IGNORED

Ivan Sproule

P'head Red

What a nice bloke! 

(I remember starting a nonsense thread (some things never change eh?) when he first came here about his 'Yellow Boots' .... was the early days for these multi coloured boots that are everywhere nowadays, was a bit different and a novelty for us though back then ( I think? ... or why else would I have started that thread?  Can't remember what shyte I wrote, but it must've been pointless drivel whatever it was :) )

Anyway nice to see that little chat with him, the changes at the Gate must've been quite something for him to see for the first time.

Can't help wondering what part Robbored played in the fracas with GJ (allegedly) which ultimately brought about the end of Ivans stay with the club... (come on, surely Robbo must have had a hand in it somewhere, I'd love to know how much it cost him to turn Ivan into a hitman :) )seriously its water under the bridge now, it'd be interesting to hear the true story of what happened between player and manager, and why it occurred.

45 minutes ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

He had no football brain whatsoever! Albert did more on his debut than he did his entire time here. To think he was one of the trouble makers who wanted Garry out when he rescued him from playing on grass among the horses in Ireland. When he signed he said something about wanting to put bums on seats. He meant be entertaining and be someone to watch but what actually happened was you'd sit there in amazement that he's a professional. Fraud 

Definitely didn't have a football brain,he was a second rate junior bent and that takes some doing 

Ivan was signed from Hibs and had scored a hat trick against a strong Rangers team at Ibrox only a short time before. He is the fastest player I have seen in a City shirt during the 35 years I've followed them. His final ball was erratic at times but he was certainly a threat.

6 hours ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

He had no football brain whatsoever! Albert did more on his debut than he did his entire time here. To think he was one of the trouble makers who wanted Garry out when he rescued him from playing on grass among the horses in Ireland. When he signed he said something about wanting to put bums on seats. He meant be entertaining and be someone to watch but what actually happened was you'd sit there in amazement that he's a professional. Fraud 

Edinburgh is in Ireland now?! :blink:

5 hours ago, bearded_red said:

What a squad that was. Number one is is Ivan Sproule, number two is Ivan Sproule...

What a sad indictment of modern football that this chant is now irrelevant. 

These days....

Numbeer 53 is ........ Number 77 is .........

Like a frigging bingo game!

8 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Good interview that . He was lightning quick . Liked Ivan S

I suppose the practice of denoting players with their initials is difficult sometimes :ph34r:

Always liked IS... still think one of the funniest goals he scored (I can't remember who we were playing) was where the opposition team were desperate to rescue a late point from us and sent their GK up, the ball was kicked back to their half and then their was the scramble for the ball... Ivan was the winner with his speed and ensuing goal.

6 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

I suppose the practice of denoting players with their initials is difficult sometimes :ph34r:

Always liked IS... still think one of the funniest goals he scored (I can't remember who we were playing) was where the opposition team were desperate to rescue a late point from us and sent their GK up, the ball was kicked back to their half and then their was the scramble for the ball... Ivan was the winner with his speed and ensuing goal.

I typed his initials and it didn't feel right. Strange I know. 

10 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

As pointed out to me check the interview goal clip is there. Great viewing

3 minutes ago, tomo said:

Fantastic interview and a top top bloke - it's 99% true with regards to the changing room bust up at Plymouth but a fraud? I think those saying that are thinking about Mcindoe!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/2697742/former-wolves-and-coventry-star-michael-mcindoe-questioned-by-police-after-investors-lost-millions-in-failed-fund/

I am assuming they are saying he was a fraud of a footballer I.e. he wasn't really a footballer just someone that ran quick, rather than he committed fraud. That's how I read it anyway.

I always remember that Plymouth match as it was the 1st match my Mrs attended reluctantly (as we were on holiday in Cornwall) - I remember the players coming out for the 2nd half mega early which did seem very odd at the time. Gary's reign had come to an end but you have to say we did have a great run under him and I'm sure Sproaly and GJ made up in the end - :laugh:!. 

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gary-johnson-sacked-after-dressing-3360530

I get the negativity towards Ivan Sproule the footballer.  One of the most frustrating players we've had in recent years.  You'd get 2, maybe 3 outstanding performances a season out of him, which showed he had the ability, but then he'd be largely ineffective in the 15/20 games in between.  Lacked anything even resembling consistency in terms of good performances.  He was essentially the fast Irish winger version of a certain Mr Tomlin in that respect!  Unplayable on his day, but sadly those days were few and far between.

Notwithstanding that though, he was a trier and a smashing bloke and came through an awful time in his private life..  Ivan Sproule the man? Top banana, but footballing wise, I didn't feel any loss when he moved on.  Nice to see we're still fondly thought of by him though.  It does seem to be the case quite often that many ex players, no matter where they originate from, end up settling in the area or returning here after there career comes to an end, with a real affinity for the club.

Archived