resign. Nice lad, but no way good enough for City....if City want to really push on. This Johnson love in had to stop. 

Why havent you put this much effort into your posts previously?

1 hour ago, Bobfish said:

The point is Thatch, that you are out of your mind if you think now is the time to spout your message. It’s as bad as those on here professing, not predicting, that Bobby Reid will never be a championship striker before he has even played one game as a striker in the championship, especially considering how many different roles as a striker there are. Now, I was a LJ “in” fan until the second Cardiff game then a big LJ “out” fan, but that was when his getting sacked was theoretically probable. It is never going to happen in pre-season. So at the moment your moaning is as pointless as what we hear from Labour’s shadow cabinet, or the spouting of our forum’s resident soak. It’s daft too, because it will just lead people to ignore you when what you say may actually be relevant. Most of our major problems last season, as I see it, occurred due to LJ trying to fit LT into a team: Changing formations, players played out of position, an inconsistent team sheet etc. Talk of behind the scenes falling out, clicks etc – it does not surprise me that those Tomlin knew at Peterborough have all gone – Pembo, Little. That is no longer the case. So let’s see what happens in the first dozen games or so and then we can make an informed decision. I think I am not far off believing that the majority of fans feel as I do, that LJ still has a lot of convincing to do to win us back. But as he is our manager, let us see how we fair during the first dozen games, how bobby fairs, etc, then your argument may have relevance.

Not something Thatch has to worry about.

Archived