IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

1. From what I read it looks like a majority, though he would have been 3rd or 4th choice behind Terry and Samba

2. Well, quite, the point of having a squad is to have competition. I imagine managers like to have options and therefore difficult decisions to make.

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

1. From what I read it looks like a majority, though he would have been 3rd or 4th choice behind Terry and Samba

2. Well, quite, the point of having a squad is to have competition. I imagine managers like to have options and therefore difficult decisions to make.

you mean there`s going to be a lot of chopping and changing, like last season;

our newbie striker for instance is he going to play with Đurić (when fit)? no chance imo they are too alike; then there`s  Engvall (he wont be happy to sit on the bench), how about our new pre-season goal scoring find B Ried, certain to start/or not and don't forget our gas import Mr Taylor he may want a few games as well and Wilbs will want a run out or two.

Even more permutations in defence, so do you really think our man is going to find a settled side this side of xmas? ........after last seasons regular tombola rolls.

14 hours ago, chinapig said:

He is the replacement for Flint.

But it is certainly true that Villa need to move players out for financial reasons. I suspect they would rather have kept Baker and got rid of Elphick but needs must.

They had a scattergun approach to transfers last season and they are paying the price for short-termism, including signing Terry.

Or even Micah Richards!

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Or even Micah Richards!

Probably one of the Villa players who didn't have a relegation clause inserted into his contract....and they're still paying him £60k pw.  You're gonna struggle to offload those types.

8 hours ago, glos old boy said:

you mean there`s going to be a lot of chopping and changing, like last season;

our newbie striker for instance is he going to play with Đurić (when fit)? no chance imo they are too alike; then there`s  Engvall (he wont be happy to sit on the bench), how about our new pre-season goal scoring find B Ried, certain to start/or not and don't forget our gas import Mr Taylor he may want a few games as well and Wilbs will want a run out or two.

Even more permutations in defence, so do you really think our man is going to find a settled side this side of xmas? ........after last seasons regular tombola rolls.

So what you`re saying is that we should only have 18 players and that should be the squad every week - a bit like the season before last when we flogged Wilbs to death playing him week in week out when he clearly needed resting but we had no-one to replace him with.

I expect if we went down this road you would use that as a stick to beat the manager with too.

7 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So what you`re saying is that we should only have 18 players and that should be the squad every week - a bit like the season before last when we flogged Wilbs to death playing him week in week out when he clearly needed resting but we had no-one to replace him with.

I expect if we went down this road you would use that as a stick to beat the manager with too.

Not beating anyone, just putting my views on a forum. If everyone had the same views as the club/management there would be no need for this forum :dunno: or is this forum only for those who agree with everything and question nothing.

Please show me where I said we should have 18 players, as for the manager would love another "Alan Dicks" 13yr manager, will it be LJ very much doubt it, but I don't hate him, I don't even know him, I even hope he takes us up this season; don't THINK he will though and in my opinion we will be lucky to even repeat last seasons effort.

Just now, glos old boy said:

Not beating anyone, just putting my views on a forum. If everyone had the same views as the club/management there would be no need for this forum :dunno: or is this forum only for those who agree with everything and question nothing.

Not at all. It`s just that some people turn every single thing that comes out of the club at the moment into a negative - the Baker signing being the case in point here. As it seems obvious that Flint is leaving the club have acted proactively and got in a `championship ready` (I hate that expression!) replacement but are now being criticized by some for doing so.

Had they not done this those same posters would have accused the club of incompetence for allowing him to leave without having someone else in first a la Kodjia.

For the record, I don`t want LJ to fail and he still has a great deal to prove to me but I cannot for the life of me see why some people are just so full of doom and gloom before a ball has been kicked in the new season and insist on seeing negatives in everything. If I felt like that I`d have given up on City back in 1982.

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Not at all. It`s just that some people turn every single thing that comes out of the club at the moment into a negative - the Baker signing being the case in point here. As it seems obvious that Flint is leaving the club have acted proactively and got in a `championship ready` (I hate that expression!) replacement but are now being criticized by some for doing so.

Had they not done this those same posters would have accused the club of incompetence for allowing him to leave without having someone else in first a la Kodjia.

For the record, I don`t want LJ to fail and he still has a great deal to prove to me but I cannot for the life of me see why some people are just so full of doom and gloom before a ball has been kicked in the new season and insist on seeing negatives in everything. If I felt like that I`d have given up on City back in 1982.

Bottom line is LJ has yet to prove himself as a great/good manager, this could well be the last season for him to do so.

I would love us to smash this league this season but I`m not going to say I think we will when I don't, I respect those who think we will improve while other teams wont and our newbies will push us up the league. Maybe they will improve us and Baker will be better/replace Flint IF he goes, sorry but I think not.

2 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Bottom line is LJ has yet to prove himself as a great/good manager, this could well be the last season for him to do so.

I would love us to smash this league this season but I`m not going to say I think we will when I don't, I respect those who think we will improve while other teams wont and our newbies will push us up the league. Maybe they will improve us and Baker will be better/replace Flint IF he goes, sorry but I think not.

Fair enough, you have your view and I have mine - nowt wrong with that.

You have to admit though, it does get a bit tedious when the club/manager get slagged off for everything by some without any good reason other than what has happened in the past. It`s basically the knee jerk reaction to any news - `right, how can I turn this apparently good news around to make my negative point yet again` - that is starting to depress me.

I honestly reckon some would blame LJ if there weren`t any pasties in the fanzone one week.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Fair enough, you have your view and I have mine - nowt wrong with that.

You have to admit though, it does get a bit tedious when the club/manager get slagged off for everything by some without any good reason other than what has happened in the past. It`s basically the knee jerk reaction to any news - `right, how can I turn this apparently good news around to make my negative point yet again` - that is starting to depress me.

I honestly reckon some would blame LJ if there weren`t any pasties in the fanzone one week.

Each to their own as they say, don't be depressed life`s to short mate its only words on a forum; fair play to you tackling that horrendous journey, you deserve to see us step up this season, watch out for them caravans and stay safe.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Probably one of the Villa players who didn't have a relegation clause inserted into his contract....and they're still paying him £60k pw.  You're gonna struggle to offload those types.

To quote Gary Johnson, Richards seems to be one of those players who likes being a footballer but doesn't like playing football.

Happy with the money and the lifestyle, not fussed about getting fit and fighting for his place.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Listened to a discussion about Sunderland this morning

North East reporter explaining just how dire a number of recruits have been in last couple of years

Jack Rodwell (I'd forgotten him - acclaimed as the next great English player - now gone to cack)

Awful signing - on £60k / week , like Richards at Villla , and no relegation clause in his contract :facepalm:

Guess he won't be the only one

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Listened to a discussion about Sunderland this morning

North East reporter explaining just how dire a number of recruits have been in last couple of years

Jack Rodwell (I'd forgotten him - acclaimed as the next great English player - now gone to cack)

Awful signing - on £60k / week , like Richards at Villla , and no relegation clause in his contract :facepalm:

Guess he won't be the only one

It's also long been reported that there is a poisonous culture, led by the senior players. Poyet and Di Canio both tried to tackle it and were forced out. Perhaps if they had been backed instead of caving in to player power things would have panned out better.

I have great respect for Simon Grayson but he has a hell of a job on his hands.

5 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I have great respect for Simon Grayson but he has a hell of a job on his hands.

Their best signing this summer.

I suspect he will be able to make them competitive, despite the issues they face.  

Certainly don't see him sticking around if he isn't given the support to root out problematic players.

I don't think they sink like a stone on his watch.

On 08/04/2016 at 12:39, hodge said:

Okay £4m may have been slightly large, however people thinking Villa would be willing to give up a player who is capable in this division and is far less costly then their current players for a small fee seems unlikely. The other part of Baker being unrealistic is that currently we're supposedly paying half of his £20k per week wages, I can't see us stumping up those sorts of wages.

On 02/05/2016 at 09:05, Selred said:

The fee isn't the issue, it's the wages.

Is Baker really good enough to demand the rumoured £20,000 a week? Personally I don't think so.

He's a good player, but very similar to Flint in regards to kick and head away. Personally I'd rather we went for someone like Maguire, who would probably be on smaller wages. If not then Peace and a young CB like Mawson, combined who would match Bakers wages.

20 minutes ago, cheshire_red said:

I'm sure I read Baker was on a high wage when he was on loan here, £20k a week?

Correct (Assuming the info at the time was correct)

1 hour ago, cheshire_red said:

Just read that elsewhere so thought I would check and see if anyone else had seen / reported similar.

I think 400k was the amount villa recieved from us and a large fee went to the player himself to pay for his reduction in wages and loyalty bonus etc.... I may have dreamt that tho' I'll try and dig it out

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

I think 400k was the amount villa recieved from us and a large fee went to the player himself to pay for his reduction in wages and loyalty bonus etc.... I may have dreamt that tho' I'll try and dig it out

That was the figure I saw, value at that price. Does offset wages a bit but 10k ??

7 hours ago, cheshire_red said:

I'm sure I read Baker was on a high wage when he was on loan here, £20k a week?

Villa were in the Premier League then. I presume Baker's wages reduced when they were relegated (if they had him on a sensible contract). 

8 minutes ago, eardun said:

Villa were in the Premier League then. I presume Baker's wages reduced when they were relegated (if they had him on a sensible contract). 

Yep, that was eluded to elsewhere.  Makes sense, whereas the likes of Micah Richards probably hadn't got a wage reduction, and therefore they can't shift him.

Archived