IGNORED

Nathan Baker - SIGNING CONFIRMED

Son of Nob

This is a strange one, seems many villa fans think this is more to do with F.F.P and him not wanting to wait for Terry to get injured. Surely not another signed not to play in the 1st team so how many of our defenders can we play at once and who will be LJ`s flavour of the month and who is not? and out the door

4 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

This is a strange one, seems many villa fans think this is more to do with F.F.P and him not wanting to wait for Terry to get injured. Surely not another signed not to play in the 1st team so how many of our defenders can we play at once and who will be LJ`s flavour of the month and who is not? and out the door

He is the replacement for Flint.

But it is certainly true that Villa need to move players out for financial reasons. I suspect they would rather have kept Baker and got rid of Elphick but needs must.

They had a scattergun approach to transfers last season and they are paying the price for short-termism, including signing Terry.

3 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He is the replacement for Flint.

But it is certainly true that Villa need to move players out for financial reasons. I suspect they would rather have kept Baker and got rid of Elphick but needs must.

They had a scattergun approach to transfers last season and they are paying the price for short-termism, including signing Terry.

Flint is still here though although he could yet go, I would have spent the money on a better goalie but we could yet still do that as well.

Villa are going for it with Terry who yes wont last much longer but if he drives them up this year ( and he may well do as they will be in the mix with the 3 that came down) the jobs done and he will be replaced.

We are taking a much more gentle approach but we too are taking a risk and this season will make or break LJ.....we will see which policy is best.

6 hours ago, RedDave said:

£4m for Baker seems pretty fair to me. Sell Flint for £6m and we are slightly up after giving Swindon what they are owed 

Are we sure its £4m? People were saying £2m, then it rose to £3m. As sensible as it is for the club to not disclose transfer fees it drives me up the ******* wall!

1 minute ago, glos old boy said:

Flint is still here though although he could yet go, I would have spent the money on a better goalie but we could yet still do that as well.

Villa are going for it with Terry who yes wont last much longer but if he drives them up this year ( and he may well do as they will be in the mix with the 3 that came down) the jobs done and he will be replaced.

We are taking a much more gentle approach but we too are taking a risk and this season will make or break LJ.....we will see which policy is best.

For John Terry read David James? Fine for fans who crave 'big names' for the sake of it but on a reported £80k a week not worth the risk imo.

He had top players around him at Chelsea to cover up the cracks that appear with age but now he has to rely on an aging Samba. Or, God forbid, Micah Richards. :facepalm:

Of course any policy has risks but ours will at least improve our financial position while Villa are gambling with theirs. Nor do I see any coherent team building philosophy at Villa.

Still, maybe the Henri Lansbury rumours we used to get every year might come true now. :whistle:

50 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Are we sure its £4m? People were saying £2m, then it rose to £3m. As sensible as it is for the club to not disclose transfer fees it drives me up the ******* wall!

All the Villa fans are saying £4m.  Much more usual for a fee to leak from the selling club especially as the £4m has comforted some Villa fans who didnt want to see him go.  

These sort of things normally end up being true I find.

50 minutes ago, chinapig said:

For John Terry read David James? Fine for fans who crave 'big names' for the sake of it but on a reported £80k a week not worth the risk imo.

He had top players around him at Chelsea to cover up the cracks that appear with age but now he has to rely on an aging Samba. Or, God forbid, Micah Richards. :facepalm:

Of course any policy has risks but ours will at least improve our financial position while Villa are gambling with theirs. Nor do I see any coherent team building philosophy at Villa.

Still, maybe the Henri Lansbury rumours we used to get every year might come true now. :whistle:

Apparently Steve Bruce sanctioned the sale of Baker only after Terry and Samba proved to him that they were better and reliable. 

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Apparently Steve Bruce sanctioned the sale of Baker only after Terry and Samba proved to him that they were better and reliable. 

Really? Having played no competitive games? Or are you being ironic? If so please use an emoji, I'm a bit slow on the uptake. ;)

I still guess he would like to have kept Baker but is under pressure to sell.

1 hour ago, ZiderEyed said:

I'm sure we wavered some of the Kodjia money/add one/sell on perhaps? 

14 minutes ago, Judda said:

£4m?!?!

I hope not. It's a lot of money for someone who is prone to a red card....

My guess would've been  £1-2m. Even in these days of silly money prices. 

Don't think £1-2 m is realistic.

As mentioned previously I doubt any cash actually changed hands - it would be an adjustment on the terms on the Kodjia deal.

20 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I guess after friendlies and training. THIS IS NOT A JOKE

21 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I guess after friendlies and training. THIS IS NOT A JOKE

Thanks for clarifying and for the CAPS as I'm a bit deaf too. ;)

In all seriousness, I'm sure you're right but my point really is that given the choice of keeping Baker, Elphick or Richards he would have kept Baker but his hand has been forced, partly by Villa's finances and partly by Baker wanting first team football.

2 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

As you say it's going up by the minute, 2 m rising to 3m if all sorts of add ons kick in I've heard, I think Villa fans making themselves feel good tbh

Baker saying nice things about LJ in the Post:

"And I had a phone call with the gaffer and spoke to him about what his ambitions were and, like I say, that's more than enough for me."

"He makes you full of confidence, he believes in what you do, he brings in players that he wants and he knows what he wants to do. That's the main thing."

Surprised at LJ`s comments that our latest multi million pound recruit wasn't even fit enough to play 1/2hr in last nights game, having only played a few mins in pre-season games.

Didn't want to risk him apparently, so we have to get the guy fit first.....

Some villa fans reckon him to be a bit of a sick note...hmmmm we will see.

12 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Surprised at LJ`s comments that our latest multi million pound recruit wasn't even fit enough to play 1/2hr in last nights game, having only played a few mins in pre-season games.

He is suspended for the Barnsley game and if Aden is off doesn`t it make sense to play the CBs that are likely to start next Saturday.

Of course, that reason wouldn`t allow you to slag LJ off so it`s probably not that.

31 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

He played 34 first team games last season, which doesn't seem very sick note. And Villa fans have been complimentary about him, most apparently sorry to see him leave.

9 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

He is suspended for the Barnsley game and if Aden is off doesn`t it make sense to play the CBs that are likely to start next Saturday.

Of course, that reason wouldn`t allow you to slag LJ off so it`s probably not that.

Wasn't me who said hes not fit to play 1/2hr in a friendly it was your hero

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

He played 30 first team games last season, which doesn't seem very sick note. And Villa fans have been complimentary about him, most apparently sorry to see him leave.

Like this forum fans have different views; some like him others say things like "they will save hundreds on bandages now hes gone"

Just now, glos old boy said:

Like this forum fans have different views; some like him others say things like "they will save hundreds on bandages now hes gone"

I can only repeat the fact that he played 34 games (not 30, I have corrected my figure), which seems to be the most relevant evidence of his recent fitness record.

14 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

Still, there seems to be some consternation:

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/28/we-might-regret-this-villa-fans-send-messages-to-tony-xia-on-twi/

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Of course some, but there are two sides to everything, we wouldn't of got a sniff if they hadn't signed Terry;

Given that we have all players fit who plays where at the front? back? and middle? as the NB misses the first game anyway who gets dropped after for him to play? as he cost?..... well quite a bit.

Same goes for the strikers,  the players currently injured, do they play when fit? difficult choices to be made, what is our best team, it aint going to be easy

Archived