IGNORED

So, a week and a bit to the big kick off...

And we have made 2 signings! 2 to add to the pile of shit that we had last season!!! One to replace Tammy which is practically impossible!

A couple of bids out there but nothing imminent!

Is the club for real?! This is worse than pre season under Cotts in our first season back in the championship!

When we eventually sign someone no doubt we will hear 'take time to settle in'. Yes, that's what pre season is for!!!

Don't panic though cus we will have Bobby Reid leading the line cus he can bang them in for fun against part timers/lower league opposition!

A few weeks back a was regretting not renewing my season ticket. Couldn't justify the cost as my enjoyment in going down had been completely destroyed. Now I feel relieved and sorry for anyone who did!

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

This is worse than pre season under Cotts in our first season back in the championship!

No its not, we were making bids for players we were never going to sign and wasting money, LJ and co this summer are trying to make sure we only sign the right players and not just getting another body in. Sorry but your post seems like a massive over dramatisation of the summer, if you don't want to come back so be it, but I actually prefer the club being critical about who we pay wages to. 

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

No its not, we were making bids for players we were never going to sign and wasting money, LJ and co this summer are trying to make sure we only sign the right players and not just getting another body in. Sorry but your post seems like a massive over dramatisation of the summer, if you don't want to come back so be it, but I actually prefer the club being critical about who we pay wages to. 

Do you not think targets would have been identified some months ago? Why are we 10 days away from the start of the season and we are still trying to identify the right player? If that's the case I would be even more concerned!

Was expecting LJ to say tonight he would hope to have 2 or 3 in by the weekend, what I didn't expect was nothing imminent!

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Do you not think targets would have been identified some months ago? Why are we 10 days away from the start of the season and we are still trying to identify the right player? If that's the case I would be even more concerned!

Was expecting LJ to say tonight he would hope to have 2 or 3 in by the weekend, what I didn't expect was nothing imminent!

He said we have a few bids out but nothing is imminent. It's not like we've sat on our hands all summer, I expect we've tried signing numerous players this summer which, for whatever reason haven't happened.  

Targets are identified and watched all year round by recruitment not just in the summer or approaching windows, databases of players for every position, just we're not the most attractive of teams in this division.  

Just now, hodge said:

He said we have a few bids out but nothing is imminent. It's not like we've sat on our hands all summer, I expect we've tried signing numerous players this summer which, for whatever reason haven't happened.  

Targets are identified and watched all year round by recruitment not just in the summer or approaching windows, databases of players for every position, just we're not the most attractive of teams in this division.  

So why only 2 signings to date this summer?

1 minute ago, formerly known as ivan said:

So why only 2 signings to date this summer?

Because Johnson said he wanted to work with a smaller squad this season and any signings would be quality as opposed to quantity which is what we required last summer. 

36 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

And we have made 2 signings! 2 to add to the pile of shit that we had last season!!! One to replace Tammy which is practically impossible!

Is the club for real?! This is worse than pre season under Cotts in our first season back in the championship!

When we eventually sign someone no doubt we will hear 'take time to settle in'. Yes, that's what pre season is for!!!

Don't panic though cus we will have Bobby Reid leading the line cus he can bang them in for fun against part timers/lower league opposition!

A few weeks back a was regretting not renewing my season ticket. Couldn't justify the cost as my enjoyment in going down had been completely destroyed. Now I feel relieved and sorry for anyone who did!

Bang on son, our club is a bloody shambles!!

3 minutes ago, David Brent said:

I'm happy with our business so far. We've not lost any key players and we've added a couple of, you would think, upgrades.

Glad we haven't signed the 7 or so that was suggested on here.

Tend to agree, sometimes you have to work harder with what you've got in these situations and that can bring better rewards.

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

Because Johnson said he wanted to work with a smaller squad this season and any signings would be quality as opposed to quantity which is what we required last summer. 

Sorry but I'm just not getting your point...

Obviously we would want to bring in better quality than we already have otherwise it would defeat to point of bringing them in. However that doesn't explain why these players haven't yet been signed!

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Because its not as easy as signing a player on football manager or fifa

It does remind me of our first season back under cotts, the same faces singing the same platitudes, I'm fearing the worst but hoping for the best but I think our cards are marked after last season, time will tell very soon.

22 minutes ago, hodge said:

And other teams have different transfer agendas/priorities. 

Agree....we are still a little fish in a big pond in this Championship, even though it is easy to think - new stadium, rich owner, etc.

We are not attractive to a number of players but we will gradually change this over time.  In League One we are the big fish.

Lets not forget that Prem clubs haven't announced their 25's yet, so always players (of all ages) suddenly become available.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree....we are still a little fish in a big pond in this Championship, even though it is easy to think - new stadium, rich owner, etc.

We are not attractive to a number of players but we will gradually change this over time.  In League One we are the big fish.

Lets not forget that Prem clubs haven't announced their 25's yet, so always players (of all ages) suddenly become available.

Some people don't seem to grasp this, spending £5m on one player, some people seem to think we should be doling it out regularly despite the fact its almost double our record transfer. Some also don't recognise that we spent the amount we did last season due to the fact we had a squad of about 18 players max at the end of the season previous. We had to spend or we'd have had a tiny squad or one full of free transfers. I still fully expect to see 2 or maybe 3 more players in for the rest of the summer depending on how we start. 

What you have to look at is the team who were already here had either their first taste of Championship Football or first taste of English Football last season. Players like Magnússon, Hegeler, Brownhill, O'Dowda, Lucic, Reid, Paterson (feel he has potential) & Moore.

These players will be better than last season, and we saw what these players could do in the run in towards the end of last season. 

I'm actually excited by this season, we may well struggle but I do feel we have a large group of players who will go on to be very good for us. I also like the fact we try and play a good style of Football as well. 

Keep the faith, UTC!

2 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

oh dear!

In all fairness to OP although he's a little over dramatic and this has been brought up numerous times, he has a point and it's fair to say the majority of us know it.
Looking at out signings we've brought Pisano in to replace Little, we've lost Tammy and gained and unproven Diedhiou and we've sold Tomlin, ultimately we are weaker than we were last season and with the season less than two weeks away from starting we're not seeing any solid talks of more players likely to sign any time soon.

We've had all of the preseason to this point to sign players and we've lost more than we've gained and arguably the quality was better before, so at what point are we allowed to become angry about this preseason?

My biggest issue is that we still don't seem capable of bringing in quality players, LJ and co may be refusing to sign players unless they are an improvement to our squad but with only two signings that surely means we can't bring in players to make this squad better..... right?

Breaking news: Transfer window to shut on 26th July. 

Whats that...? It doesn't..? There is still over a month until it shuts..?

oh, well then in that case, no, I'm not in the slightest bit concerned that we are making sure we sign the right players, rather than bloating the squad for the sake of it. 

Yes, I'd still like 2/3 new additions, so would LJ. Happy to wait for the right ones. 

5 hours ago, Spike said:

In all fairness to OP although he's a little over dramatic and this has been brought up numerous times, he has a point and it's fair to say the majority of us know it.
Looking at out signings we've brought Pisano in to replace Little, we've lost Tammy and gained and unproven Diedhiou and we've sold Tomlin, ultimately we are weaker than we were last season and with the season less than two weeks away from starting we're not seeing any solid talks of more players likely to sign any time soon.

I think it's absolutely fair to say that in terms of player-for-player swaps, it seems that Deedoo < Tammy and Pisano <?> Little (too early to tell on that one). Tomlin is another debate!

So in those simple terms, yes I would agree that our squad seems weaker. 

However I think that assessment overlooks the fact that our existing players won't be the same as they were last year. They're a young bunch, they will have improved. It also ignores the idea that we are a team, rather than a collection of players. Who knows, as a team things could be set to operate a lot more smoothly this year with everyone pointing in the same direction. I actually think this last point is critical, the most successful clubs are TEAMS not a series of individual players. It's not all about new signings, it's also improving what you have. 

27 minutes ago, City Ben said:

I think it's absolutely fair to say that in terms of player-for-player swaps, it seems that Deedoo < Tammy and Pisano <?> Little (too early to tell on that one). Tomlin is another debate!

So in those simple terms, yes I would agree that our squad seems weaker. 

However I think that assessment overlooks the fact that our existing players won't be the same as they were last year. They're a young bunch, they will have improved. It also ignores the idea that we are a team, rather than a collection of players. Who knows, as a team things could be set to operate a lot more smoothly this year with everyone pointing in the same direction. I actually think this last point is critical, the most successful clubs are TEAMS not a series of individual players. It's not all about new signings, it's also improving what you have. 

Hot news I`m afraid; the same goes for most other "teams" in this division; so its back to the "our squad seems weaker" statement.

LJ didn't really know who to play and where last season, looks like the same is likely this season, for instance who out of all our forwards, if fit, would you start with ?

Out of the rest I`d say only Flint, Bryan, Pack and the newbies were nailed on starters. (and 2 of them might not be here much longer)

This thread seems pretty standard OTIB - the two polar views being argued. I am definitely with the optimists for a number of reasons:

Firstly, we seem to be doing well in preseason.

Secondly,  as others have said, a number of young players go into this season with a year's experience of Championship under their belt.

One of our best players - Korey - has a preseason behind him.

Bobby Reid seems to have discovered the knack of finishing.

Two exciting signings in the form of Pisano and Diedhiou covering the two vital positions where we were weakest (some may argue there are still some)

Signs of some youngsters pushing on - in particular Kelly and Hinds.

Effectively a new signing in the form of Engvall - am genuinely excited to see what the season brings with him.

Still holding on to our best players in Flint and Bryan (though I'd actually be ok with either leaving for the right price).

I bet there are other positives too, it's just whether you want to focus on them rather than the negatives.

Overall feeling is underwhelmed and believe our squad is lacking leadership and proven experience.

I think, despite the 5 weeks to go argument, that we may well have missed out on most of the identified targets mainly to other clubs and LJ's 3rd window he asked for - so should be the final jigsaw pieces - is not going as planned.

I fear no more signings that would actually improve the squad until a panic filled transfer deadline day !!

Archived