IGNORED

Agents

tompo

I think some people missed the point and thought that £13k wasn't a bad figure, but as you say these players are supposed to represent the players not the clubs. It sounds from an outsiders point of view that it is almost a form of blackmail (pay me and I will let my players sign).

Some clubs make a stand, it was no surprise to me to hear that Ian Dowie pulled out of the Cahill deal because of a payment demanded by his agent. The man has principles.

What I don't understand is that the players let these leeches take their 5-10% when the PFA will supply the same services for nothing, it can only be a status symbol among fellow professionals.

I think some people missed the point and thought that £13k wasn't a bad figure, but as you say these players are supposed to represent the players not the clubs. It sounds from an outsiders point of view that it is almost a form of blackmail (pay me and I will let my players sign).

Some clubs make a stand, it was no surprise to me to hear that Ian Dowie pulled out of the Cahill deal because of a payment demanded by his agent. The man has principles.

What I don't understand is that the players let these leeches take their 5-10% when the PFA will supply the same services for nothing, it can only be a status symbol among fellow professionals.

Watching football diaries gave me a little insight into the role of agents. I know I'm generalising but football players aren't the cleverist of people. They need someone to look after their best interests. I remember a lot used to have their dad involved or mum to get them a better deal than they could of. They also get them involved in charity events, opening supermarkets, being in the paper and increasing their profile. They do a lot of work that we don't see, we only see them asking for money.

A football agent is not necessarily a bad thing. They serve the player well. I think that is the main point, they serve the player not the club so all their money should come from the player.

A football agent is not necessarily a bad thing. They serve the player well. I think that is the main point, they serve the player not the club so all their money should come from the player.

Quite right. I think it's a mistake to assume that all agents are bad. If they can make sure their clients are paid a fair wage and look after their interets outside the game, then I don't have a problem with that.

I have an agent in my line of work. She handles contracts on my behalf, negotiates fees with my employers and generally acts as a sounding board and adviser for my career. I'm happy to pay her 10% of my income, because I reckon she probably increases my earnings by at least twice that, and it also frees me up to get on with my work and not have to get into wrangles about money.

But what she doesn't do is charge a fee to my employers as well. She's there solely to represent me. This idea that football agents can collect two rake-offs, one from their client and one from the club is wrong. If a player want to pay an agent to represent him, all well and good, but I fail to understand why the club should also pay the agent for the dubious privilege of having to pay their client more money.

This idea that football agents can collect two rake-offs, one from their client and one from the club is wrong. If a player want to pay an agent to represent him, all well and good, but I fail to understand why the club should also pay the agent for the dubious privilege of having to pay their client more money.

Archived