IGNORED

Good news: mirror image of first away game last season

Olé

On 13/08/2017 at 20:24, EnclosureSurge said:

I think this is a good point, we play with two midfielders (Pack/Smith) who have very similar attributes (as well as discrete skills). One of their shared attributes is a distinct lack of goals (making Plymouth on a par with Cheltenham, frankly). Neat and tidy, both; tackle ok/very well; neither really get forward. It was heartening to see Smith in the box when we went 1-0 up and he's talked about and is getting further forward currently...but why?! He's just not a finisher or a great striker of the ball. If Pack had his energy/agility, he'd be better placed in and around the box as he can hit the ball well. They are too similar in their weaknesses yet they are the best central midfielders we have. An odd conundrum. unless we buy a Shelts/MElliott type, we might as well forget goals from central midfield. We are both improved and hampered by having the two of them in midfield. Shame as I like both (and it should be all about who I like).

Given the personnel that LJ is putting together, I think that he anticipates our midfield goal threat coming from the wings rather than the central midfield area. Paterson and Eliasson cutting in and attacking the box, with Pisano and Bryan providing the width. This means that Pack and Smith can't be too adventurous as they'll have to cover the full backs when they get forward. I'd like to see Brownhill in there once Eliasson is settled, but that might make us even more cavalier than we already seem to be

PS cracking original post from @Olé, detailed and well thought out opinions backed up with actual observations are a rare and welcome commodity 

Archived