IGNORED

Humble suggestions re: women's football

Thatwasclose

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You didn't read my post.

There are traditional sports for girls - shinty, netball, hockey etc -which give them the involvement in sport, and exercise required.

Why are they seemingly being pushed to play football, a physical game the majority are not naturally suited to playing?

When I played hockey against the girls they hit the shit out of me football wasn't that physical even back in GG's day.

3 minutes ago, reddoh said:

When I played hockey against the girls they hit the shit out of me football wasn't that physical even back in GG's day.

Hockey is brutal. One of those sports that could be mixed.

25 years since I last played. I reckon I still have some of the bruises handed out by the women.... evil wenches :)

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

You didn't read my post.

There are traditional sports for girls - shinty, netball, hockey etc -which give them the involvement in sport, and exercise required.

Why are they seemingly being pushed to play football, a physical game the majority are not naturally suited to playing?

I did read your post. You did not read mine or respond to its points.

Football is a highly aerobic activity, it is social, it promotes team building and above all its fun ... Perfect for many kids.

Kids will do little they do not enjoy, you cannot (it shows in their body language and performance) push children into football, you either like/love it or not.

I am struggling to understand your borderline prejudice against young girls playing football.

Why are they seemingly being pushed to play football, a physical game the majority are not naturally suited to playing? That is actually ridiculous or a wind up. Females are suited to playing football. Physically and mentally. Physically it could be argued as many endomorph males are unsuited to play football as females ... Should they stop as well?

13 minutes ago, TRL said:

Hockey is brutal. One of those sports that could be mixed.

25 years since I last played. I reckon I still have some of the bruises handed out by the women.... evil wenches :)

40 years since I played them and still limping :P

46 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You didn't read my post.

What utter rubbish. By that reckoning Lionel Messi, probably the greatest footballer of all time, is too slight to play the game. He should give it up and become a jockey instead?

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You didn't read my post.

football is for all. you against City running disability and womens teams because they are not as strong as you think they should be? steady now.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

You didn't read my post.

Perhaps because they want to play football. Plus they play rugby too, these days. When I was at school we weren't allowed to play football, we had to play hockey (which I did enjoy immensely) and netball (not so much). 

3 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Perhaps because they want to play football. Plus they play rugby too, these days. When I was at school we weren't allowed to play football, we had to play hockey (which I did enjoy immensely) and netball (not so much). 

One of my favourite anecdotes is that my sister was a hooker in Leicester.

she played for Leicester Ladies(as a hooker).

back then the ball went in straight and she had a job to do.

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I'm so sick of clicking Football on the BBC website and it being filled up with Women's Football. Sometimes I like to take an interest in the ladies football, but mostly I just want to check the news of the real stuff.

Just now, JammyOne said:

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but I'm so sick of clicking Football on the BBC website and it being filled up with Women's Football. Sometimes I like to take an interest in the ladies football, but mostly I just want to check the news of the real stuff.

Well the Euros are on and we're doing quite well, in other news a bunch of blokes are pissing about trying to make themselves even more money and there's a lot of pointless rumours and puff pieces.

One's about football and as for the other you may as well read the synopsis of Eldarado.

• Admin

The other thing the BBC are doing now, which I don't personally like, is bringing in more and more women commentators- some of their commentary is of a decent standard, no issue with that, I just can't stand the high pitched squawking when they get excited by a goal or other incident, really spoils the commentary for me and it's creeping into other sports as well.

8 hours ago, Maesknoll Red said:

The other thing the BBC are doing now, which I don't personally like, is bringing in more and more women commentators- some of their commentary is of a decent standard, no issue with that, I just can't stand the high pitched squawking when they get excited by a goal or other incident, really spoils the commentary for me and it's creeping into other sports as well.

I find Clive Tyldesley the worst, Johnathan Pearce squawks too. I prefer the less is more approach. 

If people like women's football/ cricket then fine there choice. But me personally I don't. I love football I love watching cricket. But with women's sport it just hasn't got the excitement or quality for me . And the majority of men probably feel the same. I can't talk for women but even females prefer men's sport ( I imagine). One thing that puzzles me . How does it financially survive ( league based ) . Is it government funded. Because the gates are pathetic for how it's portrayed. Congratulations to England women cricket and football teams. But u can't force people to like something 

19 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

If people like women's football/ cricket then fine there choice. But me personally I don't. I love football I love watching cricket. But with women's sport it just hasn't got the excitement or quality for me . And the majority of men probably feel the same. I can't talk for women but even females prefer men's sport ( I imagine). One thing that puzzles me . How does it financially survive ( league based ) . Is it government funded. Because the gates are pathetic for how it's portrayed. Congratulations to England women cricket and football teams. But u can't force people to like something 

You can't necessarily talk for men either.  Why do you feel so bitter about it?  Women are entitled to play whatever sport they like, and the fact that there is little or no inter-competition with men, even in sports where strength isn't a factor, is largely due to sport being run by and for men over decades, if not centuries.  I enjoyed the women's competition at Wimbledon this year far more than the men's, and across most of the events at the olympics women's sport is just as entertaining as men's (and the sooner they get rid of the absurd and degrading beach volleyball the better).

i used to play hockey (laughably described on this thread as a woman's game) to quite a high standard, and got absolutely battered in the occasional game against women.  Yes women's cricket and football is not up to the men's standard yet, but it's getting better and I don't think patronising threads like this do anything except highlight the problems that some sports have in promoting equality.

26 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Not talking for anyone as I said. Statistics of attendances speak volumes. You like it. Good  for you. But because I don't I'm bitter and patronising because my view isn't politically correct. Get a grip 

Statistics of attendances  (?) do not speak volumes unless you add variables e.g Women's football has not been established for over a hundred years and has not been subject the blanket coverage the mens game has. The coverage and resource the women's game gets is minute in comparison, however resource is a difficulty at grass roots level for all.

As another poster put it sport is for all regardless of gender or disability.

Ok, here's the woman's perspective. 

So I used to kick a ball about when I was a kid. I didn't do it competitively (ie school teams etc) because I had no time (I had other commitments) and because I wasn't brilliant tbf. But I could hold my own and if I had joined a team, I probably would have developed my game and got better. I used to play centre back or LB so wasn't bothered about clattering anyone...

Plenty of my girl mates would play competitively, inc one who played for Rovers with the boys iirc and she was such a great footballer.

I admit, I watch the fellas game more than the birds because of the accessibility and coverage. That's not knocking the women's teams. The women's game is just as skilful. I hope that with development and success (such as the Lionesses at the Euros), women's football can be brought even more mainstream and more women can choose to take up the game if they want.

9 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Ok, here's the woman's perspective. 

So I used to kick a ball about when I was a kid. I didn't do it competitively (ie school teams etc) because I had no time (I had other commitments) and because I wasn't brilliant tbf. But I could hold my own and if I had joined a team, I probably would have developed my game and got better. I used to play centre back or LB so wasn't bothered about clattering anyone...

Plenty of my girl mates would play competitively, inc one who played for Rovers with the boys iirc and she was such a great footballer.

I admit, I watch the fellas game more than the birds because of the accessibility and coverage. That's not knocking the women's teams. The women's game is just as skilful. I hope that with development and success (such as the Lionesses at the Euros), women's football can be brought even more mainstream and more women can choose to take up the game if they want.

I would've loved to play footie at school - it was strictly hockey and netball for us but I must say I loved hockey. Actually being able to participate in a team game, hurtling up and down a sizeable patch of grass brandishing a stick was amazing, I would've loved to play football too - and probably been just as bad at it. Playing hockey against the boys was hilarious as they'd occasionally rugby tackle you if they forgot the rules…

16 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I don't understand why girls are seemingly being encouraged/pushed to play football?

In my day the boys played football in the playground and,  bar the occasional tomboy, the sporty girls - most weren't particularly - much preferred to play shinty and netball.

Football is the most popular sport in the world. Stands to reason that it's popular with girls as well as boys so why shouldn't they be encouraged to play it? And if they want to play hockey or netball or shinty, they should be able to do that too. The only reason a girl wouldn't be as 'good' at football as a boy is because they haven't had access to the same opportunities to receive coaching and to play. That seems to be changing now. The only difference in theory are physical attributes and that is a) not something that is applicable when kids are younger and b) something we're told shouldn't matter in the modern game, i.e. Skill trumps strength. That seems to be changing now. 

What I would agree is futile is the way they're trying to promote the women's professional game. It's in competetion with some of the most popular professional sports leagues in the world and the product is going to be far inferior. I guess there needs to be some degree aspiration for young female footballers, but unless you can differentiate the product from men's football and not just go "Look! More football! But with girls", it's doomed to failure imo 

21 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's because most people aren't remotely interested in watching something of such poor quality, and find the prominence and publicity it is given on BBC radio, for instance, a source of irritation.

BBC have an obligation to represent minority interests and be at the vanguard of promoting things like woman's football decade of the way it is funded.  Its also probably cheap.

I have no interest soap operas and a multitude of other programmes but I don't find them irritating.  I just don't watch them.

My daughter plays girls football and it is a much more enjoyable experience than when I watched my son.  The girls are skillful and committed, but a part of it is probably because comparatively speaking a more successful team than my lad's.

They are different, but I find them both enjoyable.

1 hour ago, chipdawg said:

Football is the most popular sport in the world. Stands to reason that it's popular with girls as well as boys so why shouldn't they be encouraged to play it? And if they want to play hockey or netball or shinty, they should be able to do that too. The only reason a girl wouldn't be as 'good' at football as a boy is because they haven't had access to the same opportunities to receive coaching and to play. That seems to be changing now. The only difference in theory are physical attributes and that is a) not something that is applicable when kids are younger and b) something we're told shouldn't matter in the modern game, i.e. Skill trumps strength. That seems to be changing now. 

What I would agree is futile is the way they're trying to promote the women's professional game. It's in competetion with some of the most popular professional sports leagues in the world and the product is going to be far inferior. I guess there needs to be some degree aspiration for young female footballers, but unless you can differentiate the product from men's football and not just go "Look! More football! But with girls", it's doomed to failure imo 

The goals should be smaller as women are smaller, I don't see many 6ft 4 plus women playing the game 

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

The goals should be smaller as women are smaller, I don't see many 6ft 4 plus women playing the game 

If every game was finishing 5-4 or something you could argue that, but the womens game typically follows the same trends as the mens game with 1-0 and 2-1 being very common scorelines. If you made the goals smaller then 0-0 would be more and more common. If anything your suggestion is patronising to women.

14 minutes ago, Rob k said:

a) to what end? More goals would surely equal more entertainment (not that 'more goals' happens)

b) as with the men's game, the short-arses probably aren't going to end up as keepers. And there's many a sub-6ft goalkeeper in the men's game, including Bristol City's current number 1

On 7/31/2017 at 20:17, Thatwasclose said:

I think women's football would be as big as men's football if as many women supported it I.e similar numbers to men who support men's football

this is not to say men shouldn't support women's football (as there are millions of female fans who love the men's game) but simply pointing out that maybe women's football needs to make a better effort getting more women to support rather than despairing that existing male fans don't care much for their sport.

I think this is a very important factor.

I was listening to (insert name of disgruntled female five live presenter here) after the France game, bemoaning the lack of support for the team and the paraphernalia in supermarkets etc. and i thought surely it starts with you? Which team does she or her girlfriends support week in week out like i do with City? How many women have flooded the Netherlands to support the team?

My wife played football and we're keen supporters of the national team, but thats where it ends. The truth is people just arent that interested in it because it isnt  a great standard.

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

I think this is a very important factor.

I was listening to (insert name of disgruntled female five live presenter here) after the France game, bemoaning the lack of support for the team and the paraphernalia in supermarkets etc. and i thought surely it starts with you? Which team does she or her girlfriends support week in week out like i do with City? How many women have flooded the Netherlands to support the team?

My wife played football and we're keen supporters of the national team, but thats where it ends. The truth is people just arent that interested in it because it isnt  a great standard.

maybe with time and coverage the womens game could be like the states. but does it matter? the opening post is a bit odd. more people go fishing than play football. so what if the banks are not covered with thousands roaring (scaring the fish) the anglers on !!! I am enjoying watching an English football team not being crap. hopefully that will lead to more playing football instead of getting pissed up fat and wobbling round town in their later years.  

25 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

If every game was finishing 5-4 or something you could argue that, but the womens game typically follows the same trends as the mens game with 1-0 and 2-1 being very common scorelines. If you made the goals smaller then 0-0 would be more and more common. If anything your suggestion is patronising to women.

If you really want to move the game on, and having a daughter im all behind it, then try and help the one area where the game is still seen as a joke which unfortunately is the goalkeeping. Nothing patronising about it, it would help. 

1 minute ago, Rob k said:

If you really want to move the game on, and having a daughter im all behind it, then try and help the one area where the game is still seen as a joke which unfortunately is the goalkeeping. Nothing patronising about it, it would help. 

apart from the Scots getting battered by England the euros have shown there are not that many goals being scored. England have conceded one.

Archived