IGNORED

Baker Hegler or Wright against Birmingham ?

OCRed

13 minutes ago, Distortia said:

If Hegeler hasn't played midweek, I would've said him. But as he did I'd start Baker and Wright.

The players crave games at this stage of the season....3 games in a week, no problems at the mo', and in fairness did Jen's break sweat on Tuesday?  Only played 69 mins too.

If I was in LJ's position. I'd probably go Hegeler.

Hegeler did make the odd eye catching majestic foray out of defence last week but a poor Barnsley team gave him the time and space to do so. In general his distribution and clearances were no better than Flint, who is much maligned in that respect by some. In fact I thought if anything not as good on the day, with plenty of fairly aimless long punts and fly hacks into touch.

Not really tested as a defender by the Tykes either - I suspect the far more robust Baker will replace him for the much tougher fixture tomorrow and we won't be seeing much of Hegeler in his much less favoured position again barring injuries now that LJ's first choices of Wright and Baker are available.

5 hours ago, Robin TBW said:

Hegeler and Wright.

With Baker picking up a knock in midweek, worth giving him a chance to fix-up since Hegeler and Wright worked out nicely against Barnsley.

It was a touch of cramp and wasn't a knock so would be over that for today

23 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Whereas last October he marked him out of the game (and Donaldson didn't score) in a Brum Derby...

Baker played in the home game in April, too (a 1-0 win) but Donaldson was injured then though..

Maybe because he was playing alongside Chester, a Man Utd product, with a decade of experience, incl several seasons in the Premiership? it was 1-1, it's not like Bakes helped keep a clean sheet...

Lots of people talking about Flint as the problem for us letting so many goals in, in the Champ. Lots of people saying not his fault. Whose-ever fault it is, Bakes isn't going to sort that out by himself. He didn't today and he won't all season.

1 minute ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Maybe because he was playing alongside Chester, a Man Utd product, with a decade of experience, incl several seasons in the Premiership? it was 1-1, it's not like Bakes helped keep a clean sheet...

Lots of people talking about Flint as the problem for us letting so many goals in, in the Champ. Lots of people saying not his fault. Whose-ever fault it is, Bakes isn't going to sort that out by himself. He didn't today and he won't all season.

The reason we let in so many goals last season was IMO very little to do with centre halves and everything to do with full backs being poor and midfielders giving the ball away cheaply.  I think Pisano improves us a lot and if Bryan settles into some form we'll be fine on the left.  Flint looks like he's going, the best two left are Wright and Baker.  Wright will be better on the right side of the pair (in particular his passing) which is handy because Baker is better on the left.  I think that will be where we end up and probably for the next two seasons.

1 hour ago, Nibor said:

The reason we let in so many goals last season was IMO very little to do with centre halves and everything to do with full backs being poor and midfielders giving the ball away cheaply.  I think Pisano improves us a lot and if Bryan settles into some form we'll be fine on the left.  Flint looks like he's going, the best two left are Wright and Baker.  Wright will be better on the right side of the pair (in particular his passing) which is handy because Baker is better on the left.  I think that will be where we end up and probably for the next two seasons.

I shouldn't get too excited about a) Wright's distribution or passing (from the [w]right or the left, it's poor from wherever); b) Baker's being on the left; or c) Bryan settling in to any form when he's in his least effective position, but a position identified by the manager who sees him as Premiership class there. i agree it's not just the centre-haves fault, but I don't see how Baker moves us up a level (to mid-table) if that's the case. They're all still being coached by the same manager, a manager who appears unable in all of his coaching career to coach defending. 20th'll do us this year.

2 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Baker didn't play today.

While the Flint situation sorts itself out I would think our strongest back four is Pisano, Wright, Baker, Bryan.

Hegeler is a more than competent footballer and has done well starting the season there but I think Baker is the stronger of the two. Taking Birmingham's winner in isolation after Pack is outjumped from the throw in and Eliasson was wrong side of the goal scorer, unless it's the angle Hegeler had plenty of time to close that out but it was weak defending. I'm pretty sure Baker would have slid straight in on that.

As for Flint, we know he can do a good job there but I think unless we are struggling at the back or we are hit by injuries he'll have to earn his place back. I'm not too convinced we will struggle there, that goal for instance came from two clear faults prior to it getting to that position. 

1 hour ago, Flagon said:

While the Flint situation sorts itself out I would think our strongest back four is Pisano, Wright, Baker, Bryan.

Hegeler is a more than competent footballer and has done well starting the season there but I think Baker is the stronger of the two. Taking Birmingham's winner in isolation after Pack is outjumped from the throw in and Eliasson was wrong side of the goal scorer, unless it's the angle Hegeler had plenty of time to close that out but it was weak defending. I'm pretty sure Baker would have slid straight in on that.

As for Flint, we know he can do a good job there but I think unless we are struggling at the back or we are hit by injuries he'll have to earn his place back. I'm not too convinced we will struggle there, that goal for instance came from two clear faults prior to it getting to that position. 

Just watched the EFL goals on Sky and have to agree with that mate. Hegeler the one who needed to get stuck in to Maghoma but just tracked him.

JFH in the studio basically said great strike but crap defending helped.

Archived