IGNORED

So, a week and a bit to the big kick off...

9 hours ago, Mtimmy11 said:

No there not ,just the fans who can see though all the bull were being told

What "bull" are we being told..?

You honestly think that we are not actively pursuing more new players and that LJ suggests that we are, just to try and mug us off..?! 

Confident that the squad we have can compete with decent management and tactics.  It's the latter that concerns me more.

I really like to see a 3 5 2 formation at home and a 5 3 2 formation away, perhaps interchanging during games depending on the oppositions tactics.  I've never been a lover of 442 and 451 is simply defeatest.

44 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Confident that the squad we have can compete with decent management and tactics.  It's the latter that concerns me more.

I really like to see a 3 5 2 formation at home and a 5 3 2 formation away, perhaps interchanging during games depending on the oppositions tactics.  I've never been a lover of 442 and 451 is simply defeatest.

Sorry, gonna come across and sound all arrogant, but people go on too much about formations.  They are good for Football Manager and good as a basis of where players start, but the game is too fluid for that.  451 can become 433 with the ball as an example. 

Under Cotts City played 532, or was it 352, or was it 5212 (Freeman in behind) or 3412 (Litts and Bryan almost midfielders)?  In fact Little's starting position was often right wing, even when the ball was on the left wing.  It was very clever, because it gave Ayling acres of room to advance, especially if we worked it quickly from Williams, to Flint, to him.

442 is often viewed from above without the ball as more 4411 with one striker dropping off, or even 460 when both drop into midfield, especially away from home. 

Is 442 any more attacking that 451 when the 2 CMs never go past the halfway line?

i could go on.

Lets see how fluid the likes of Paterson are from left wing?  I'll be disappointed if he hugs the touchline.  I want him to come inside to drag his full back narrow to allow Bryan to overlap.  Whilst he is inside I want him to be clever with his runs to either get in behind the CBs or create space for our strikers by doubling up. 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, gonna come across and sound all arrogant, but people go on too much about formations.  They are good for Football Manager and good as a basis of where players start, but the game is too fluid for that.  451 can become 433 with the ball as an example. 

Under Cotts City played 532, or was it 352, or was it 5212 (Freeman in behind) or 3412 (Litts and Bryan almost midfielders)?  In fact Little's starting position was often right wing, even when the ball was on the left wing.  It was very clever, because it gave Ayling acres of room to advance, especially if we worked it quickly from Williams, to Flint, to him.

442 is often viewed from above without the ball as more 4411 with one striker dropping off, or even 460 when both drop into midfield, especially away from home. 

Is 442 any more attacking that 451 when the 2 CMs never go past the halfway line?

i could go on.

Lets see how fluid the likes of Paterson are from left wing?  I'll be disappointed if he hugs the touchline.  I want him to come inside to drag his full back narrow to allow Bryan to overlap.  Whilst he is inside I want him to be clever with his runs to either get in behind the CBs or create space for our strikers by doubling up. 

Prefer to see Patterson as a 10 centrally , ideally Dave but good post and in total agreement about hang ups re formations 

11 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Its really wing backs i like to see who can get around the back of tight organised defences.  Yes, fluidity is important, but our back 4 did look a bit vulnerable last season.

442can easily become an effective 451.

And wingbacks can leave gert big holes down the channels in behind that drag your big ugly CBs into unknown territory.  See Fulham home in 15/16 season!  No formation is 'king'.  Diablo doesn't work in real life (some of you will get the reference).

To be fair, I like wingbacks too.  I played a lot as a CB threesome, mainly because we usually had a man spare and we could go as tight as we'd like.  The wingbacks forced their Wife Midfielders back too.  But we were exposed by nippy strikers who ran the channels relentlessly.

Personally, I think the outcome of our season will come down to how much LJ has learnt from last season. I don’t think more signings, especially big money ones, would actually improve us. Remember Tomlin? Someone who played for the cameras rather than the team. I believe our best chance is a strong foundation of young energetic players like we have, making sure they are well drilled, trained to hunt the ball down in packs and to press high. We have to keep 442 (or arguably 4411) to protect our flanks and I hope the preseason has been spent teaching everyone their job in, as others have mentioned, a team. Bringing someone in at the eleventh hour is another shake up – look at last season where we had so many new players new to the championship. Hopefully they have now adapted. Repeating the “bedding down” process is only going to be detrimental to playing as a team. I think LJ has realised this when you look at the signings he has made – the Italian clearly likes the physical game, is very experienced in a football culture fairly similar to the English game, and our new striker is physically made for that too, hopefully meaning they can adapt quickly. People feel we will miss tomlin’s creativity, but what will move us up the league is consistency. Clean sheets. Resilience. Hard working players working hard for eachother; this enabled the form at the end of the season that saved us. Whilst I would like to see additions to our style of play, I feel we have the potential for this within the club – playing out from the back (mags, moore, Jens) More creativity in the middle of the park without sacrificing defensive solidity (jens, brownhill running his ass off.) More crossing for the big men, (paterson, o’dowda, full backs. Hopefully the Italian can help solve this problem from the right this season.)

Another point, I am glad at our lack of loan signings. Tammy was excellent, obviously, but he was playing for his future, his every minute of every game scrutinised by Chelsea. Matthews wasn’t playing for anything (whilst the season before it was in the hope of a Wales call up), Cott’s turned up for the first few games to show two fingers to Birmingham, Giefier, well, who knows. At the moment we have just Bristol city players playing for city and I hope that now includes Engvall too.

The first few games will be crucial, almost regardless of the results. If he maintains 442 or 4411 and the team appear very structured, well drilled, I would have high hopes for the season. Yet if he chops and changes the formation every game, experimenting with three at the back, only having one player on each flank rather than two, I would fear for a repeat of last season.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And wingbacks can leave gert big holes down the channels in behind that drag your big ugly CBs into unknown territory.  See Fulham home in 15/16 season!  No formation is 'king'.  Diablo doesn't work in real life (some of you will get the reference).

To be fair, I like wingbacks too.  I played a lot as a CB threesome, mainly because we usually had a man spare and we could go as tight as we'd like.  The wingbacks forced their Wife Midfielders back too.  But we were exposed by nippy strikers who ran the channels relentlessly.

You are still talking about football right? :fear:

12 minutes ago, Bobfish said:

Personally, I think the outcome of our season will come down to how much LJ has learnt from last season. I don’t think more signings, especially big money ones, would actually improve us. Remember Tomlin? Someone who played for the cameras rather than the team. I believe our best chance is a strong foundation of young energetic players like we have, making sure they are well drilled, trained to hunt the ball down in packs and to press high. We have to keep 442 (or arguably 4411) to protect our flanks and I hope the preseason has been spent teaching everyone their job in, as others have mentioned, a team. Bringing someone in at the eleventh hour is another shake up – look at last season where we had so many new players new to the championship. Hopefully they have now adapted. Repeating the “bedding down” process is only going to be detrimental to playing as a team. I think LJ has realised this when you look at the signings he has made – the Italian clearly likes the physical game, is very experienced in a football culture fairly similar to the English game, and our new striker is physically made for that too, hopefully meaning they can adapt quickly. People feel we will miss tomlin’s creativity, but what will move us up the league is consistency. Clean sheets. Resilience. Hard working players working hard for eachother; this enabled the form at the end of the season that saved us. Whilst I would like to see additions to our style of play, I feel we have the potential for this within the club – playing out from the back (mags, moore, Jens) More creativity in the middle of the park without sacrificing defensive solidity (jens, brownhill running his ass off.) More crossing for the big men, (paterson, o’dowda, full backs. Hopefully the Italian can help solve this problem from the right this season.)

Another point, I am glad at our lack of loan signings. Tammy was excellent, obviously, but he was playing for his future, his every minute of every game scrutinised by Chelsea. Matthews wasn’t playing for anything (whilst the season before it was in the hope of a Wales call up), Cott’s turned up for the first few games to show two fingers to Birmingham, Giefier, well, who knows. At the moment we have just Bristol city players playing for city and I hope that now includes Engvall too.

The first few games will be crucial, almost regardless of the results. If he maintains 442 or 4411 and the team appear very structured, well drilled, I would have high hopes for the season. Yet if he chops and changes the formation every game, experimenting with three at the back, only having one player on each flank rather than two, I would fear for a repeat of last season.

Couldn't agree more BF.  I;m not saying we are playoff candidates, but I think we'll see hard working players, ground-out points (when we got zilch last season) and a sense of squad harmony.

i'm looking forward to it.

5 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Answer to your question, "I have been here since before the Dolman Stand was built, I`ve followed my club to most grounds some of which aren't even here anymore; I was a season ticket holder in the Dolman for the first 2 yrs after it was built and I have been to many, many hundreds of games home and away. There is in fact no stand here now that was here when I first supported my club; I too have been to the top division and bottom division watching my club" so nah I wont go support Chelsea or anyone else.

Sad really that you mr ?mrs? miss? redapple should ask such a "stupid question" just because I don't share your present faith/belief in our current team/manager/owner but like everything that will pass one day and then maybe my hopes will return. :pray:

Well it's Mr and I guess I'm about the same age as you but probably look a bit younger as I don't worry so ! 

Its just that your so negative. I wouldn't say I have great faith or belief , but I do see a lot of potential in the current squad, I do see some sort of plan from the owner in competing with far wealthier opposition and others trying to buy success at the risk of financial suicide. I do like the Coaches enthusiasm for the game and the way he talks about football but admit that improvement in results are required. 

I like the new stadium , I like the atmosphere , I like that we can attract a sell out crowd for a nothing fixture and that attendances are up hugely in the last season. 

To me those are things to be optimistic about, it shows that a large majority share that and are ready to get behind the team. By all means don't happy-clap but don't be so persistently negative. 

I suspect a signing or 2 may arise yet and who knows there maybe a marquee signing that excites even you. 

Anyway I hope I can say 'told you so' at the end of the season and that your back on board as your a good fan who writes some good posts . 

21 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

And we have made 2 signings! 2 to add to the pile of shit that we had last season!!! One to replace Tammy which is practically impossible!

A couple of bids out there but nothing imminent!

Is the club for real?! This is worse than pre season under Cotts in our first season back in the championship!

When we eventually sign someone no doubt we will hear 'take time to settle in'. Yes, that's what pre season is for!!!

Don't panic though cus we will have Bobby Reid leading the line cus he can bang them in for fun against part timers/lower league opposition!

A few weeks back a was regretting not renewing my season ticket. Couldn't justify the cost as my enjoyment in going down had been completely destroyed. Now I feel relieved and sorry for anyone who did!

Brilliant mate

8 hours ago, EnderMB said:

On the face of it, we've made very few signings for this season.

In reality, we made loads of signings last season, and most of them were for this season or later. Engval, and Moore are examples of this, and they are two names I expect to see around the first team this season. Taylor too, now that he's had a full pre-season with us, and has had a taste of the level in the Championship.

Lee Johnson, quoted on the day, last August, that Engvall signed:

"This is another big transfer for us..."

"He's a Swedish international who has excellent finishing ability...."

"I'm sure he will adjust quickly to the pace and tempo of the Championship, and when he does he'll be really dangerous."

LJ thought he had a Championship player for last season, not one to keep up his sleeve. Back in August, last year.

11 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

The most successful clubs have TEAMS . 

Our most successful period in the last fifty years we had with a TEAM who played together regularly and knew each other's game , strengths and weaknesses.

Since those days the club have tried to buy a team and rarely had the courage to let the players present ' gel ' and improve their game .

I can , in part , understand this because we are nearly always either battling for promotion from the third division or fighting relegation in the second .

Maybe , just maybe , this year will be different and we run with a team. 

Plus quite a few players having their first season at this level and are young. The ability of the best coaches is to make his players better and keep them improving. I'm looking forward to seeing how much Paterson, Brownhill, O'dowda, etc improve over the season.

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

"I'm sure he will adjust quickly to the pace and tempo of the Championship, and when he does he'll be really dangerous."

LJ thought he had a Championship player for last season, not one to keep up his sleeve. Back in August, last year.

You know exactly whats gone on behind the scenes do you ? No you don't. you don't know that he struggled to settle in and adjust over here as was stated last season . Because he didn't play , according to some it was a shit signing by the club but 99,9% of fans haven't got a ******* clue what goes on.   

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

What "bull" are we being told..?

You honestly think that we are not actively pursuing more new players and that LJ suggests that we are, just to try and mug us off..?! 

Yes.he may be actively pursuing new players but we are now on 2nd or 3rd choices but he will make it out like they are  the best and he's been after them for years until there sat on the bench after 2weeks

16 minutes ago, Mtimmy11 said:

Yes.he may be actively pursuing new players but we are now on 2nd or 3rd choices but he will make it out like they are  the best and he's been after them for years until there sat on the bench after 2weeks

How do you know where they were on our wanted list..?

I'm pretty sure most clubs don't get their first choice signings. That's why you have a list of targets, rather than "a target"

We are a long way from being in a position where players come running to us as soon as they hear of our interest. That goes for about 95% of clubs. 

You trying to turn general transfer dealings into some kind of criticism of LJ makes you look childish, petty and with an agenda the size of the Lansdown stand! 

34 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

You know exactly whats gone on behind the scenes do you ? No you don't. you don't know that he struggled to settle in and adjust over here as was stated last season . Because he didn't play , according to some it was a shit signing by the club but 99,9% of fans haven't got a ******* clue what goes on.   

I know what Johnson said about Engvall to media outlets - because this is available with a quick google search -  when he signed him which very much appears to contradict EnderMB's impression that Engvall was always one of the "one for the future" signings last summer. 

That's why I used Johnson's own words on GE (a year ago) and not any of my own ideas about what's "gone on behind the scenes." I thought that was pretty clear, but perhaps not. 

You had a bad/long day?

5 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Brownhill was at Barnsley who were L1 the season before last.

Paterson has potential thats why I put him in that bracket, as does Reid.

So you're ignoring the fact that you said Paterson had zero Championship experience before last season but he'd played around 100 Championship games over five seasons before he joined Bristol City?! Yet you dismissed those 100 odd games as 'potential'?!

And Bobby has played plenty of Championship games before last season, and you ignore that too despite saying he'd played zero Championship games before last season?!

Strange.....

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So you're ignoring the fact that you said Paterson had zero Championship experience before last season but he'd played around 100 Championship games over five seasons before he joined Bristol City?! Yet you dismissed those 100 odd games as 'potential'?!

And Bobby has played plenty of Championship games before last season, and you ignore that too despite saying he'd played zero Championship games before last season?!

Strange.....

LIterally arguing for the sake of arguing now really. Just because a player has played 100 games in a League does not dismiss the fact they still have the potential to go up a level, they both haven't hit their peak years yet. You can't really say Bobby has been given a fair chance at this level in fairness, he has played in fits and starts, never a regular.

10 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

LIterally arguing for the sake of arguing now really. Just because a player has played 100 games in a League does not dismiss the fact they still have the potential to go up a level, they both haven't hit their peak years yet. You can't really say Bobby has been given a fair chance at this level in fairness, he has played in fits and starts, never a regular.

Fair enough, lets agree to disagree....but saying last season was Paterson's first in the championship when in fact it was his sixth is surely incorrect?! No?!

34 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I know what Johnson said about Engvall to media outlets - because this is available with a quick google search -  when he signed him which very much appears to contradict EnderMB's impression that Engvall was always one of the "one for the future" signings last summer. 

That's why I used Johnson's own words on GE (a year ago) and not any of my own ideas about what's "gone on behind the scenes." I thought that was pretty clear, but perhaps not. 

You had a bad/long day?

No Jack, just so many people saying the same crap, that Johnson has messed him about blah blah blah when the reality seems a lot different. Hopefully he'll get a run in the side and do well. It wasn't a dig at you just a reaction to about the thousandth post i'd seen regarding it. Like i said , apart from him coming here with a injury and not settling in straight away nobody really knows what happened.

49 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Don't wanna elongate this for the sake of it but you listed players who you thought had 'not played in the championship before last season..'

All I did was inform you that Paterson had played around 100 championship games before he joined us....and I told you that over half of Bobby's 70 championship appearances were before last season, and I told you that Brownhill had played in the championship before he joined us...

That's all - you were wrong to say those three had never played in the championship before last season...you were just wrong...forget all your comments about potential - you were wrong....

12 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

To be fair, he wasn't terrible on loan. I would imagine that Tammymania happened, and Engvall was told that he'd not be in the first-team, so he looked for a loan back in Sweden so he'd continue to perform in a league he knew well.

11 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

No Jack, just so many people saying the same crap, that Johnson has messed him about blah blah blah when the reality seems a lot different. Hopefully he'll get a run in the side and do well. It wasn't a dig at you just a reaction to about the thousandth post i'd seen regarding it. Like i said , apart from him coming here with a injury and not settling in straight away nobody really knows what happened.

Ok mate.

Archived