IGNORED

cotts on sky

cityred exile

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Well yes, I did say 'if he achieves success'. 

He'd have to get promotion and have a good cup run (quarter finals onwards) to be seen as a success by some.

He could deliver on his 'Europa League in 5 years' statement, and there'd still be people who didn't rate him.

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

He could deliver on his 'Europa League in 5 years' statement, and there'd still be people who didn't rate him.

Let's just see whether people come around when he's proved something?

The myth of people never trusting LJ or not wanting him to succeed is beginning to get a little grating.

I for one am a quite happy to be proved wrong, maybe this season?

Can only hope.

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I have a theory that there's a section of our support who really warmed to Cotterill - and not at all to Johnson because of how they relate to him. This totally disregards the football aspect by the way, just the personalities.

Cotterill spoke with a West Country accent (of sorts) he's a bit closer to what appears to be the average age at AG (45-55). Johnson, by comparison, may remind people of booksmart middle managers at work. Younger than them and full of fancy ideas and theories that they see as superfluous rubbish.

People come to football to escape from work and much prefer us being managed be someone they could relate to more. 

Might be total rubbish but just one theory I have about a section of our support's preference.

Crikey, Phileas....... that's a helluva insight.  Top marks, fella.    I suspect that you're a psychologist in real life (or a closet one in your spare time). That's the sort of work I get handsomely paid for in my professional time, when I can be arsed.  However, I fear that if we ever met up for a pre-match pint, you'd have me marked down as a mad axe murderer in no time at all!!  Keep up the good work 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Don't think he ever blanked him, was a bit of a myth that came about from unfortunate camera work.

oh I don't know…I think he blanked him. Cotts was offering to shake his hand and LJ walked round the back of him (or the person in-between) to avoid him. Naughty

8 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Lansdown only opened the chequebook because players like Tomlin, Odemwingie and Goldbourne wouldn't have fitted in Cotterills stubborn 3-5-2, I love the man for what he did in getting us to the championship but we would have certainly gone down if we'd kept him here, we were getting torn apart every week and that was because of his stubbornness in sticking to a formation that didn't work, no matter what players we used

Think Tomlin would have been ideal in the 5212 we played.  Freeman didn't cut it there, but Tomlin might have been excellent.

Odemwingie might've played alongside Kodjia, with Tomlin in behind.

Agree SG wouldn't have been a good LWB.

59 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

oh I don't know…I think he blanked him. Cotts was offering to shake his hand and LJ walked round the back of him (or the person in-between) to avoid him. Naughty

They'd shaken hands before the cameras rolled apparently, nothing in this imo.

1 hour ago, jackofromrugby said:

Crikey, Phileas....... that's a helluva insight.  Top marks, fella.    I suspect that you're a psychologist in real life (or a closet one in your spare time). That's the sort of work I get handsomely paid for in my professional time, when I can be arsed.  However, I fear that if we ever met up for a pre-match pint, you'd have me marked down as a mad axe murderer in no time at all!!  Keep up the good work 

Haha thanks! Just what I picked up from here/social media/talking to people. 

People just like football to be as it was intended - fun, an escape from 'real life' and a release. Hence all the disdain towards Ashton's buzzwords and scorn towards LJ's PowerPoint presentation. Too much like work, too much like managers at work, not how it 'should be'.

Might be totally wrong of course, just my take!

Just now, exAtyeoMax said:

why not just shake hands? :dunno:

I'd have preferred Cotts to go in for one of those air kisses that the continentals go in for but ends up in such social awkwardness for us brits. 

Air kiss, on the cheek, one cheek or two?

Bringing me out in hives just thinking about it.

10 minutes ago, RumRed said:

I'd have preferred Cotts to go in for one of those air kisses that the continentals go in for but ends up in such social awkwardness for us brits. 

Air kiss, on the cheek, one cheek or two?

Bringing me out in hives just thinking about it.

…and he could've goosed him live on air :noexp:

22 hours ago, 29AR said:

All I have to say on SC is he delivered a double winning season within a year of us looking worse than relegation fodder; we were #$%&ing abject. That LJ run never tested my patience anything close to SC's predecessor did, who almost got me to pursue other passions. 

He really, really turned us around and did such a good job in it I doubt if I will see a more successful "short term" manager at the Gate. 

He got frankly shameful support after that double winning season when he needed it. I do not expect him to speak highly of this club (except for the fan base). If he is bitter, with damn good and justifiable reason imo. Look at Andre Grey today?! How sick must he feel and how bloody foolish should some in the boardroom feel? 

I have seen people suggesting Flint is a club legend; for me he isn't, the most recent one is Steve Cotterill. Even more so if he encourages for us a big bid for a player we clearly neither need, nor want. 

Excellent post.

I liked Cotterill, what City fan wouldn't but he wouldnt have had the guts to get rid of majority of the promotion squad who were poor for us in this League, which was what we needed doing.

We also wouldn't have Reid in the side now and many other young players looking promising.

Cotterill is still a club Legend but his loyalty to his some of his players, 352 and his attitude was what led to his dismissal.

Archived