IGNORED

Humble suggestions re: women's football

Thatwasclose

2 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

maybe with time and coverage the womens game could be like the states. but does it matter? the opening post is a bit odd. more people go fishing than play football. so what if the banks are not covered with thousands roaring (scaring the fish) the anglers on !!! I am enjoying watching an English football team not being crap. hopefully that will lead to more playing football instead of getting pissed up fat and wobbling round town in their later years.  

I think the point is, whilst there is a chance that there is some male conspiracy to choke women's football, there is also the chance that women on the whole just arent that bothered either.

Mens football is a far, far better standard and both men and women would rather watch this.

Its is what it is, no sexist conspiracy.

Just now, 054123 said:

I think the point is, whilst there is a chance that there is some male conspiracy to choke women's football, there is also the chance that women on the whole just arent that bothered either.

Mens football is a far, far better standard and both men and women would rather watch this.

Its is what it is, no sexist conspiracy.

most of the population are not bothered about football look at Bristol!!  asked earlier should City close down their women and disabled teams because hardly anybody watches them??? isn't football more than that?

3 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

apart from the Scots getting battered by England the euros have shown there are not that many goals being scored. England have conceded one.

The goalkeeping is awful and this is right through out the game and i cannot explain why.

I have friends who have played at national level and coaches who coached to the second tier and they all privately say the same.

Again, i could not begin to tell you why when anatomically, we're pretty much the same.

15 hours ago, RumRed said:

Well the Euros are on and we're doing quite well, in other news a bunch of blokes are pissing about trying to make themselves even more money and there's a lot of pointless rumours and puff pieces.

One's about football and as for the other you may as well read the synopsis of Eldarado.

Spot on. It must be laborious having to click twice - twice! - to get to the real football news.

9 minutes ago, Rob k said:

If you really want to move the game on, and having a daughter im all behind it, then try and help the one area where the game is still seen as a joke which unfortunately is the goalkeeping. Nothing patronising about it, it would help. 

But then you would get less goals. You cannot get away from that. Yes the standard of keeping isn't as good, but neither is the standard of shooting. It balances out

1 minute ago, Trueredsupporte said:

most of the population are not bothered about football look at Bristol!!  asked earlier should City close down their women and disabled teams because hardly anybody watches them??? isn't football more than that?

I dont get your point?

A huge portion of the population are bothered about football, even in Bristol!

If you took a poll asking what their hobbies/interests were, football would be in the top 5 things listed. How they consume it is the worrying factor, but to the powers that be it doesn't matter as long as they consume something.

Again, the point raised is that women dont support womens football to any significant degree. You cant moan on public radio about the game not getting a fair billing when the presenter themself as a woman, makes no effort to support her local team or follow the national team.

I am not obliged to follow disabled/womens/junior football, just because i devoutly support Bristol City FC. 

12 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

I dont believe anyone is suggesting that. What I think many on here are saying is that womens football gets an inordinate amount of coverage considering the quality of the product on offer, and the reporting of it is frankly patronising when achievements are compared to those of the mens game.

Its a free cpountry - if it was all that then people would go and watch it. The fact that in the main they dont is because of the quality compared to alternative sources.

Instead of bigging up the top level of womens football and pretending its something that it isn't, more girls and women should be encouraged to play sports full stop.

1 minute ago, 054123 said:

I dont get your point?

A huge portion of the population are bothered about football, even in Bristol!

If you took a poll asking what their hobbies/interests were, football would be in the top 5 things listed. How they consume it is the worrying factor, but to the powers that be it doesn't matter as long as they consume something.

Again, the point raised is that women dont support womens football to any significant degree. You cant moan on public radio about the game not getting a fair billing when the presenter themself as a woman, makes no effort to support her local team or follow the national team.

I am not obliged to follow disabled/womens/junior football, just because i devoutly support Bristol City FC. 

the overwhelming majority of the population don't watch or play football. they do not.

the womens game v the mens is hardly matured as its been pro for ?? not very long at all and maybe given time it could match the states  where attendances can be bigger than the mens game. but it doers not really matter. football is now very popular as a sport to play for females as well. its growing this is brilliant. that has been done off little coverage by the media v the mens game and hardly the same £££££ put into it. one way of growing womens and girls football has to be promoting the success of the ladies v blah goals are too big, keepers are crap all negatives. Growing game England doing well Lucy Bronze looks to be a world star centre backs look like they could defend v tanks  thats brilliant well done the women.

Seriously  City had a full back with less skill than that Lucy Bronze has in the starting eleven last season falling over the ball and running it out of play. A women who can play. Top marks. Positive positive positive.

and still nobody has answered should City  shut down the ladies and disabilities teams because hardly anybodu watches them!!!

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I dont believe anyone is suggesting that. What I think many on here are saying is that womens football gets an inordinate amount of coverage considering the

a handful are saying and getting shot down.

local coaches will say there  has been a big rise in girls playing football. all over the country that how its going isn't it? isn't that a great thing? worth covering? all yes from I.

4 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

the overwhelming majority of the population don't watch or play football. they do not.

the womens game v the mens is hardly matured as its been pro for ?? not very long at all and maybe given time it could match the states  where attendances can be bigger than the mens game. but it doers not really matter. football is now very popular as a sport to play for females as well. its growing this is brilliant. that has been done off little coverage by the media v the mens game and hardly the same £££££ put into it. one way of growing womens and girls football has to be promoting the success of the ladies v blah goals are too big, keepers are crap all negatives. Growing game England doing well Lucy Bronze looks to be a world star centre backs look like they could defend v tanks  thats brilliant well done the women.

Seriously  City had a full back with less skill than that Lucy Bronze has in the starting eleven last season falling over the ball and running it out of play. A women who can play. Top marks. Positive positive positive.

and still nobody has answered should City  shut down the ladies and disabilities teams because hardly anybodu watches them!!!

Enough people watch football to support a multi billion pound industry and wins almost all ratings wars when the big games are on. That is all you need to know.

In respect of the other teams, no they shouldnt be shut down, but dont complain that very few people choose to watch them, they're not obliged to.

I like to watch what i believe to be good films, not every piece of crap put out there simply because they are there.

And still nobody has answered as to why woman in this country dont wish to support the womens game. As i say the 5live presenters were very vocal in their angst, but i'm pretty sure have made no effort to follow there local womens team. 

6 minutes ago, Trueredsupporte said:

a handful are saying and getting shot down.

local coaches will say there  has been a big rise in girls playing football. all over the country that how its going isn't it? isn't that a great thing? worth covering? all yes from I.

If you say its a good thing then i'll go with you. The point is freedom of choice. Women will utlimately choose to do what they want. 

In 2 generations time, maybe women will actual follow womens football and not bemoan choosing not to.

21 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I dont believe anyone is suggesting that. What I think many on here are saying is that womens football gets an inordinate amount of coverage considering the quality of the product on offer, and the reporting of it is frankly patronising when achievements are compared to those of the mens game.

Its a free cpountry - if it was all that then people would go and watch it. The fact that in the main they dont is because of the quality compared to alternative sources.

Instead of bigging up the top level of womens football and pretending its something that it isn't, more girls and women should be encouraged to play sports full stop.

Female sport including football is hardly mainstream. Male sport dominates the media.

A rise in coverage would reflect the rise in popularity of female football. Twenty five years ago there were hardly any football teams in Bristol for females, they are now numerous and growing by the season. This is a national trend.  

Instead of bigging up the top level of womens football and pretending its something that it isn't, more girls and women should be encouraged to play sports full stop ... Which is occurring via the womens national football team. Its success has led to greater interest in female football. A challenge there is to accommodate and facilitate that interest into people playing the game - A very broad topic  as football for all kids at the grass roots level is not as it should be considering the vast wealth of football as the nations favourite sport.

5 hours ago, 054123 said:

Enough people watch football to support a multi billion pound industry and wins almost all ratings wars when the big games are on. That is all you need to know.

In respect of the other teams, no they shouldnt be shut down, but dont complain that very few people choose to watch them, they're not obliged to.

I like to watch what i believe to be good films, not every piece of crap put out there simply because they are there.

And still nobody has answered as to why woman in this country dont wish to support the womens game. As i say the 5live presenters were very vocal in their angst, but i'm pretty sure have made no effort to follow there local womens team. 

Womens games not even fully pro yet and only had leagues for a few years.

Barely got going really.

Watched all the England's games so far.

Heard no angst.

I do get distracted mind as that Sue Smith is on and her hair goes to the same taxidermist as Trumps. 

3 minutes ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Womens games not even fully pro yet and only had leagues for a few years.

Barely got going really.

Watched all the England's games so far.

Heard no angst.

I do get distracted mind as that Sue Smith is on and her hair goes to the same taxidermist as Trumps. 

Fantastic. Am I still obliged to support it?

3 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Fantastic. Am I still obliged to support it?

You are deeply vexed by females paying football.

Put that memory of losing to somebody in a skirt paying Wembley in the school playground and move on.

Used to run and fight.

Trained hard.

But ..

Couch would school me.

Radcliffe ran twenty six miles at a pace I could not run for six or thirteen.

These girls can and are.

On 01/08/2017 at 11:45, Robin101 said:

Not sure the argument makes sense even if made with the best intentions. 

Professional women's teams would play men's Sunday league teams off the pitch, and would no doubt be stronger, fitter, and more skilled than 99% of amateur men. But nobody calls for amateur men's teams to play on smaller pitches. 

As for tennis, there are many calls for women's grand slam tennis to be played over 5 sets not 3. The view is that it's patronising to suggest women can't play for 5 sets, and reinforces the view that women are the 'weaker' sex.   

It is hard to imagine a future in which the women's game is as popular as the men's, but things are slowly changing. Differner sport I know, but didn't the England women's cricket final draw 1.5million tv viewers? 

Just to say that my young brother plays for for an under 19s side in West London and they play the Chelsea Women's squad regularly to help with their match preparations before big games, and they always win comfortably at least by 3 or 4 goals over the women who are pros.

Now my brother and most of his team mates are 17 so I doubt the professional teams would be playing Sunday league teams off the park as you suggest.

6 minutes ago, Thatwasclose said:

Just to say that my young brother plays for for an under 19s side in West London and they play the Chelsea Women's squad regularly to help with their match preparations before big games, and they always win comfortably at least by 3 or 4 goals over the women who are pros.

Now my brother and most of his team mates are 17 so I doubt the professional teams would be playing Sunday league teams off the park as you suggest.

They give it a good go though don't they. Bless!

Archived