IGNORED

Tough test?

Top Robin

Bit concerned we haven't had a proper test pre season and Barnsley may provide a rude awakening. Even Twente were poorish or were we so good that we made them look that way. Whatever, any Championship league game is going to be sterner. 

Twente would normally be a side who would be a steady side in the Premier League in terms of ability.

But it's hard to gauge how strong they are now. Their squad sounds like it was heavily depleted. Their financial troubles mean that despite finishing in a qualifying place, they are banned from Europe and have lost some of their best players as a result.

• Admin

@Top Robin Barnsley have had a torrid pre-season and lost 4-0 at Rotherham at the weekend

Their Manager stated only one of the team that got beat could be picked for the game with us - the rest would have to show passion and desire to warrant just being in the squad alone

21 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Bit concerned we haven't had a proper test pre season and Barnsley may provide a rude awakening. Even Twente were poorish or were we so good that we made them look that way. Whatever, any Championship league game is going to be sterner. 

Panicking already?!

1 minute ago, phantom said:

@Top Robin Barnsley have had a torrid pre-season and lost 4-0 at Rotherham at the weekend

Their Manager stated only one of the team that got beat could be picked for the game with us - the rest would have to show passion and desire to warrant just being in the squad alone

Christ, we're going to end up playing their u18s or something 

There is no correlation as far as I can see between pre season and competitive games. The league the opposition play in should make no difference to what the pre season games are used for.

And even if there were, if we played a Prem side for example then there's a good chance they'd field many fringe players/youngsters anyway which would negate the point of playing a game vs a 'better' team. 

I personally think we've had a good pre season. Granted the opposition hasn't been the strongest. But that personally doesn't bother me . Players seem super fit and raring to go . I wouldn't read to much into Barnsley getting whacked 4 0 . If we got beat 4 0 Friday this place would of been in meltdown mode . City are ready let's get it on . COYR . 

I'd agree that the Twente result is probably our "tough test" of the preseason. As always, the competitiveness of the Ededivise is to be debated, but I'm sure that it's more than good enough for a mid-to-bottom table Championship side.

It's a tricky one to manage, especially with a younger side. Do you play really strong teams to prepare and sacrifice player confidence going into the season, or do you build up to a single difficult opponent and potentially not challenge yourself going into a season?

Archived