IGNORED

Disconnect between Fans and Clubs?

Mr Popodopolous

NOTE- This is a general issue,a  general article not about any club in particular.

Saw this on BBC site. Definitely a much greater disconnect than the past IMO.

I also think we're one of the better clubs for fan engagement, but who knows how this will change with Bristol Sport. 

What do we all think? In particular, about us and Bristol Sport/BCFC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40809479

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

NOTE- This is a general issue,a  general article not about any club in particular.

Saw this on BBC site. Definitely a much greater disconnect than the past IMO.

I also think we're one of the better clubs for fan engagement, but who knows how this will change with Bristol Sport. 

What do we all think? In particular, about us and Bristol Sport/BCFC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40809479

I'm taking a year away from AG because I feel distanced. We don't have a full time SLO, the cheapest ST price has gone up by £50 this year, the atmosphere is getting worse and that Bloody Bristol Sport logo is no prevalent it defies belief. 

That said there is a huge problem in English football where I'd say fans are more disconnected than any other nation. At almost every club in the 92 we are customers and not supporters. Sadly BCFC is one of those clubs and not an exception. 

The focus is on success on the pitch (which isn't even going that well) and not on the many other things that make a Football Club a Club and not just a business. 

13 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'm taking a year away from AG because I feel distanced. We don't have a full time SLO, the cheapest ST price has gone up by £50 this year, the atmosphere is getting worse and that Bloody Bristol Sport logo is no prevalent it defies belief. 

That said there is a huge problem in English football where I'd say fans are more disconnected than any other nation. At almost every club in the 92 we are customers and not supporters. Sadly BCFC is one of those clubs and not an exception. 

The focus is on success on the pitch (which isn't even going that well) and not on the many other things that make a Football Club a Club and not just a business. 

Could not agree more. Unfortunately there are swathes of people in this country who are either content being customers, or care more about having some wine and a pasty at half time than their club. Sickens me. I cant bring myself to stay away though, think id go mental not having that be part of my weekly ritual

13 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Ahh, come on how else is this game of the people, working class game, oh sorry modern industry going to raise enough revenue to fund transfers of individuals worth anything upto £200million etc and generate enough income to make a very high percentage of its employees multi millionaires by their late teens/early twenties...?

Put yer hand in yer pocket mate, there's a heck of a lot of well deserving hungry mouths with expensive tastes to feed who are gracing our beautiful game today ...they've got supercars and luxury pads and essentials like those to buy, so dig deep, you know it makes sense!

The BBC piece is poor so just go directly to the FSF site: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/national-survey-shows-fans-believe-clubs-focus-too-much-on-global-brand

What do I think?

A survey of 8,500 fans - clubs can safely ignore the findings. It's like BCFC looking at OTIB and worrying that it might reflect the average fans thoughts/views.

You only need to look at clubs such as Blackpool and Coventry (with their despised owners) to realise just how little influence fans have in the modern game.

The FSF need to take lessons from the 'Twenty's Plenty' campaign and keep it simple - instead of trotting out a litany of fans gripes, pick the biggest gripe and create a sustained campaign of pressure to get things changed.

Is representation at the board level the first place to start?

15 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

It could well have been worse. The old days have gone for all, the average age of supporters has risen, it was circa 26 or 27 in 1980, now it's circa 50 ( if memory serves) so the number of testosterone filled young lads ready to sing and jump about on the terraces has dropped, physically the terrace has gone and so has the ability for people to gather, unreserved seating still means "places" on a terrace "places" were often fluid during a game and close contact bonded groups reduced barriers and enhanced tribal behaviours. More comfortable surrounds have brought in bigger crowds, not all as passionate or steeped in historical/emotional attachment as were in the past, which links to a more mobile population. More entertainment on offer, so clubs have to compete, Sky Money and TV raising public expectations ( let's face it what we see on the pitch now is streets ahead of 30 years ago- take a look at the Brum Vs City video posted by Mike !!!!!!!) etc, etc....

That costs and people are prepared to pay for better conditions and a better product, which is what we've got. I think the Ashton Gate concourse and food/booze offer is better than anywhere I've been, the Fanzone great and whole social environment very much based on what people wanted. The stadium is what it is, impressive and well designed and the club have and do respond to need, which can take time, but these things take time. Obviously things on the pitch are hit and miss, but hey, that's nothing new!!!!!!! 

So there has been massive change, some don't like change, but I think SL has managed the change really well and given City fans what they asked for within what was possible, given how the game has changed. Attendance is up and closing in on record levels so the General fan base must be happy!

look at the alternative, Tents, portaloos, no roof, no money, no future.......

In some ways I think the club engages well...however I would suggest the club engages on its own terms rather than a 'partnership ' type engagement. 

The club (we are not the only one) has also become very corporate with lots of spin on its announcements/dealings

As a small example...I read that Lansdown didn't do a q and a at an away game last season  and it was forgotten as an 'oversight' ..I. e. The club forgot to  arrange. This was obviously bull and the reason was that he was afraid he'd get pelters owing to our appaling run !! (I don't blame him!!)

We certainly aren't the worst offenders but there has definitely been a shift in the last 5 years or so in my opinion...it's not all for the worst either !

5 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

The BBC piece is poor so just go directly to the FSF site: http://www.fsf.org.uk/latest-news/view/national-survey-shows-fans-believe-clubs-focus-too-much-on-global-brand

What do I think?

A survey of 8,500 fans - clubs can safely ignore the findings. It's like BCFC looking at OTIB and worrying that it might reflect the average fans thoughts/views.

You only need to look at clubs such as Blackpool and Coventry (with their despised owners) to realise just how little influence fans have in the modern game.

The FSF need to take lessons from the 'Twenty's Plenty' campaign and keep it simple - instead of trotting out a litany of fans gripes, pick the biggest gripe and create a sustained campaign of pressure to get things changed.

Is representation at the board level the first place to start?

The FSF launched that in 2013.

8 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Could not agree more. Unfortunately there are swathes of people in this country who are either content being customers, or care more about having some wine and a pasty at half time than their club. Sickens me. I cant bring myself to stay away though, think id go mental not having that be part of my weekly ritual

I'm in the Barnet end at Forest Green tomorrow. Will be taking in some Mangotsfield, Brislington and Manor Farm, as well as a couple of trips abroad to see some football on the continent. It isn't the same but it is like vaping, not the real thing but still quite good. 

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I'm in the Barnet end at Forest Green tomorrow. Will be taking in some Mangotsfield, Brislington and Manor Farm, as well as a couple of trips abroad to see some football on the continent. It isn't the same but it is like vaping, not the real thing but still quite good. 

I will be watching my two lads on Saturdays this season, I will go to lots of different West Country non league grounds, 

This weekend i have a free weekend though, but I just can't get excited about going to the Barnsley game, LJ's tactics last season have left a real sour taste for me, I found the football totally uninspiring, dour and negative.

So rather than fight the M5 and the inevitable standstill traffic, tomorrow I will go and watch an FA cup preliminary round game somewhere in this region. Pay a fiver, have a drink, park up easily and be home by 5.30 pm. 

I would still like to see more realistic pricing and offers to fill the ground.  I love the atmosphere at matches and rows of empry seats can ruin it.

Also pay on the day turnstiles would tempt a few last minute fans.

The upper tier of the west stand looks awful when empty too.  Should have made it available for season cards at least as some of the best seats in the ground are going to waste. It was galling last season to have to pay 35 quid for a lousy seat and seeing the upper tier empty.

Finally, remove away supporters segregation and replace with a solid barrier rather than leaving a block of empty seats and eject and ban trouble makers at the first instance.

On 04/08/2017 at 08:29, freezer said:

by gum?

Nothing to see here, embarrassing phantom post.

My view on the subject is however, the supporter has just become a customer of a business and football now has become corporate. There seems to be more revenue from EFL distribution of TV rights than season tickets sales (Courtesy of Sky/BT Sports)

The lack of communication from Owners/Directors to fans is a worry as is pretty non existent.

I understand some fans of our 'neighbour club' has started to become disenchanted with 'Wally' as it looks like he took over Rovers, expecting the new UWE stadium was a formality, which looks like he may be losing interest in investing in players,as there is no quick way in making money from the deal.

Archived