IGNORED

Autobiographies

Big Red Rich

I've never exactly been a bookworm in my life but over the years I've really got into autobiographies. To date I've done Christian Roberts, Simon Jordan, Paul Merson, Keith Gillespie, Dave Kitson - I mean The Secret Footballer sorry and I'm currently two thirds through Tony Adams - Sober.  I've also read David Jason's which was bought for me as a gift but thoroughly enjoyed. 

What autobiogs have you read & could recommend?

55 minutes ago, Big Red Rich said:

I've never exactly been a bookworm in my life but over the years I've really got into autobiographies. To date I've done Christian Roberts, Simon Jordan, Paul Merson, Keith Gillespie, Dave Kitson - I mean The Secret Footballer sorry and I'm currently two thirds through Tony Adams - Sober.  I've also read David Jason's which was bought for me as a gift but thoroughly enjoyed. 

What autobiogs have you read & could recommend?

Rich, I only read autobiographies. Vinnie Jones is a very good read and gives you a real insight into hoe he ticks. Also very inspirational when you see where he came from. I currently have Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles in the queue. Have read all those you mention with the exception of Keith Gillespie.  Brendan O'Carroll (Mrs Browns Boys) had me piddling myself on my last trip to Oz. If you're into music then Ian Hunter's "Diary of a Rock and Roll Star" is an absolute must. Problem is it is quite rare and VERY expensive. Other good ones are Ralphie Milne, Noel Gallagher, Ian Meldrum (if you have lived in Oz) and so many more.

29 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Rich, I only read autobiographies. Vinnie Jones is a very good read and gives you a real insight into hoe he ticks. Also very inspirational when you see where he came from. I currently have Rodney Marsh and Stan Bowles in the queue. Have read all those you mention with the exception of Keith Gillespie.  Brendan O'Carroll (Mrs Browns Boys) had me piddling myself on my last trip to Oz. If you're into music then Ian Hunter's "Diary of a Rock and Roll Star" is an absolute must. Problem is it is quite rare and VERY expensive. Other good ones are Ralphie Milne, Noel Gallagher, Ian Meldrum (if you have lived in Oz) and so many more.

Agree with Brendan O'Carroll, very insightful but also very amusing at the same time. 

I'm into my music, and have just finished Iron Maiden Run To The Hills, and Paul Dianno - The Beast (former lead singer of Iron Maiden). Both a good read (Iron Maiden more so) if you like the band.

Have previously read a load of wrestling biographies, the better ones being Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin.

Have the David Jason one to read at some point actually, might crack on with that next after I've finished my current book.

Away from biographies, I would recommend any Jo Nesbo books. Crime thrillers, along the similar lines as the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series (also very good). The Snowman is one of his better ones, which is actually being made into a film.

3 minutes ago, Taz said:

Away from biographies, I would recommend any Jo Nesbo books. Crime thrillers, along the similar lines as the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series (also very good). The Snowman is one of his better ones, which is actually being made into a film.

Am working my way through Jo Nesbo's, Harry Hole novels. At present am on 'The Leopard'. I thought 'The Snowman' was excellent.

16 minutes ago, PunkRockDad said:

Am working my way through Jo Nesbo's, Harry Hole novels. At present am on 'The Leopard'. I thought 'The Snowman' was excellent.

Just started reading Cockroaches last night (was released after the snowman over here but wrote before it along with bats). Have 4 after this one (the son, police, blood on snow and midnight something) which have all been bought for me and not got round to reading yet. Think there's also 1 or 2 newer ones again...

Also worth checking out headhunters (if you've not already). Not a Harry Hole book but still a cracking read. That was also made into a film as well actually, worth watching too :thumbsup:

Julian Cope..Head On/ Repossessed is a good one. Boy, that lad shifted some booze and narcotics.

I also enjoyed Twisting My Melon, by Shaun Ryder (excessive drugs, scallyish behaviour etc, etc)

Biographies are more my thing. Scott of the Antarctic and Jesse James were both very good (but weighty).

21 hours ago, Taz said:

Agree with Brendan O'Carroll, very insightful but also very amusing at the same time. 

I'm into my music, and have just finished Iron Maiden Run To The Hills, and Paul Dianno - The Beast (former lead singer of Iron Maiden). Both a good read (Iron Maiden more so) if you like the band.

Have previously read a load of wrestling biographies, the better ones being Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin.

Have the David Jason one to read at some point actually, might crack on with that next after I've finished my current book.

Mickey Bradley from the Undertones is a good read as well.

Danny Baker`s autobiography is excellent as are Suggs and Elvis Costello. There were some very good Bowie ones that came out after he died - Paul Morley`s was probably the best for me.

Warning: Only read Morrissey`s if you really want to lose the will to live, it truly is a load of tedious,  self pitying bollocks.

The last biography I read was William Pitt the younger by William Hague!!

I know, I know. My only excuse is that Pitt and his parents lived just a couple of miles from my house. They were in Curry Rivel, here in Somerset, which came as a surprise.

I'm sitting here looking at Peter Cook's "Tragically I was an only twin", which I must get round to.

Football? Well I read Iniesta's but I wasn't impressed.

Stephen Fry, the first one. John Peel is very good, Bobby Robson and Jimmy Greaves I enjoyed. If you like 60's music Stoned , the Andrew Loog Oldham book is brilliant. Just 3/4 through Kieth Moons 'Dear boy' which I'm enjoying.  Plus CB Fry is worth looking out for.

4 hours ago, petehinton said:

Neil Warnock's is absolutely brilliant. As is Simon Jordan's. Harry Redknapp's really good too.

Read all 3 and agree 100% ............. especially Jordan's.  Warnock was also very complimentary about us in his book if I recall. He called us a "proper" football club.

Archived